Coach Frank Martin

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Re: Coach Frank Martin

Post by DoctorJ » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:34 pm

I think retaining Keon and Diggins for next year is potentially really big too.

If we can lose only one of Cross, Cohen, Keon, and Diggy, we would be in pretty solid shape.

Too early for this, of course.
Refuse To Lose!!!

WillHerndonFan
Junior

Post by WillHerndonFan » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:14 pm

I think as a coach now, you need to prepare (expect) for losing large chunks of your roster in the NIL Sweepstakes Transfer Portal. Last Year, we lost quite a few, but Frank did a great job in bringing in Cohen and Hankins-Sanford to more than offset our losses. I actually look forward to seeing who we might land if we lose some of key players as the days of long-term relationships (3+ years) with star players is all but dead.

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:11 am

vanmeter wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:50 pm .^Agreed.
If we can retain most/all of our top 8 we have the chance to have a very special year next year. Cross and Cohen are especially important because it is difficult to get very good 4/5’s. The MAC situation would have no effect on them since they only have1year of eligibility left.
If you get season next year Upstate, I will be happy to buy you a beer or two (or three ) at the Mullins
My man! Hopefully it's an easy decision for me to make. I think we have more NIL money to play with than most of our "peers." And I think Frank now has a team full of guys that WANT to play for him.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:21 am

Not only do most of these guys want to play for him, the proof is now in the pudding that he's building something here and they're winning. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that? Read what Josh Cohen said after last night's game: https://www.gazettenet.com/UMass-surviv ... t-54299854
“I’ve never played on a 20-win team in my life,” Cohen said. “I’m so happy. I don’t even know what to say. I’m so happy that this group was able to do it. We’ve worked hard all year, and this is the result.”
When you put in the time and you see the results, it motivates you to come back and do the same next year. For the first time in a while we have a locker room culture, results on the scoreboard, and a legit coach with some cache. I'm not saying everybody is going to stay, but I think we have a chance to bring back a solid core group.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:33 am

Juice Stand wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:21 am Not only do most of these guys want to play for him, the proof is now in the pudding that he's building something here and they're winning. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that? Read what Josh Cohen said after last night's game: https://www.gazettenet.com/UMass-surviv ... t-54299854
“I’ve never played on a 20-win team in my life,” Cohen said. “I’m so happy. I don’t even know what to say. I’m so happy that this group was able to do it. We’ve worked hard all year, and this is the result.”
When you put in the time and you see the results, it motivates you to come back and do the same next year. For the first time in a while we have a locker room culture, results on the scoreboard, and a legit coach with some cache. I'm not saying everybody is going to stay, but I think we have a chance to bring back a solid core group.
Bamford and the Board of Trustees took care of that dream a few days ago.......

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:49 am

Ooo... dagger!
Time to Win

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:54 am

Eldon, I'm talking about next year, when they're still in the A10. I don't know if anybody will come back next year, no clue, but this is a group unlike any we've seen in years, with a coach who is an actual adult, and they will have a legit shot at winning the A10 next year. I think you throw all of that together, plus whatever our collective has to offer, and that's a pretty enticing offer for players to stay another season.

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:57 am

DoctorJ wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:34 pm I think retaining Keon and Diggins for next year is potentially really big too.

If we can lose only one of Cross, Cohen, Keon, and Diggy, we would be in pretty solid shape.

Too early for this, of course.
Main reasons a player will transfer

1. Want a bump up in competition to a more competitive league (Gapare/Luis/Levesque/Fernandes). Players that qualify for this are Cross, Diggins and Curry IMO. Cohen does not. He's perfect where he is. Cross has already done the power conference thing, he may want to try it one more time for his final season. Diggins did it for one year and hardly played and has blossomed here. I don't think he's a candidate. Curry eventually could be, but I don't see it after year 1. So that leaves just Cross as a possibility in my mind.

2. Aren't getting enough playing time and want to transfer down. Players that qualify are basically everyone outside the top 7 (starting 5 and Curry/DHS). Foster, Majok, Worthy, Davis Jr, Mason. The only ones I can really see leaving are Foster, Majok and Worthy. Davis seems committed to Frank and Mason is committed enough that he was an early enrollee.

3. Guys weren't recruited by the current coach (DD, Weeks). None apply here.

4. More NIL $ elsewhere. See first reason. I don't think guys like Curry, Cohen and Davis Jr. will get more $ elsewhere right now. Cross could.

5. Were recruited over by the head coach and basically told to leave. See second reason.

I think Cross could leave, but it's no guarantee. I could also see Foster, Majok and Worthy leaving. There's always that one big surprise, maybe it's DHS since early on in the season we heard he was a bit homesick. Maybe Curry does leave before we think, or maybe Keon thinks his playing time goes down next year with Curry having a bigger role and some of the newcomers coming in.

I do think overall we'll be in OK shape though. We won't see the mass-exodus we've been accustomed to the past few years.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:06 am

^ excellent post Nat, and I agree with you about DHS. He was definitely homesick and had trouble adjusting to life in Amherst early on, and then after the Davidson game (he's from Charlotte), Frank was praising him and talked about how he was trying to find his joy and his peace. Some might look at that from a basketball perspective, but I interpreted that he is still homesick and I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves. I'd be disappointed because I think he's absolutely outstanding, but I would be totally understanding of a guy wanting to play closer to home.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:42 am

Everybody loves DHS. Hope he stays for sure. Could be a fan favorite here. First year at a new place is always challenging, especially with a demanding coach, but I really hope he stays

Keon seems like a confident, loyal kid. I don't think he needs to worry about playing time, he's so damn consistent.

Might be too early to give up on Majok
Time to Win

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:46 am

I don't see Cross leaving - he seems so comfortable playing for Frank. He has a legit shot to be A10 player of the year next year and possibly open some NBA scouts eyes. I'm not talking about getting drafted in the 1st round but someone might take a flyer on him in the 2nd round. If he leaves for say a Kentucky or another P5 school - he is such a warrior he would def. help them but he's not going to put up the numbers and get the publicity he would if he stays here.

I don't know Matt but I think he knows what he has here and how special next year could be if he and the other key guys stay. He might get offered more money to play next year at a P5 school but I'd like to think he has family and others advising him to not just think of next year - maybe even give him Tre Mitchell as an example - Tre would have no doubt been A10 player of the year - put up ridiculous stats and most likely got drafted because of that had he stayed - now he's just another guy on these other teams.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:41 am

I understood this before I took this job.
-Frank Martin at today's Press Conference about UMass moving to a new conference.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:56 am

At the press conference Franks says..."we're not a basketball school. We're not a football school. We're UMass!" We're a hockey school..... :wink: :lol:
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:59 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:41 am
-Frank Martin at today's Press Conference about UMass moving to a new conference.
That is not specific enough for me. Was he told of the options available (if any at the time)? Or was he told who they were pursuing (at the time)?

The math ain't mathin' if you ask me. You are not going to pay a coach $1.7M/per if you are likely going to a conference whose highest paid coach is about one third of that. That contract alone is reason to believe Frank was sold on a "better" move than MAC.

I believe the correct phrase is NUTT-KICK

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:06 pm

eldonabe wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:59 am
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:41 am
That is not specific enough for me. Was he told of the options available (if any at the time)? Or was he told who they were pursuing (at the time)?

The math ain't mathin' if you ask me. You are not going to pay a coach $1.7M/per if you are likely going to a conference whose highest paid coach is about one third of that. That contract alone is reason to believe Frank was sold on a "better" move than MAC.

I believe the correct phrase is NUTT-KICK

I'm sure the press conference will be available for you to watch and hear his words.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades