Frank Martin he’s one of us!

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Junior

Re: Frank Martin he’s one of us!

Post by 5150 » Wed May 25, 2022 8:59 pm

What a great post.

Let's get some asses in those seats!

iwearglovesndhat
Senior

Post by iwearglovesndhat » Thu May 26, 2022 8:42 am

zzz

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu May 26, 2022 9:22 am

Agree that Frank has said and done all the right things that since he was hired, and it is nice to have an adult in the head chair.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Thu May 26, 2022 10:30 am

PreecherJenkins wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:22 am Agree that Frank has said and done all the right things that since he was hired, and it is nice to have an adult in the head chair.
Speaking of adults, does anyone happen to know Frank’s middle name?

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Thu May 26, 2022 11:02 am

^ If you accept Wikipedia… Francisco José Martin

BillGASox1
Sophomore

Post by BillGASox1 » Thu May 26, 2022 1:09 pm

in the early 70s, Tom, along with other UMass stalwarts, Billy Endicott (Somerville HS), Greg Duarte (New Bedford), Peter Trow, Rick Pitino, Al Skinner, etc., caused the Cage to be filled beyond capacity at least an hour before tip off. The walk up North Pleasant Street was half the fun! When UConn, and URI visited, the crowd was well lubricated, and totally insane... let's hope for a resurrection of those type crowds with our new coach, and hopefully, new look offense/defense.
Hard to imagine a more loyal ambassador for UMass basketball than Tom McLaughlin, a Coach Leaman protege.

tom mclaughlin
Junior

Post by tom mclaughlin » Thu May 26, 2022 2:22 pm

Thanks for the kind words and yes I’m very proud of having played @ UMass with some great teammates and when we were together at the statue dedication it dawned on me that there aren’t many university’s that you can go to and come back 50 years later and have teammates that you consider friends for life. You couldn’t find better friends then Julius Erving, Al Skinner, John Murphy RIP, Tommy Austin RIP, Peter Trow RIP, Rick Vogeley (44 in your program number 1 in your heart), Billy Endicott, Charlie Peters, Chuck Olsen, Sam Provo, Greg Duarte, Mike Stokes, Billy Greeley, Bob Dempsey, Joe Artime and yes even Rick Pitino.
I was very fortunate and met my wife Debbie diving after a loose ball in the packed stands in the Cage and over 40 years of marriage and 4 kids of our own and 10 grandkids Amherst was a special place for us. We also delivered our son Tommy John in our home on Station Road in a freak April snowstorm. Tommy was a lot smarter then his dad and graduated from Princeton. I’ve seen a lot in my life working at Stanford and Notre Dame and representing pro athletes with legendary sports attorney Bob Woolf but I look back on my years @ UMass as special. What made it special was playing with great guys in front of the greatest fans in New England. When 7,000 of you showed up at Madison Square Garden to rush the floor after we beat number 12 Missouri was incredible and when we played at the Cage to see students lining up out in the cold and waiting hours to squeeze into those uncomfortable wooden bleachers on a dirt floor can’t be overlooked.
Also to have the honor to play alongside Julius Erving and guys like Al Skinner are memories that last a lifetime. To play for a coach like Jack Leaman was also an honor because he took a chance on this transfer from Tennessee.
UMass is a great University with great people and is so under appreciated but this kid from the Bronx is eternally grateful to have worn a UMass uniform and played with some really good ball players but even better people. Life is short as we all get older and we see teammates pass away but I’ve tried to pass on to people the fact that UMass is special. Julius Erving, Jack Leaman, John Calipari and Marcus Camby are legends in the basketball world and they all got their start in little old Amherst. We cannot ever take the University of Massachusetts for granted and as Jack Leaman always yelled after a tough loss “have some Pride” after all these years I guess it stuck with me and I have Pride in the University and playing Basketball at the University of Massachusetts.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri May 27, 2022 8:00 am

Way to represent, Tom! 8)

It’s good to know that our coach gets it. UMass hoops has been more than just a game for me over the years. I haven’t felt this good about the program’s future in very long time!

Go UMass!
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri May 27, 2022 8:17 am

Agree 1000% LS

We are lucky to have Tom locally to represent the program. A former player AND coach who truely loves UMass, love to see it. Frank Martin seems like such a great fit. Ties to the area, proven record of ability to win, wants to be in Amherst, a personality to give a presence to the program & school, and by all accounts a guy with great character. I hope he's here and successful for a very long time
Time to Win

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Fri May 27, 2022 9:38 am

Speaking for myself, and I bet almost everyone else here, it's been a very very long time since we been this excited for UMass basketball next season, and in the upcoming years. Frank is a tank, and he is the real deal! I already feel his love and passion for UMass and Amherst - he is the perfect personality that can capture anyone's attention and make them believe in Western Mass as their new home.

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Fri May 27, 2022 11:01 am

tdmass wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:57 pm ^ First things first! The majority of alumni and fan base are to the east and that's where you start! I'm sure in time he'll get out there.
Coach Martin said at the "Coaches Caravan" event the other day that one of the first calls he made after taking the UMass job was to John Calipari. He said Coach Cal told him to make it a top priority to reach out to alumni and fans in eastern Massachusetts. Obviously, that has already begun.

By the way, kudos to AD Bamford and the Athletic Department for organizing this event. It's a great idea and they plan to make it an annual thing.

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Fri May 27, 2022 3:19 pm

One of his best endorsements of him is how much he is still revered in South Carolina by the fans, community, and players. When he was let go the Twitter posts were all sadness that he was leaving and many of the people in the know all said what happened to him wasn't fair.
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Fri May 27, 2022 9:05 pm

I'm not in the know, but I agree it wasn't fair. He competed in the SEC at a school that historically has a difficult time competing in the SEC. Fair or not, I'm glad he's at UMass!

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Tue May 31, 2022 3:09 pm

So Carolina is fine, and competes well in FB, Baseball, and WBB to name 3. I'd restrict comments to MBB.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...