Coach Frank Martin

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Re: Coach Frank Martin

Post by natwam2547 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:06 pm

Can NBA players donate to collectives? What's stopping Durant from donating to Texas' collective, Tatum to Duke's, Embiid to Kansas, Butler to Marquette, AD/KAT/Booker to Kentucky, Steph to Davidson and Dame to Weber State? I feel like that's a pretty seamless way for those collectives to gain a good chunk of change. I know we are lacking in that department, Camby's career earnings are $130 mil and he's doing a lot of facetime at events and such, but I'm wondering if there's any sort of donation to the collective there.

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:08 pm

Berkman wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:10 pm Cohen is a 5 th year player and is all done this year. We have a chance to keep Cross.
No offense, but saying incorrect things with such certainty is why people have to keep explaining things over and over on here to people who see this and think it's fact.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:19 pm

Old Cage wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:01 am Interesting list. #37 is who we need.
But, a quite screwed up list when Jenny Dell is listed as more notable than Briana Scurry. And, yes, I know how the list was compiled. :)
Where's DK?
Time to Win

umiejoe
Freshman

Post by umiejoe » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:41 pm

College Sports, Inc. Sad state of affairs.

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:36 pm

If you all get a chance - listen to the latest Just Being Frank Podcast. He speaks to two former Umass alums who were at Umass during the Cal years - one of them, Mike Corey, is or has been a broadcaster for ESPN/USA/CBS etc and will be doing the game this weekend. He and the other guy who was on the podcast are producing a film/documentary about UMass basketball and it will be focused pretty much on the Cal years - 88-96 - but will also talk about Jack Leahman along with the present day team. They are looking to get a major streaming provider to buy it - ESPN films, Netflix, Prime Video, etc. Even if its just on Youtube I for one cannot wait to see it. They talked about when Cal got his statue in 2021 how Cal took them both inside the Cage and they were allowed to film Cals old office and the teams locker rooms and all around the Cage - basically footage none of us have probably ever seen. If you are a UMass fan it sounds like must watch TV - sounds like sometime early summer it should be released.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:03 pm

Old Cage wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:01 am Interesting list. #37 is who we need.
But, a quite screwed up list when Jenny Dell is listed as more notable than Briana Scurry. And, yes, I know how the list was compiled. :)
I have heard of about 5 of those people not sports related..... I am not all knowing by any means but I know enough stuff where I should recognize a lot more names/people than that list has on it.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:13 pm

natwam2547 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:08 pm
Berkman wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:10 pm Cohen is a 5 th year player and is all done this year. We have a chance to keep Cross.
No offense, but saying incorrect things with such certainty is why people have to keep explaining things over and over on here to people who see this and think it's fact.
Cohen has two years including this year.

Jeff90
Junior

Post by Jeff90 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:00 pm

Cohen told Jay Burnham earlier this year he had 2 years This year and next.

deke
Junior

Post by deke » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:52 am

Just a thought here on NIL fundraising and alums... UMass has the benefit of playing up "your state U" to its residents. So, while we target a Sugar Daddy (or Sugar Momma) alum to give big donations, and urge current Mass Collective members to dig deeper, and appeal to more "regular" alums to start digging at all, how about finding some well-heeled Mass residents who DIDN'T attend college but want to be affiliated with one? As in, the one representing the state where they live.

I found a Boston Magazine article from 2018 (https://www.bostonmagazine.com/educatio ... nt-college) about where the state's super-rich went to college. All the New England private schools you'd expect were in the Top 10, but the article also said "85 percent of the state’s super-rich went to college", which means 15% did not. Who are those people, and how can we get them to drop a few bucks into the can to help their state? We don't even need the super-rich. Where are the guys who went to technical and vocational schools out of high school and now own multi-million dollar contracting businesses, HVAC businesses, retail franchises, car dealerships, etc? Maybe those folks would enjoy having a team and a school to route for, even if they didn't attend.

UMass is "for the people, by the people". Can the collective do a campaign focused around that?

I dunno. Just an idea. I'm not an expert on fund-raising, and I couldn't attend the Collective's call the other night so maybe they're already talking about this. I'm just looking under every rock for dimes.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:10 pm

Good thinking. Keep brainstorming and get the word out.

If Frank can get these guys to bring home some nice wins and draw some crowds, we can pick up some interest and capitalize on the improvements that we have seen this season.
Refuse To Lose!!!

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:49 pm

deke wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:52 am Just a thought here on NIL fundraising and alums... UMass has the benefit of playing up "your state U" to its residents. So, while we target a Sugar Daddy (or Sugar Momma) alum to give big donations, and urge current Mass Collective members to dig deeper, and appeal to more "regular" alums to start digging at all, how about finding some well-heeled Mass residents who DIDN'T attend college but want to be affiliated with one? As in, the one representing the state where they live.

I found a Boston Magazine article from 2018 (https://www.bostonmagazine.com/educatio ... nt-college) about where the state's super-rich went to college. All the New England private schools you'd expect were in the Top 10, but the article also said "85 percent of the state’s super-rich went to college", which means 15% did not. Who are those people, and how can we get them to drop a few bucks into the can to help their state? We don't even need the super-rich. Where are the guys who went to technical and vocational schools out of high school and now own multi-million dollar contracting businesses, HVAC businesses, retail franchises, car dealerships, etc? Maybe those folks would enjoy having a team and a school to route for, even if they didn't attend.

UMass is "for the people, by the people". Can the collective do a campaign focused around that?

I dunno. Just an idea. I'm not an expert on fund-raising, and I couldn't attend the Collective's call the other night so maybe they're already talking about this. I'm just looking under every rock for dimes.
The director of the Mass Co didn’t go to college :)

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:59 pm

^ He deserves an honorary degree!

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:48 pm

I listened to the "Power Hour" today with Burnham and Martin and Brown. Great quip from Frank: "I used to know who was leaving. Now, its wait until the end of the season and "Yo. What's up?"
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:35 pm

If we retain most of this team (especially Jayden and Matt) I will be buying a couple season tickets next year in the best seats I can get. I live about 3.5ish hours away and will make 4-5 games but will give the seats away for any game that I can't make. I am really excited about what Frank is building and I hope the staff/collective are able to retain as much talent as possible. Something special is brewing if they can.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:50 pm

.^Agreed.
If we can retain most/all of our top 8 we have the chance to have a very special year next year. Cross and Cohen are especially important because it is difficult to get very good 4/5’s. The MAC situation would have no effect on them since they only have1year of eligibility left.
If you get season next year Upstate, I will be happy to buy you a beer or two (or three ) at the Mullins