Rate the Frank Martin hire

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

Rate the Frank Martin hire

Poll ended at Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:08 am

10 - Outstanding
38%
24%
25%
5%
No votes
5 - OK
5%
No votes
No votes
No votes
1 - Absolutely terrible
3%

Total votes: 79

harbo
Hall of Fame

Re: Rate the Frank Martin hire

Post by harbo » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:36 pm

I'm confused if jj is voting "eight" or if he is voting for "infinity" hoping he'll stick around forever.

I voted eight and agree very much with inthescoop's list of cons, especially the coaching philosophy one.

Overall a solid hire and I'm hopeful for a strong comeback for UMass basketball.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:49 am

I gave it a 10 because we are finally paying for a HC with a history of winning in the NCAA Tournament.

Let's put this in perspective...

Calipari (8 years): UMass: 189–70 (.730)* 91–41 (.689)
Cal had 11 NCAA wins with UMass in 5 appearances -- so he was 11-5 in the NCAA Tournament.
Cal also had 3 wins in 2 NIT appearances with UMass -- so he was 3-2 in the NIT
He gave us a total of 14 post-season tournament wins and 7 post-season losses, getting us into a tournament in 7 out of 8 years.
Won the A10 5 times

Flint(5 years): UMass: 86–72 (.544) 52–28 (.650)
Bru had 0 wins in 2 NCAA appearances.
Bru had 0 wins in 1 NIT.
He gave us no wins in 3 post-season appearances but got us to the post-season in 3 out of 5 years.
Were invited but didn't go in the year he was fired.

Travis Ford (3 years): UMass: 62–35 (.639) 31–17 (.646)
Ford came here with one previous NCAA tournament appearance, but no wins.
TF took us to the NIT twice, and was 5 -2 and took us to the championship game.
UMass was his second D1 NCAA head-coaching gig.

Derek Kellogg (9 years): UMass: 155–137 (.531) 67–83 (.447)
DK got us to the NCAA once. One game, no wins.
DK got us to the NIT twice, he was 3-2 in the NIT.
DK was 3-3 in the post-season with UMass.
Once tied for first in A10 regular season.

Frank Martin - yet to coach a game at UMass but..
15 years of D1 head coaching in Power 5 conferences prior to UMass
5 NCAA Tournament appearances with a 9-2 record.
2 NIT appearances with a 2-2 record.
Never won his conference but was in Power 5 and once tied for second.
Kansas State: 117–54 (.684) 50–32 (.610)
South Carolina: 171–147 (.538) 79–99 (.444)
Total: 288–201 (.589)

Now lets look at the only other Head Coach that came here from an elite conference...
Steve Lappas (4 years): UMass: 50–65 25–39
Only 1 season with a winning record in the A10
No post-season games with UMass
Lap was 2-1 in the NIT with Manhattan, once first place in conference in 4 years there.
Manhattan: 56–62 31–31
Lap was at Villanova for 9 years.
Lap won the NIT in his second year at Villanova, but he was bounced in the first round in his last year there.
He was 5-1 in the NIT.
He went to the NCAA Tournament 4 times. There he was 2-4 in the NCAA Tournament.
Villanova: 174–110 87–71
Overall, Lappas was 7-2 in the NIT.
He was 9-6 in the post-season.
Total: 280–237

Last time we had a HC who has taken a team to the NCAA Final Four, he left a matter of days later for the NBA. Martin is coming here with that, not leaving. No offense to Cal, who would have been my first choice. Martin was my number 2.

Yes, Lappas was a disappointment, even though he is a good person. It was painful, very, very painful. Martin has already been more successful than Lappas and he seems to have a chip on his shoulder and something to prove.

Martin might not be Calipari but I don't think he is Lappas either. He's not going to be learning on the job like MM.

I don't think Martin is a sure thing but he has elevated programs where it was difficult to do so. He comes from a very difficult conference and has an intensity that Lappas lacked. I think that will work well here. I sure hope so, at least.
Refuse To Lose!!!

