KAEO Keon Thompson

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DanaDingle3
Junior

Re: KAEO Keon Thompson

Post by DanaDingle3 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:25 pm

skizz wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:00 pm I'm assuming Thompson and Martin had an end of season conversation and Thompson didn't like what he was told.
Makes sense but doesn't fully explain it (or maybe it does). He's a kid who Frank leaned on as a freshman and who Frank has always talked positively about. Keon made a big jump from freshman to sophomore year and was a big part of our success this year. He didn't leave after a choppy, tough first year but now hits the portal after the team improves and he played a big role in that. I don't think it will be big setback on the court as Curry is a more dynamic player, but it just seems odd.

BR72
Junior

Post by BR72 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:42 pm

i seriously doubt that Keon is leaving because of something that Frank told him. He earned the starting position this year based on significant improvement from his freshman year. He is light years ahead of Curry as far as defense and rebounding are concerned, two areas that are highly valued by Frank. I also believe that he runs the offense better because he is not looking to score first, as Curry often is. This is not meant as a knock on Curry, who has the potential to be a star, but just to point out how unlikely it is that Frank would have caused Keon to leave.

Could it instead be an NIL issue? Was he bothered that others were getting or being offered more than he is? I have no information to suggest that is the case (and believe that the Collective does a fabulous job) but think it's a more likely explanation than that Frank told him he was losing his starting position.

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:46 pm

I am by no means bashing Keon - in my book he was more improved than Diggins was - the leap he took from Freshman to Sophomore year was amazing and I would have loved to see him stick around all 4 years, I just think Curry can be a special player and he won't be coming off the bench - no slight to Keon that's just the facts. I don't think he's leaving because Frank yells at him - Keon seems too mentally strong for that to be the reason. I'm sure there is a reason and I'm sure we'll never know.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:01 pm

UMass'96 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:13 pm
MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:02 pm
Floyd wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:55 pm Seems odd to me that Frank would say something like that. He seems more like an "earn it" type coach, rather than just giving it to someone so early. Keon made a big jump from yr 1 to yr 2, what's to say he doesn't work on his outside shooting all off-season? In fairness, if you want to compare all the guards, Keon was probably the better rebounder, better defensively, and had the better assist/turnover ratio, and was a very good ball handler. Unless one of the freshman seems like a sure thing to take his minutes, there's gotta be more to his leaving.
no doubt Keon was better than Curry this year but you could tell as the season went on Curry could be an elite scorer - Keon is very limited offensively - that shot will never be good. I love Keon - I love his toughness, love the way he takes it to the hoop but he just doesn't do it consistently enough. We need guys that can create offense - Curry can do that - RJ was like that too. Keon really can't beat his guy off the dribble and get himself an open look like Curry can. Two years ago I would agree with you that Frank would never promise a player something - now with the NIL I absolutely think he will tell someone they will be the starter if they stick around. Didn't he tell Cohen the offense would run through him and thats why he came here?
I would agree that Keon's outside shooting was average however, he seemed to be able to drive and get to the rim when he was determined to do so. He has an incredibly strong drive to the hoop and improved his left over the past year. Also, he's quick off the dribble to his right, and his lateral defense was solid.

I don't doubt that Curry was/is going to eat into his minutes. But I don't see him buried at the end of the bench. It's not who starts the game that is important, it's who is on the floor at the end of the game, especially close games, that matters.

Either way, his leaving is a loss for sure. And given the nature of Keon's high school conditioning, I wonder if there isn't more to this story. Out of all of the players, Keon should be the most mentally prepared to deal with Coach Martin.
Agree with both parts of this. Keon was the best, & toughest guard defender, not even close. The rotation with him, Curry, and Rahsool was very well rounded, Keon the strong steady guard, Curry the quicker up tempo guy, and Rahsool the shooter. We lose a lot without Keon.

The NIL thing MMGA brought up is my thought. I'm sure Curry could have several offers if he left, and it may have been Frank's only option to keep him here. And him being tight with DHS could also be a part of it. That's why I asked about NIL deals being public record, was Keon even offered anything?
Time to Win

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:44 pm

UMass'96 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:05 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:39 pm Frank seems, for the most part, to play guys who do what he asks as long as they are producing.
Isn't this true always? Can you give an example of a coach that continues to play athletes that go out and do what they want, regardless of the coaches instructions, and don't produce?
Coaches that don’t last. McCall comes to mind. While here at UMass he played the “talent” ahead of the “grinders” even when they took shots early in the shot clock, etc. I think a lot of young coaches do this. They are very reluctant to pull the leash on the “star” players. I think there are many examples of coaches who say things like that kid takes a lot of “don’t shoot that...glad it went shots”. I don’t think it is blatant disrespect or refusal to follow coaching instructions even though that happens. Even Frank says it when he says so and so lets me coach them. That indicates there are those who don’t accept coaching.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:49 pm

Floyd wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:01 pm
UMass'96 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:13 pm
MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:02 pm

no doubt Keon was better than Curry this year but you could tell as the season went on Curry could be an elite scorer - Keon is very limited offensively - that shot will never be good. I love Keon - I love his toughness, love the way he takes it to the hoop but he just doesn't do it consistently enough. We need guys that can create offense - Curry can do that - RJ was like that too. Keon really can't beat his guy off the dribble and get himself an open look like Curry can. Two years ago I would agree with you that Frank would never promise a player something - now with the NIL I absolutely think he will tell someone they will be the starter if they stick around. Didn't he tell Cohen the offense would run through him and thats why he came here?
I would agree that Keon's outside shooting was average however, he seemed to be able to drive and get to the rim when he was determined to do so. He has an incredibly strong drive to the hoop and improved his left over the past year. Also, he's quick off the dribble to his right, and his lateral defense was solid.

