Coach Frank Martin

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
LS71
Hall of Fame

Re: Coach Frank Martin

Post by LS71 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:13 pm

^ Again, I have no problem with his being a wild man on the bench. He needs be be tough but he doesn't need to be abusive. He needs to be demanding but he doesn't need to be demeaning.

It's a different world these days. Players have more choices. They don't have to take sh*t from their coaches like they used to....especially in public.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:13 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:06 pm
dennisdent wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:00 pm

Come on, you can do better than that emoji!
And you can do better than claiming it requires registered protests in town. Give me a fucking break. Amherst has had this reputation for DECADES.
I was JOKING..still give me evidence about Molnar and how the locals reacted per your comment! Martin is safe from being tarred and feathered from all those mean Am-herstians that you keep bringing up!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:16 pm

Amherst... 27 square miles surrounded by reality.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:22 pm

TheInsider wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:16 pm Amherst... 27 square miles surrounded by reality.
Loved it but had to leave it for that exact reason!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:35 pm

dennisdent wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:13 pm

I was JOKING..still give me evidence about Molnar and how the locals reacted per your comment! Martin is safe from being tarred and feathered from all those mean Am-herstians that you keep bringing up!

My apologies for not recording the conversations I had with Amherst residents regarding Molnar. I was still on a Blackberry then and the recording capabilities of the phone were sub-par. I'll do better for you next time with my iPhone.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

EAS

Post by EAS » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:44 pm

It's not the yelling and the glares that bother me as much as the overall lack of actual coaching the guy does during games. This team is not a late 60s/early 70s John Wooden coached UCLA team who had experienced NBA level players on it who could just go out there and execute. This "team" had a roster that was thrown together and a brand new coach. They needed to be coached, coaxed and corrected during the games to get a feel for how he wants them to play. I sat behind the bench at the Fordham game and all he did was glare, point at guys to replace guys who made mistakes and yell. I never heard him tell guys to rotate on defense, stop holding the ball, etc.

He can be better, he has to be better.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:57 pm

dennisdent wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:40 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:30 pm
dennisdent wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:22 pm Again, Amherst people don't care about UMass athletics unless there is some type of illegal actions that are out in the mainstream media. A coach swearing at their players during games that barely anyone attends or watches on ESPN? is not important to Amherst residents. Now salamanders crossing roads or the Vagina Monologues, that will bring them out!

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=u ... nnel&hl=en

https://content.time.com/time/magazine/ ... 86,00.html

You're literally making my point, thank you. They care when there is some ridiculous reason for them to think they have to care. It's been like that for the now 23 years I've known Amherst well and I'm extremely confident it was like that long before as well. They very much love biting the hand that feeds them (UMass).
Where was the the outrage in Amherst by the locals when the video of the UMass football players fighting in the snow was posted online? Wait, there was none. Amherst locals don't care about UMass athletics as it is beneath them to care! You are giving my former friends and neighbors way too much credit! :lol:
Actually there was. I am in the area and there were many displeased residents. They usually don’t support UMass, but are willing to take shots at the school whenever something goes wrong. Take a look at the gazette or masslive when ever there is a story about arrests. If it is a UMass student, their name,hometown, age, etc. is always printed. Locals and Amherst college students never get their name in the paper. Panda East has seen its fair share of Amherst college athletes doing stupid stuff that is easily dismissed by the locals.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:24 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:57 pm
dennisdent wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:40 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:30 pm

You're literally making my point, thank you. They care when there is some ridiculous reason for them to think they have to care. It's been like that for the now 23 years I've known Amherst well and I'm extremely confident it was like that long before as well. They very much love biting the hand that feeds them (UMass).
Where was the the outrage in Amherst by the locals when the video of the UMass football players fighting in the snow was posted online? Wait, there was none. Amherst locals don't care about UMass athletics as it is beneath them to care! You are giving my former friends and neighbors way too much credit! :lol:
Actually there was. I am in the area and there were many displeased residents. They usually don’t support UMass, but are willing to take shots at the school whenever something goes wrong. Take a look at the gazette or masslive when ever there is a story about arrests. If it is a UMass student, their name,hometown, age, etc. is always printed. Locals and Amherst college students never get their name in the paper. Panda East has seen its fair share of Amherst college athletes doing stupid stuff that is easily dismissed by the locals.
This discussion has really gone off the rails when Panda East is now brought into the discussion on Martin's coaching style! Time for a scorpion bowl; oh wait they don't serve those anymore because of the bad UMass students upsetting the evil Am-herstians! :lol:

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:36 am

TheInsider wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:16 pm Amherst... 27 square miles surrounded by reality.
WOW - that may be THE best post I have ever seen on this board ever. And I was here when the "old" board existed too....

BRAVO SIR..... BRAVO!

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:27 am

Regarding the Am-herstonians being discussed-were they UMass fans during the Cal era?

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:50 am

LS71 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:27 am Regarding the Am-herstonians being discussed-were they UMass fans during the Cal era?

Of course... there usually isn't much biting of the hand when said hand is force feeding you ridiculous amounts of $$. The town and businesses reaped the rewards of the Cal era.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:29 am

LS71 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:27 am Regarding the Am-herstonians being discussed-were they UMass fans during the Cal era?
Everyone was on that bandwagon.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:52 am

^ Kinda like Fenway's Pink Hat Nation. 8)

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:02 pm

LS71 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:52 am ^ Kinda like Fenway's Pink Hat Nation. 8)
:lol:
the Pink Hats...as a Yankee Fan that period of BoSox history made me laugh, then spit up in my mouth a little bit.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:42 am

So most of the defections are probably done: Now let's ask why? There used to be 2 main answers including I just did not like the place and/or the coaching/playing time. Now the NIL is a legitimate reason as well, but any combination of these can be comingled together.

If you read my previous post today in another thread, I am completely jaded by the NIL stuff. There are no actual disclosures in full of what these kids are getting, but I think it is reasonable to say that the bigtime programs have boosters and businesses with much deeper pockets (and willing to spend it) than Umass does. There are stories here and there about one off deals, but how much each kid is getting is not reliably reported or tracked.

While I am in favor of kids getting paid there are no caps, no consolidated public reporting of who is paying these kids, and ZERO accountability/ enforcement of recruiting with money. I laughed where I read that "this money cannot be used for enticements to enroll or remain enrolled". Give me a fucking break.... that is EXACTLY what this money is being used for.

Now the other side, if a kid is not going to get paid (or not paid enough)? Who in today's society is going to sit through the verbal abuse that Frank dishes out? I am old school and I can appreciate what he is doing to an extent, but the military approach is dying even in the military these days. I have a very bad feeling about this..... Steve Lappas 2.0 if you will. As an aside, I want to throw up in my mouth a little when I hear SL doing color on these games - fucking fake enthusiasm - he's dancing for the paycheck.

I am still eager to see if he can turn this around, but I have a lot of [reasonable] doubts.