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:48 am

I do have some concerns how his coaching style will go over in the PC Happy Valley. I could see outraged letters to the editor from people who attend one game every three years. And, honestly, I do share the PC values of the region. I'm really happy to have a guy with his experience and accomplishments at the helm, hoping for the best.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:57 am

uz2b-len wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:48 am I do have some concerns how his coaching style will go over in the PC Happy Valley. I could see outraged letters to the editor from people who attend one game every three years. And, honestly, I do share the PC values of the region. I'm really happy to have a guy with his experience and accomplishments at the helm, hoping for the best.
Exactly….. the champ is already up in arms over his pigment and the guy hasn’t even ad his presser yet

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:08 am

eldonabe wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:57 am
uz2b-len wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:48 am I do have some concerns how his coaching style will go over in the PC Happy Valley. I could see outraged letters to the editor from people who attend one game every three years. And, honestly, I do share the PC values of the region. I'm really happy to have a guy with his experience and accomplishments at the helm, hoping for the best.
Exactly….. the champ is already up in arms over his pigment and the guy hasn’t even ad his presser yet
Correct.... welcome to intolerance valley where we judge people not on the content of their character but on the color of their skin. MLK would be so proud of us. :D

devildawg3010
Junior

Post by devildawg3010 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:26 am

I give it a 10 at present. I couldn't be happier. I feel we needed someone with a certain character, style, and experience to make UMass competitive again. I feel coach Martin checks those boxes among many others. I think he can build a solid foundation for the program, put fans in the stands, and create an instant buzz. I also love the fact that his wife Anya is alum and ran track, that made the deal even sweeter for me. I just think that's great. They already have a connection to the university and area. In Martins words, "Anya and I have never been more excited to call a place home like we are with UMass." I believe this to be true. He is taking a huge paycut, a demotion in coaching to a program that needs to be built. I give Bamford credit for being able to close this deal. I really don't care how the process went as long as at the end we got the right guy. And I think Martin is that guy.

Mike0473
Junior

Post by Mike0473 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:12 am

I havent followed this guys career very closely. It appears he has 1 NCAA appearance in the last 10 years and his coaching style will wear pretty thin here if he doesnt win. What am I missing?

Old-School
Junior

Post by Old-School » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:55 am

I'll say the same thing i said about Don Brown, at least now we have an identity. So i know Martin will get this team playing hard on defense. So i give it a 10.

Bamford got cute with Bell and McCall trying get in on a young guy on the way up, both flopped. (although i think Kelsey would have done a very good job here, hes a good coach)

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:19 pm

9 for me. Only 10 would have been something on the level of bringing Cal back.

This is a home run hire IMO. I wanted him more than Schmidt tbh. Schmidt is one hell of a coach, but he's not really a needle-mover IMO. Look at all the attention Frank Martin's hire is already getting on twitter. You wouldn't have gotten that with Schmidt. And I get it, it's not all about the pizzazz that comes along with social media, but it is 2022. And some of you are treating him like he's Mike Rice Jr. at Rutgers or something. A little tough love never hurt anyone. I personally can't wait to see the Frank Martin ire on the sidelines during a timeout. Things are already in motion and this hire has gained a lot of momentum in such a short period of time. We have nowhere to go but up, and he seems all in and very appreciative of the opportunity.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:25 pm

Mike0473 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:12 am I havent followed this guys career very closely. It appears he has 1 NCAA appearance in the last 10 years and his coaching style will wear pretty thin here if he doesnt win. What am I missing?
I encourage you to look at the context of that 1 tournament appearance. I posted this in the other thread:
For those that say "he only went to one tournament in 10 years!", this release reminds us how incredible his achievements at South Carolina were. He matched the program wins record one year, broke it the next, won their first NCAA tourney game in over 40 years (let that sink in), and got them to their first ever SW16, E8, and F4. Goes to show how hard it is to win big at South Carolina, and he did it. UMass has it's challenges, and I have very little doubt that he is up to the challenge.
I think you're right that his style could wear itself out if he doesn't win. It may take a couple years to stock up on players that take that kind of coaching, but once he does, I can see him winning a lot of games. By all accounts, he's a tremendous guy with very high character, and active in the community. That may offset some of the on-court antics.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:36 pm

I gave him an eight, leaning toward 9. I can't give a 10 until I see who he recruits for this year and who he brings on as assistant coaches. What does everyone think of his staff at SC? Anyone you would like to see join him?

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:40 pm

Some kids respond to the tough love, some don't. Just gotta get those kids. When they see he's trying to make them the best they can be, they'll work harder and the results will show. I think he's just what this program needs right now. And I love the enthusiasm he's shown for the area
Time to Win

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:41 am

NilesGold wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:51 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:48 pm I went with 7. It's not a slam dunk because we know the challenges of this position, and I think he was the 2nd, if not the 3rd choice (depending on where Kimani Young was in the rankings).
Are you rating the coach, the job, or the coaching search?

I just hope he never stops recruiting.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:03 am

I would not compare FM to Lappas.

But I do wonder how Frank feels about long arms? :lol:

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:09 am

LOL Lappas loved long arms. I think his best/most ridiculous comment was claiming the team had jet lag flying from here to Miami after the UConn win.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades