Coach Frank Martin

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Re: Coach Frank Martin

Post by NilesGold » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:41 am

LS71 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:32 am I was talking with a very good friend of mine at the game last night who is in a position to hear the words FM has used on the bench this season. From my seat and on TV it was clear how animated he's been on the bench, but I was unaware of the nature of the verbal abuse he laid on the players for all to hear.

I've said that I give him a pass for year one...first year, a seemingly inordinate number of injuries, etc., but somebody needs to sit him down and make it clear that his foul mouthed verbal abuse of the players is unacceptable. He's representing my alma mater and I expect more professional conduct from the head of the program.
He's not going to change, don't waste your energy talking about it. The only way that changes is if he gets fired.

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:41 am

^ That ain’t happening.

Jeff90
Junior

Post by Jeff90 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:48 am

Agree

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:18 am

This is all well documented going back a decade at least. Has previous suspensions for verbal abuse of players.

Seems like Frank is locked in with RJ but anyone else could be gone. Time for him to get “his guys” and implement his brand of basketball.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:34 am

^^ ^^^ The AD needs to take a stand and sit him down, if for no other reason than to document that he made the effort.

^ Definitely time for him to get 'his' guys and either get it done or be gone.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

GOODY
Junior

Post by GOODY » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:07 pm

Lol Frank gets Gg Jackson How’d that be ?? Glass would get full quickly It’s just a point I’m making not a prediction

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:47 pm

Those that can, Do. Those that can't, sit back and criticize the manner in which those that can, do it.

It's never a perfect situation but I am sure that Bamford sees what Frank is and I am sure that Frank is very aware of who he is at this point - both strengths and weakness'. I'm not necessarily a fan of the way in which Frank rips into the players during games and publicly, but I've also held enough leadership positions to understand that there is always more to the story - especially going on in the background.

Moaning about Frank on this board doesn't do anything other than feed the never ending appetite of this board for drama. And possibly it makes people feel better about themselves as well. It doesn't actually address the problem that people are continuously pointing out about Frank.
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:02 pm

I will say it again....

If anyone spent more than 30 seconds on the google machine when Franks name came to light, NONE of this stuff would be a surprise to ANYONE.

The guy is a fucking maniac on the sidelines - always has been. Way too late to change that now.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:17 pm

FRANK MARTIN IS MEAN! :lol:

It was only a matter of time before the Valley folks started to chirp about this.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:36 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:17 pm FRANK MARTIN IS MEAN! :lol:

It was only a matter of time before the Valley folks started to chirp about this.

I am surprised it took this long actually.

He got a pass because they were winning early, but I figured about the time they lost to LaSalle on 1/11 or so the chirping would start. I saw a few people behind the bench giving the stink eye when Frank was doing his Frank things but that was about it other than a random comment here or there.

Good to see Am-Herst hasn't changed.....

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:47 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:17 pm FRANK MARTIN IS MEAN! :lol:

Those stupid Amherst people, a coach making millions of dollars yelling at and insulting his players, what's not to love about that?

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:51 pm

eldonabe wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:36 pm
I am surprised it took this long actually.

He got a pass because they were winning early, but I figured about the time they lost to LaSalle on 1/11 or so the chirping would start. I saw a few people behind the bench giving the stink eye when Frank was doing his Frank things but that was about it other than a random comment here or there.

Good to see Am-Herst hasn't changed.....

And it never will.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:53 pm

Verbal abuse is how Larry Eustachy's coaching career ended or at least he hasn't gotten another HC gig that I know of.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/02/26/l ... asketball/

For me, personally, I don't think that 'WTF were you thinking?' is over the line. But 'you're a f*cking idiot' is. Critiquing one's actions I think is fair game, but saying someone is something is abuse.

Not sure where Martin is on it. But I wouldn't be cool with #2.

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:14 pm

LS71 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:34 am ^^ ^^^ The AD needs to take a stand and sit him down, if for no other reason than to document that he made the effort.

^ Definitely time for him to get 'his' guys and either get it done or be gone.
so are you saying if he wins its ok that he verbally abuses the players? I also sit very close to the bench and he isn't saying anything to these guys that they haven't heard before. Yes Frank might be a little over the top but at least he's not on the sidelines breaking white boards like I saw this weekend. I'm not saying its ok to yell as much as he does but IMO as long as he keeps his hands off the players I don't have a problem with it.

whats the saying - sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me - I think we all need to just lighten up and accept that this is the way Frank has always been and quite frankly, been VERY successful

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:26 pm

To be clear - I don’t have a problem with him yelling at players. My problem is with the nature of what he yells at them.

If they announce that fans can be ejected for obscene language, why does a coach get a pass for verbally abusing his players with obscenities and more.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving