Rate the Frank Martin hire

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

Poll ended at Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:08 am

10 - Outstanding
38%
24%
25%
5%
No votes
5 - OK
5%
No votes
No votes
No votes
1 - Absolutely terrible
3%

Total votes: 79

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:08 am

We know it's not official until the presser, but in Matty V we trust. Let's rate the hire.

On a scale of 1-10, what do you think? Poll is open for 1 week, commenting open for longer.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Re: Rate the Frank Martin hire

Post by uz2b-len » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:44 am

Tough call. I rated it a 9. I didn't see anyone out there that I would prefer. I think he can really elevate the program as long as he stays out of trouble for screaming at the players. This is Amherst, afterall.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:52 am

I think this was the best available outcome.

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:58 am

Gave it an 8. Super confident that it'll give the program a shot in the arm. We'll be one of the most tenacious teams out there. Didn't go with a 9 or 10 because I'm a tough grader and we may not be super entertaining on the offensive end. Of course, winning on a consistent basis is entertaining enough.

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:01 am

Disappointed they couldn’t come up with the 60 million to buy Cal out of his Kentucky contract but otherwise great hire.

In all seriousness what was needed to be done was done. Hired a well known and respected coach which shows me the school is serious about this program getting back to prominence. 10/10.
#maction 🚩#flagship

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:02 am

I didn't like the search process but as soon as Martin was available he was at the top of my list. I am absolutely pumped for both UMass football and men's hoops for the first time since I was on campus.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:02 am

I voted an 8.

The only reason I did not go higher is that Umass is not at the level where anything is a guarantee. Even if Martin is the exact right guy for the job, until he does a great job, you just don't know for sure. I am not sure there is a hire they could have made that would have earned a 10 from me with the possible exception of Calapari coming back to finish his career.

The one thing I do like about Martin over Schmidt is the name recognition on a bigger scale.

We all know Schmidt pretty well because of the conference connection. They guy is a really good coach and in the North East that is wonderful. Martin, on the other hand, has much more name recognition along the entire east coast and even the middle of the country from his K-State days.

That is a huge leg up for me at least. I hope he can parlay that into 1 or 2 immediate impact transfers (starters) and 1 or 2 solid freshmen recruits.

Butterfield76
Freshman

Post by Butterfield76 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:08 am

A fantastic Hire! This program looks to be headed back to the gritty days of Lou Roe et al. I liked reading Coach McLaughlin's assessment- blue collar coach and blue collar players. I sure hope he can bring in some portal transfers he has had his eyes. Tripping down memory lane.... I have followed UMass BB since undergraduate days in '71. I was at teeny Univ. of South Alabama for awhile and the Jags became my second favorite team. They had Ronnie Arrow and that was fun. Afterwards, they made a strange hire- Bill Musselman (father of Eric BTW). At his press conference, he pulled a small index card from his jacket pocket and announced "on this card I have the names of 5 guys I am bringing with me". That started a pretty nice run. I hope Coach Martin rips a page from that playbook. Go UMass.

Jacks statman
Freshman

Post by Jacks statman » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:45 am

This deserves a 10. Considering we might have gotten Grasso, I am thrilled.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:00 pm

9 for me. Ask me again after next season.

I feel like he has the experience, coming from two major conferences, to stabilize the program and get/keep UMass extremely competitive in the A-10 for the foreseeable future.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:04 pm

I voted a 5. I'm not thrilled. In the context of who else was out there I would probably vote higher. I'm not a fan of in-your-face screaming and verbal abuse. But that's from the outside looking in. His players apparently like him. Hope I'm proved wrong and that he and the team are very successful.
Last edited by capezona on Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:43 pm

Curious if the person who voted a 1 would like to explain their position. No judgement, just want to hear the argument.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:48 pm

I went with 7. It's not a slam dunk because we know the challenges of this position, and I think he was the 2nd, if not the 3rd choice (depending on where Kimani Young was in the rankings). But it's pretty good, it's certainly a splash, and I think he has the right combo of coaching and recruiting to potentially be very successful in the A10.

I do think we are going to look back on this as being a good hire. Lord knows we all need it!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Lunar
Freshman

Post by Lunar » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:30 pm

For me, I think it ended with the best possible outcome. My belief is that he has a lot left in the tank and has something to prove. There's never going to be a complete slam dunk hire, everyone has negatives. But the positives outweigh any potential negatives here (offense, in your face approach, etc.) in my eyes.

Most importantly, it's about fit. He's just right for THIS job. As much as everybody in RI is going crazy over the Archie Miller hire, I don't think he's as good a fit for UMass, even though he'll probably do a great job down in Kingston. Same with Schmidt. There were other intriguing names being thrown around but they didn't have the name recognition & had more questions marks than Martin does.

All in all, just really pumped about this hire.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:53 pm

MikeUMA wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:43 pm Curious if the person who voted a 1 would like to explain their position. No judgement, just want to hear the argument.
I was thinking the same thing. No judgement, just wondering what the reasoning is?

If I were to guess I would say one of two things:

The voter does not like the screaming in your face aggressiveness OR the voter thought 1 was the highest and hit vote before they figured out it was the opposite and they could not fix it :lol:

I am hoping it was the latter!