Time for Paid Parking?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: Time for Paid Parking?

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:38 pm

Folks - this isn't a legitimate question considering the source. It's Steve picking a fight with the basketball fans.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:04 pm

So much fun to wait to enter a parking lot, while an attendant fiddles with a bunch of bills. Or worse, trying to figure out the UI for a poorly written parking app. If I were a casual fan, I'd definitely put that in my negative column for reasons not to attend.

Parking fees just because we can is as bad an idea as ESPN dedicating the month of August to a bunch of 10 years olds playing baseball.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:53 am

Steve seems to feel that perhaps a fan should pay for everything - perhaps he works for Umass Athletics.

On another post he was praising the benefits of the new 'Gridiron Club New and Enhanced Benefits'. All that is, is a means to get $250 from each donor to contribute to the Gridiron Club to get a benefit (parking in lot 11) that was free to season ticketholders.

The idea to charge for basketball parking, when they can't draw flies to begin with, is absurd.

Perhaps the UMass Athletic Department should recognize they are dealing from a position of weakness - not strength.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:09 am

vanmeter wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:53 am Steve seems to feel that perhaps a fan should pay for everything - perhaps he works for Umass Athletics.

On another post he was praising the benefits of the new 'Gridiron Club New and Enhanced Benefits'. All that is, is a means to get $250 from each donor to contribute to the Gridiron Club to get a benefit (parking in lot 11) that was free to season ticketholders.

The idea to charge for basketball parking, when they can't draw flies to begin with, is absurd.

Perhaps the UMass Athletic Department should recognize they are dealing from a position of weakness - not strength.
Parking in lot 11 was not free to STH. It’s been $50 per space for at least three seasons if not more.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:08 am

Yet another reason for people to pay for streaming services and watch almost every game...home and away...from home, instead of going. NFW!
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:49 am

I have been here in NC for 7.5 years now. One year we played SC down in Columbia and I had to pay $ 30 to park a bit from the stadium . They were having the SC state fair going on then in the parking lot near the stadium. They had FREE shuttle service to and from the stadium.

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:31 pm

vanmeter wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:53 am Steve seems to feel that perhaps a fan should pay for everything - perhaps he works for Umass Athletics. .....

I couldn't agree more
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:23 pm

LS71 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:08 am Yet another reason for people to pay for streaming services and watch almost every game...home and away...from home, instead of going. NFW!
$50 is for the entire season not per game.

Uminuteman
Senior

Post by Uminuteman » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:44 pm

The answer to the question is "NO!!". Mike please lock this thread up.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:58 pm

I like that we have a couple of new recruits coming in and this thread has been at the top of the page most of the day.

I
COULDN’T
GIVE
LESS
OF
A
SHIT
IF
I
WAS
CONSTIPATED
"I wrote a column and it went national"

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:58 pm

Uminuteman wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:44 pm The answer to the question is "NO!!". Mike please lock this thread up.
The motion is seconded.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:31 am

vanmeter wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:53 am Steve seems to feel that perhaps a fan should pay for everything - perhaps he works for Umass Athletics.

Yes it was free during the FCS days of free football parking. The increased cost of FBS probably lead to paid parking for football non season ticket holders and extra season ticket cost to Lot 11. So with the nearly 1M increase in basketball staff did think of where is the money coming from.

It is in the same vain. Not everyone can make a commitment to season tickets, especially basketball with over half seemly to be during the work week. But if you donate a little then there is a perk of free parking. Lot 12, which is like lot 22 at McGuirk. Lot 25 is like lot 11 at McGuirk. These are small donations for the perks, but some only make sense if there was paid Lot 12 parking. That said, not sure how we continue to fund basketball coaches terminations and an increase of almost 100% over what DK salary. Even without same day parking for Lot 12, do like a lesser donation to gain access for the back of Lot 25. We have people there anyways at the entrance and to the front section of lot25.

Have high hopes for the basketball season, Coach Martin, staff and roster, but concerned about the close to 1M increase in HC pay, if the 1.8M package is true and tend to believe it is.

Do try to spur more basketball donation and mention things around the annual gift giving. Donation and money to Athletics is necessary especially to compete with the big time schools. Non power conferences are fighting for at-large bids and only the stronger ones succeed. Don't like the A10 only receiving 2 bids for the last 5 years ( There where no bids in 2020 but all indications were the A10 would get 2 or 1 bid depending on the A10 tourney.) Think Loyola-Chicago will help but the top of the A10 needs more teams in the Top 40 fighting for at-large bids. Like the investments in the coaching staff but we also need to pay for the bills or other areas could get cut.
Go UMass!!