Expectations for 2022-23 Season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

Expectations for 2022/2023 Season

Top 2 in A-10, NCAA tourney
7%
3-4 in A-10, NCAA bubble, NIT bid
40%
5-6 in A-10, NIT bubble
33%
7-8 in A-10
11%
9-10 in A-10
2%
Other
6%

Total votes: 97

69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: Expectations for 2022-23 Season

Post by 69MG » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:53 am

If you follow South Carolina BB fan comments, there is a lot of discussion on "why did we fire Frank?". Here's the latest headline:
GW Blows Out South Carolina, Silences Projected Lottery Pick G.G. Jackson in 79-55 Victory

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:06 am

Has anyone else noticed the Refs so far this year have been let's say "accepting" of the way we play. I think this has to do with the respect for our coach across college basketball. He's a well known name. The same way we get favorable national media coverage. I think if MM teams played like this we would get called for 40 fouls a game. Let's hope it continues.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:09 am

69MG wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:53 am If you follow South Carolina BB fan comments, there is a lot of discussion on "why did we fire Frank?". Here's the latest headline:
GW Blows Out South Carolina, Silences Projected Lottery Pick G.G. Jackson in 79-55 Victory
I will never understand why they let him go. He took South Carolina to heights it may never reach again with a Final 4 and frequently finishing in the top 5 or 6 of the SEC. People are going to say he only went to one tournament in 10 years, but what he accomplished there is no small feat. I understand that there are mixed opinions about the way he acts during the games, but you don't have to be super plugged in to know that this is a guy who cares about his players, they care about him, he's a pillar in the community, and he's a fantastic coach and winner. What a bunch of dopes. I'm so thrilled to have him on our side.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:14 am

^ No one in the Northeast has the same mindset as those in the South , in this case the SEC. Check out recent football hires for example.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:25 pm

The south is very different than the north.

Many many years and two careers ago, I had to go help out my organization's southern group. I went there with a team of 4 people including myself - it was in the greater Raleigh NC area.

We ripped through the job in 1 week and IMO didn't even go that fast. The people we were working with down there could not stop asking us how we were able to complete all that work so quickly. They were telling us, your people from here took 3 weeks and 6 people to do what you 4 just did in 5 days.

The point is that things move much more slowly in the south and what they consider pressure is a fraction of what Frank puts forth. I am sure he put a lot of people off down there with that style. Up in our area, Frank fits right in with the faster pace and higher pressure (expectations).

Personally I love it, even though there are some Am-Herstians who clearly do not like it so much. This is a business as much as it is a game. If you do not treat it with some level of urgency, you will ultimately not succeed.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:48 pm

If I was a kid with the ability to play D1 hoops at a high level, I'd play for Frank. Tough, yes, but we only see game day out on the court. I think they understand he's trying to get them to reach their potential and he has their respect. I'm sure behind the scenes he's as genuine as it gets as he's well respected by coaches, refs, players etc. He's just what this program needed
Time to Win

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:53 pm

Colorado went on a 0-13 draught late in the game against a good ASU team. With 4 seconds left ASU pulled a Noah Fernandes and hit a 3 to win 60-59 after shooting an atrocious 6-29 from downtown. Oh well.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:48 am

Floyd wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:48 pm If I was a kid with the ability to play D1 hoops at a high level, I'd play for Frank. Tough, yes, but we only see game day out on the court. I think they understand he's trying to get them to reach their potential and he has their respect. I'm sure behind the scenes he's as genuine as it gets as he's well respected by coaches, refs, players etc. He's just what this program needed
In some respects, Frank is the modern day Bobby Knight as far as his in game demeanor. I would have given my left nut to play for that guy.

He demanded excellence and perfection. Crazy yes, but passionate and hated losing.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:09 pm

eldonabe wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:48 am
Floyd wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:48 pm If I was a kid with the ability to play D1 hoops at a high level, I'd play for Frank. Tough, yes, but we only see game day out on the court. I think they understand he's trying to get them to reach their potential and he has their respect. I'm sure behind the scenes he's as genuine as it gets as he's well respected by coaches, refs, players etc. He's just what this program needed
In some respects, Frank is the modern day Bobby Knight as far as his in game demeanor. I would have given my left nut to play for that guy.

He demanded excellence and perfection. Crazy yes, but passionate and hated losing.
In. Very few respects, IMO. Bobby Knight is/was a psycho. I don’t think Frank is.

HerndonHops
Sophomore

Post by HerndonHops » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:12 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:09 pm

In. Very few respects, IMO. Bobby Knight is/was a psycho. I don’t think Frank is.
Agreed.

classof62-64
Sophomore

Post by classof62-64 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:25 am

capezona wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:51 pm At 5-1, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to expect to see the team at 11-1 by conference play. Of course, every year they lose at least one they should have won. That would probably be Harvard or Hofstra. But one game at a time, right?
Well, not going to be Harvard. From the little I've seen on TV, and a fair amount of reading (mainly on here), this coach is going to make it a long shot to lose a game they should win.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:55 pm

Too early for a Lowell thread, but don't take them lightly. They are 8-1 and score 83 a game. Two of their key players are A10 transfers. Hikim played 2 years at LaSalle and Coulibaly played 2 years at Pitt and backed up Osun Osunniyi at SBU for 1 year.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:17 pm

HerndonHops wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:12 am

Agreed.
They are both very intense coaches who also care quite a bit about their kids off the court. I don’t think that’s outlandish to say or think — and sure, maybe that’s only a couple of respects, but they are fairly big respects.

Now Knight obviously took it a few steps further with his temper and did some shitty, unacceptable things, that’s the difference. And it’s a big difference.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:26 pm

Jackson96 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:17 pm
HerndonHops wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:12 am

Agreed.
They are both very intense coaches who also care quite a bit about their kids off the court. I don’t think that’s outlandish to say or think — and sure, maybe that’s only a couple of respects, but they are fairly big respects.

Now Knight obviously took it a few steps further with his temper and did some shitty, unacceptable things, that’s the difference. And it’s a big difference.
I think you are being too PC. Knight physically assaulted his players. There are many intense coaches who care about their kids on/off the court. I disagree with how much Knight cared about his kids off the court. The care Martin has shown for his players is actually a point used to knock him, because he doesn’t seem to care “enough” about winning. I view Knight as someone who would win at all costs. The only similarity IMO, is the yelling/intensity.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:47 pm

I am being too PC by saying Knight did some shitty unacceptable things - not sure I understand your logic. Maybe I should have said they were motherfucking shitty and super or ultra unacceptable?

As for Knight winning at all costs, not sure I understand your logic. The dude was obviously competitive, but he didn’t cheat. He hated losing more than he liked winning, I don’t think he got a ton of satisfaction out of winning — I think he hated losing more than he liked winning. He didn’t cheat though. Ever.

As for disagreeing about Knight not caring about his kids, not sure I understand your logic. His players had a really high graduation rate, the vast majority of his former players swear by him, and see all he did for Landon Turner.

I also don’t know who is knocking Martin for caring about his kids too much and not caring enough about winning.

I say all this not as a fan of Knight — like I said he did some (motherfucking) shitty (ultra) unacceptable things — but if you are saying things like he wanted to win at all costs and don’t think he cared about his players off the court, then I’m not sure how much we can really discuss this.
"I wrote a column and it went national"