I don't doubt that Curry was/is going to eat into his minutes. But I don't see him buried at the end of the bench. It's not who starts the game that is important, it's who is on the floor at the end of the game, especially close games, that matters.

Either way, his leaving is a loss for sure. And given the nature of Keon's high school conditioning, I wonder if there isn't more to this story. Out of all of the players, Keon should be the most mentally prepared to deal with Coach Martin.
Agree with both parts of this. Keon was the best, & toughest guard defender, not even close. The rotation with him, Curry, and Rahsool was very well rounded, Keon the strong steady guard, Curry the quicker up tempo guy, and Rahsool the shooter. We lose a lot without Keon.

The NIL thing MMGA brought up is my thought. I'm sure Curry could have several offers if he left, and it may have been Frank's only option to keep him here. And him being tight with DHS could also be a part of it. That's why I asked about NIL deals being public record, was Keon even offered anything?
The collective said they will be announcing who they have deals with this week. I think it is likely combination of both NIL and the growth of others at the position. I also think paying someone more makes them seem more valued and it is very likely Curry gets offered more than Keon.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:58 pm

Who's deciding who gets what? Is Frank involved?
Time to Win

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:31 pm

Floyd wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:58 pm Who's deciding who gets what? Is Frank involved?
Coach can’t be involved directly. I’m sure Pat knows who to prioritize. It would be awkward for the coach to be involved. Once the players unionize it will hopefully become a cleaner process.

WillHerndonFan
Junior

Post by WillHerndonFan » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:29 pm

I think this is a mistake for Keon as he clearly is more of a system player as he can’t shoot and probably will never be a shooter based on how he shoots. . Like many players who left last year. I think you will see Keon regress and hurt his chances to play pro ball somewhere down the road.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:10 am

WillHerndonFan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:29 pm I think this is a mistake for Keon as he clearly is more of a system player as he can’t shoot and probably will never be a shooter based on how he shoots. . Like many players who left last year. I think you will see Keon regress and hurt his chances to play pro ball somewhere down the road.
He was just a sophomore last year and was one of the best conditioned kids in the conference last year. He's had a ton of minutes. I think he's got some solid options. Remember Tony Gaffney came to UMass from BU in his junior year and blossomed. Remember when CJ Anderson who had no offensive game started to score regularly?

He could probably latch on at any level. Lower conference he'd definately be a star. Lateral could have just as much success if he improves at the same rate and learns to shoot a little. If he goes up, it will be a challenge but consider the type of athlete he's been for two years. Could be a reliable backup and part time starter in a major program if he improves. Who knows as a senior. Kid was dedicated.
Refuse To Lose!!!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:12 am

^ plus I thought coming from Hargrave (?) or HS he was a pretty solid scorer. Guess we'll never know but he seemed exactly like the type of kid Frank likes to recruit. Hope it works out for him wherever he ends up, I'm a big fan of Keon, and will be following him at his new stop. Hate to see him go
Time to Win

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:03 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:10 am
WillHerndonFan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:29 pm I think this is a mistake for Keon as he clearly is more of a system player as he can’t shoot and probably will never be a shooter based on how he shoots. . Like many players who left last year. I think you will see Keon regress and hurt his chances to play pro ball somewhere down the road.
He was just a sophomore last year and was one of the best conditioned kids in the conference last year. He's had a ton of minutes. I think he's got some solid options. Remember Tony Gaffney came to UMass from BU in his junior year and blossomed. Remember when CJ Anderson who had no offensive game started to score regularly?

He could probably latch on at any level. Lower conference he'd definately be a star. Lateral could have just as much success if he improves at the same rate and learns to shoot a little. If he goes up, it will be a challenge but consider the type of athlete he's been for two years. Could be a reliable backup and part time starter in a major program if he improves. Who knows as a senior. Kid was dedicated.
If he takes on a bit more of shooter’s mentality he will blossom, IMO. He is tentative to shoot even when open. Jayden didn’t have the best shot to start the year, but he shot it confidently.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:03 pm

Keon to Stephen F Austin (WAC)
https://twitter.com/SFA_MBB/status/1782910978008523239

We played them once, when they were back in the Southland. The first game of the 2008 NIT Finals run.
https://umasshoops.com/wiki/doku.php?id ... n_f_austin

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:33 am

Good luck to Keon. I thought he was a perfect fit here with Frank Martin, but c'est la vie.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:38 am

^agree Juice. Really thought Keon was a tough, UMass guy. Hated to see him leave
Time to Win