Expectations for 2022-23 Season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

Expectations for 2022/2023 Season

Top 2 in A-10, NCAA tourney
7%
3-4 in A-10, NCAA bubble, NIT bid
40%
5-6 in A-10, NIT bubble
33%
7-8 in A-10
11%
9-10 in A-10
2%
Other
6%

Total votes: 97

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Re: Expectations for 2022-23 Season

Post by eldonabe » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:52 am

stevemaz wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:23 am I think a good goal for the rest of the regular season is to win 8 more games. 3 road games where i think we will be favored are St Joe, Las, and RI. The game at Fordham is probably a pickem. I would like to see wins in all 4 as the the home schedule is much tougher.

The A 10 tourney is wide open where as many as 10 teams could cut down the nets, UMass included (I have ruled out RI, St Joe, GW, Las, and Loyola). The key will be to finish in worst case 9th place to avoid a play in game (4th would be better, but that will be tough i think).
Dude you have included Umass and excluded to teams who we have already lost to and a third that probably will beat (us) Loyola.

Do you work for INSA or something?

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:58 am

eldonabe wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:52 am
stevemaz wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:23 am I think a good goal for the rest of the regular season is to win 8 more games. 3 road games where i think we will be favored are St Joe, Las, and RI. The game at Fordham is probably a pickem. I would like to see wins in all 4 as the the home schedule is much tougher.

The A 10 tourney is wide open where as many as 10 teams could cut down the nets, UMass included (I have ruled out RI, St Joe, GW, Las, and Loyola). The key will be to finish in worst case 9th place to avoid a play in game (4th would be better, but that will be tough i think).
Dude you have included Umass and excluded to teams who we have already lost to and a third that probably will beat (us) Loyola.

Loyalo is en route to last place finish..

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:48 am

stevemaz wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:58 am
eldonabe wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:52 am

Loyalo is en route to last place finish..
The potential for us and talent level for us is better than the teams we lost to (GW and LaSalle). Neither of those teams look like they could string together the wins in a tournament. The depth that UMass has and skill-if they can be consistent- gives them an outside shot at winning the A10 tournament. Losses in January are not necessarily predictors of outcomes in March.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:18 am

8 more wins is going to be tough. We know there’s no “gimmes” considering we lost to LaSalle at home, but the only win you could comfortably count right now is really Loyola at home.

They have the talent to finish top half of the league. Just need to execute.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:38 am

Worcester_To_Amherst wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:18 am 8 more wins is going to be tough. We know there’s no “gimmes” considering we lost to LaSalle at home, but the only win you could comfortably count right now is really Loyola at home.

They have the talent to finish top half of the league. Just need to execute.
Yea i know it is going to be tough, but it is a good goal as goals are never meant to be easily attained. The key is just finish at worst 9th to avoid the play in game. I think the one team we need to avoid in tournament may be Duquesne because they have a lot of quickness, which is our weakness.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:12 am

I had asked this before, but I can't that post.... either way I asked it way too early on anyways:

Does anyone have a breakdown of our wins and losses based on the Assistant that is running the game plan for that opponent? We know from discussions early on that Frank has each Assistant scout opponents and put together that game plan, and we see that specific Assistant sit in the 1st seat and is usually very active. DK was that person last night, for reference.

I'd be curious to get some sort of assessment/breakdown on this...
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:32 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:12 am I had asked this before, but I can't that post.... either way I asked it way too early on anyways:

Does anyone have a breakdown of our wins and losses based on the Assistant that is running the game plan for that opponent? We know from discussions early on that Frank has each Assistant scout opponents and put together that game plan, and we see that specific Assistant sit in the 1st seat and is usually very active. DK was that person last night, for reference.

Oh man, you are giving me an itchy trigger finger IV.....

palm14
Sophomore

Post by palm14 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:22 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:12 am I had asked this before, but I can't that post.... either way I asked it way too early on anyways:

I re-watch every game because I'm a sick mf'er.

DK was very active in the 1st half last night. Probably the most active I've seen an assistant be this season. A neutral could be forgiven for thinking he was the HC during the times Frank walked out of frame (which I notice he does a lot :lol: ). At one point during the GW game Frank was out of TV view for so long I thought he went to the bathroom.

In the 2nd half the three assistants were largely relegated to sitting in their chairs while Frank directed the team against the press.

Regardless, a depressing loss that everyone has to take accountability for.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:55 pm

palm14 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:22 pm

I re-watch every game because I'm a sick mf'er.

DK was very active in the 1st half last night. Probably the most active I've seen an assistant be this season. A neutral could be forgiven for thinking he was the HC during the times Frank walked out of frame (which I notice he does a lot :lol: ). At one point during the GW game Frank was out of TV view for so long I thought he went to the bathroom.

In the 2nd half the three assistants were largely relegated to sitting in their chairs while Frank directed the team against the press.

Regardless, a depressing loss that everyone has to take accountability for.

Right, one assistant is active each game because they scout that specific opponent. I'm hoping someone (maybe you?) has an assessment of who was doing that during each game. I was only pointing to DK as a reference in case people didn't know what I was referring to.

This discussion originated after Game 1 when people notice this from DK, plus Allan Edwards mentioned it pregame to the Court Club gathering about how the assistants function.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:44 pm

We need the top assistant record. I’m sure some of you guys on here are sitting near the bench every game or at least watching every game. I know DK was at USF so he’s at least 1-1.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:21 pm

We have a chance to make a statement in our next 3 games, 2 at home plus @ St. Joes. The advance predictions on 2 sites have all 3 games at 2 points or less. It's time for us to get our act together. If we can sweep it will get me off the ledge and maybe a few others.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:56 am

let's start that today. Richmond could go either way, but I feel Duq will be a tougher game.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:54 am

Well they sure did make a statement yesterday.

They are not good.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:05 am

Just got to get it together in time for the tourney. Get Noah back & healthy, and if they're peaking then, this lull will be a blip on the season. There's time to put it together
Time to Win

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:47 am

After a night to chill out and some medicinal spirits, I'm looking for some positives. We need a few things to happen but if they come together I actually think we can win most of our remaining games. I don't have any idea of how Frank's interaction with social media impacts the players so I'm leaving that aspect out of my discussion.

In general:
Start playing defense
Stop playing hero ball

Specific:
We have 4 guys who have played pretty well for most of the season (Noah, Cross, DD, Luis). They have to keep it up and Noah has to be healthy.
Rashool has to be somewhere in between how he played against SLU and SJU. I have hopes he can. He played well with a lot of pressure on him.
Gapare has to start being closer to the player we expected. No more excuses about getting here late. We're 19 games/many practices in by now.
TJ, Wildens and Kante need to be more consistent. They average 20 points and 12 boards. Need that most games.

That's the rotation and I'm not kidding when I say that this group, if they get their act together, can win a lot of games. The issue seems to be more mental than physical (other than missing an absurd amount of layups - which might be mental as well).