Rate the Frank Martin hire

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

Rate the Frank Martin hire

Poll ended at Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:08 am

10 - Outstanding
38%
24%
25%
5%
No votes
5 - OK
5%
No votes
No votes
No votes
1 - Absolutely terrible
3%

Total votes: 79

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Re: Rate the Frank Martin hire

Post by eldonabe » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:27 am

I don't want to go on a hyperbole track here...... We can compare and contrast all we want with previous coaches. Every coach is different, every situation is different, and like anything in life - Timing is Everything. Good coaches can fail, while bad coaches always fail, and you never know what you have (or had) until years after in many cases. McCall is really knowledgeable, but maybe the situation he inherited was just not fixable (with his skill set).

As I stated previously - I rated the Martin hire an 8 out of 10. Even though Calapari may be the only 10 out there, that is more of a vote for the old days - like Tom and come others reminisce about.

This is and should come down to the overall gut reaction of the fan base. It is far too early to say for sure, the guy hasn't even had his official intro yet. For comparison, I went back the thread when McCall was hired and their was a lot (figuratively) of head scratching. Folks were still reeling from everything that led to McCall becoming the choice, but the overall feeling was sort of a soft "Thud - who?". Posters bought into it as is the script, but many remained skeptical (Vanmeter sticks out but there were others).

One thing struck me as VERY VERY different this time:

Umass came right out and said they were opening the checkbook. They were not going to be denied a solid opportunity because of salary. As someone who has been following along since the late 70's, I can only count on 3 fingers that I recall when Umass did not bargain hunt (or bargain negotiate with an incumbent). If you want to turn off fans real quick, show them a lack of commitment by being cheap.

Because of that Umass got "someone" instead of "just anyone". This is not a prediction in any way of how I think they guy will do; but rather the overall fanbase seem much more at peace and in support of this decision. Martin still has to perform, but he already has twice as much support out of the gate than McCall did. That to me is a big deal.

If he can now secure 2 or 3 impactful transfers from the portal, there will be a real buzz again. It is only one part of the overall success of this hire, but it is already off to a great start compared to when McCall began.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:32 am

^

I absolutely give credit where it is due. This post is fully on point. Very well said and I agree with every part of it.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:51 am

Okay, I change my vote from a 5 to a 9 (but I don't know how). Seems to be a really good start to his UMass tenure.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:02 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:41 am
NilesGold wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:51 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:48 pm I went with 7. It's not a slam dunk because we know the challenges of this position, and I think he was the 2nd, if not the 3rd choice (depending on where Kimani Young was in the rankings).
Are you rating the coach, the job, or the coaching search?

I just hope he never stops recruiting.
Thanks for answering my question in a productive manner

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:03 am

You're welcome.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:41 pm

I don't know if Frank will win or not, I am not totally sold if he will, but time will tell.

He is the jolt in the arm this university needs in terms of getting the university out there again, but if he is 9-9 in the a10 and not making a tournament all the self promotion will not matter.

Frank will NEVER STOP RECRUITING!!!!
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:45 pm

:lol:

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:38 pm

I don't know if I properly gave kudos to Bamford for landing Martin, so I will now. I don't know how it really went down with Kimani Young and Mark Schmidt, but regardless, this one didn't fall into his lap like some of his other hires have. He had to pony up and work to make this happen. It was reported that Bamford flew down to South Carolina to close the deal with Coach Martin, and at the end of the day, he got it done. He made a big splash hire, didn't go cheap, and we will not have on-the-job training. Frank Martin is legit, and Bamford got him here. As has been mentioned elsewhere, the head coaches in the major sports are now Don Brown, Greg Carvel, Tory Verdi, and Frank Martin. That's damn impressive. Nice work Ryan!

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:11 pm

When Martin got fired from SC and there were rumblings he may be a candidate here, I wrote it off as pie in the sky thinking. I really never thought we had a shot at him. I know this is probably over excitement by me but I give this hire a 10.

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:10 am

The presser made me want to bump my answer up from my original 8. He's the right guy at the right time.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:06 pm

Okay, I just listened to the presser. Just goes to show me, once again, how I can harshly judge someone with almost no information. I rated him a 5 at first and then upped it to 8. I'm now going out on a branch and saying 10. So there, I just voted three times.

Mark W
Junior

Post by Mark W » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:09 pm

I gave it an 8 based on name recognition and his past successes. It will be interesting if we have this poll a year from now.
I'm very eager to follow his recruiting. He brought some absolute studs to both KSU and SC. I just read that 6 players from SC have entered the transfer portal. We have holes to fill right now and possibly more if we lose any to transfer. The next 2-3 months should be very interesting.
UMass...the best is yet to come