Coach Frank Martin

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Re: Coach Frank Martin

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:11 pm

NilesGold wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:39 pm
Jackson96 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:56 pm I remember you being a pretty big backer of DK until you flipped a switch and went the whole other way. That’s what I remember.
Very true, I backed DK up until the point it became clear to me that the Chaz years were an aberration and DK is a bad coach.
Yep I remember it took you quite a bit longer to come to that conclusion than others. You had lots of arguments with folks defending him. Then you came to the conclusion and completely turned the other way. It was like a pro wrestling heel turn.

At any rate I don’t even know what point I’m trying to make here.

This is interesting if it happens on many levels but I don’t necessarily think it’s a move that is going to make or break the program. I think Martin is going to be a good coach and the early returns have been very encouraging. Whoever sits in that third chair (assuming that’s where DK will be) isn’t going to change that. Could that assistant help? Absolutely but while I’m intrigued by who is going to fill out the staff, I’m not going to lose sleep over it.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

thecaptain
Senior

Post by thecaptain » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:17 pm

NilesGold wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:42 pm
thecaptain wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:24 pm I remember how badly people on here were calling for more local ties and doing everything we could to keep the best New England talent from committing elsewhere. Bring back DK to recruit, and you’ve got a foot in the door.
We already have a foot in the door with Martin. Martin is recruiting New England in one off-season better than DK did in possibly his entire tenure here.
Not the same. Sure, Martin give us a foot in the door, but he bring more credibility than connections - especially in New England. DK is tied into the area like no one else. Let him work New England, and Martin can continue to recruit nationally.

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:19 pm

thecaptain wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:17 pm
thecaptain wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:24 pm I remember how badly people on here were calling for more local ties and doing everything we could to keep the best New England talent from committing elsewhere. Bring back DK to recruit, and you’ve got a foot in the door.
We already have a foot in the door with Martin. Martin is recruiting New England in one off-season better than DK did in possibly his entire tenure here.
Not the same. Sure, Martin give us a foot in the door, but he bring more credibility than connections - especially in New England. DK is tied into the area like no one else. Let him work New England, and Martin can continue to recruit nationally.
Martin recruited New England very well at South Carolina as well

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:27 am

Did DK even recruit the northeast that well? I don't think he ever even got an Adidas, I mean, New England Playaz from his buddy T.J. Chatman did more in the area than DK did.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:32 am

UMassfan_19 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:19 pm
thecaptain wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:17 pm

Martin recruited New England very well at South Carolina as well
Both recruit well in New England and nationally. You know why? They are genuine. They are from the same mold. Player speak supporting coaches is not difficult to interpret. Both DK and Frank recruit “culture” it seems. My guess, hindsight informed, is that DKs last class was reaching for something and out of character in some regards to the types of players he usually recruited. With the rumors and the failure of that experiment, Bamford blew it up.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:41 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:32 am Both recruit well in New England and nationally.
What New England players did DK recruit to UMass, can you name the specific players? I seem to recall this discussion topic coming up regularly on here and the consensus was that DK's track record recruiting in this region was poor.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:45 am

thecaptain wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:17 pm Not the same. Sure, Martin give us a foot in the door, but he bring more credibility than connections - especially in New England. DK is tied into the area like no one else.
I think you're just making this up, because I'm quite certain this is not true.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:47 am

NilesGold wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:41 am
minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:32 am Both recruit well in New England and nationally.
What New England players did DK recruit to UMass, can you name the specific players? I seem to recall this discussion topic coming up regularly on here and the consensus was that DK's track record recruiting in this region was poor.

This is correct. There seemed to be some issues DK faced related to AAU programs having issue with Cal, if I recall correctly. By all accounts at the time, DK worked hard to recruit NE players and was often in on them, but really didn't get any.

Interestingly enough related to who I am responding to, I think Naadir Tharpe transferring out of KU was the closest DK got to getting a (big time) Mass/NE kid. #NeverStopRecruiting
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:59 am

While I recognize that Chris Baldwin didn't quite pan out here, does he count as a big NE recruit? He's the only other one I see looking at the DK rosters.

Did Gurley transfer here via DK or was he originally committed to come here when Ford was still here? I can't remember. Obviously not an original recruit either way, so it is besides the point I guess.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:16 am

I agree that DK didn't get a ton out of the New England area when he was here. He seemed to do better in the DMV and Florida area if I remember correctly. But I won't deny that he's tied in with the recruiting circuits in the area. My hunch is that if he comes on board, and with a big time coach on the bench, he'll be more effective recruiting the Northeast than he was the first time around. Frank is already doing a great job recruiting the NE, and I think DK can add to that.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:18 am

NilesGold wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:45 am
thecaptain wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:17 pm Not the same. Sure, Martin give us a foot in the door, but he bring more credibility than connections - especially in New England. DK is tied into the area like no one else.
I think you're just making this up, because I'm quite certain this is not true.
You can make up opinions?
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:09 am

Regarding Jarreau, he was maybe one of those "characters" coach speaks of.

doubledribble
Freshman

Post by doubledribble » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:26 pm

doubledribble wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:47 pm There will soon be news about a new asst coach.
You will be SHOCKED!
Like I said.. stay tuned !

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:29 pm

^ I've already posted that it is Marcus Camby. Anyone else will be a surprise. :)
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

doubledribble
Freshman

Post by doubledribble » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:35 pm

Old Cage wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:29 pm ^ I've already posted that it is Marcus Camby. Anyone else will be a surprise. :)
You will be surprised then 😁