Coach Frank Martin

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Re: Coach Frank Martin

Post by eldonabe » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:20 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:06 pm
eldonabe wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:59 am
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:41 am

-Frank Martin at today's Press Conference about UMass moving to a new conference.
That is not specific enough for me. Was he told of the options available (if any at the time)? Or was he told who they were pursuing (at the time)?

The math ain't mathin' if you ask me. You are not going to pay a coach $1.7M/per if you are likely going to a conference whose highest paid coach is about one third of that. That contract alone is reason to believe Frank was sold on a "better" move than MAC.

I believe the correct phrase is NUTT-KICK

I'm sure the press conference will be available for you to watch and hear his words.

I believe what you heard, that is not what I asked though.

We will never know. Frank knew something was coming, I would love to know if he knew what "something" was likely going to be? the answer to that question, probably answers the question of his immediate future here.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:33 pm

eldonabe wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:20 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:06 pm
eldonabe wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:59 am

That is not specific enough for me. Was he told of the options available (if any at the time)? Or was he told who they were pursuing (at the time)?

The math ain't mathin' if you ask me. You are not going to pay a coach $1.7M/per if you are likely going to a conference whose highest paid coach is about one third of that. That contract alone is reason to believe Frank was sold on a "better" move than MAC.

I believe the correct phrase is NUTT-KICK

I'm sure the press conference will be available for you to watch and hear his words.

I believe what you heard, that is not what I asked though.

We will never know. Frank knew something was coming, I would love to know if he knew what "something" was likely going to be? the answer to that question, probably answers the question of his immediate future here.

I get it... I'm suggesting you listen to the replay and hear everything else he said. I think you'll be somewhat pleased.

And no, there was no exact comment on exactly what he did or did not know. Unless you're Ryan, Frank or Anya, you aren't likely to get that exact answer.

Before it was (rightly) confirmed that Frank knew a conference move was coming before he was hired, I speculated that Bamford probably told him that CUSA and the MAC were likely the destinations, with the AAC an outside chance at depending on what transpired in the coming few years. I highly doubt Bamford suggested or promised anything further related to conference realignment.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:57 am

I guess we're not cutting Frank's salary, as has been speculated. A quote from the press conference:
"UMass director of athletics Ryan Bamford confirmed on Thursday that UMass will increase its men’s basketball budget upon entrance to the Mid-American Conference for the 2025-26 academic year."

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:12 pm

^

No one with a right frame of mind thought Frank's salary was getting cut.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:31 pm

69MG wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:57 am I guess we're not cutting Frank's salary, as has been speculated. A quote from the press conference:
"UMass director of athletics Ryan Bamford confirmed on Thursday that UMass will increase its men’s basketball budget upon entrance to the Mid-American Conference for the 2025-26 academic year."
Well, that’s actually good news. Can anyone break down what is it about joining the MAC that now allows us to increase the men’s basketball budget.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:08 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:12 pm ^

I didn't mean to imply that the people who stated that were in their right minds. Just letting them know that they can go back to sleep now. :D

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:11 pm

inthescoop wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:31 pm
69MG wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:57 am I guess we're not cutting Frank's salary, as has been speculated. A quote from the press conference:
Well, that’s actually good news. Can anyone break down what is it about joining the MAC that now allows us to increase the men’s basketball budget.
The athletic department as a whole will be getting some more money. But I think the real reason is there was nothing preventing them from doing it at any point and this is likely a good way to show Frank Martin he'll still get the support he needs.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:24 pm

69MG wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:08 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:12 pm ^

I didn't mean to imply that the people who stated that were in their right minds. Just letting them know that they can go back to sleep now. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:29 pm

This is all good to hear. We should always be the highest spending basketball program going forward in the MAC.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:21 pm

Frank, just yesterday: "I don't read it (Twitter)"
https://www.youtube.com/live/-JfAb831Ny ... I8P&t=3272

Frank, today: Quote tweeted Bill Taylor (former UMMBB student manager)
https://twitter.com/coachFMartin/status ... 3407527941
Frank was neither named nor tagged in Bill's tweet.

Frank's continuing denial that he reads Twitter is just a comedy bit at this point. It's proven untrue numerous times, and again today. That's not a criticism, just an observation.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:31 pm

^
Also thought that was weird. Come on, Coach, we know and have SEEN you post on Twitter lol

DeeDeeBee
Sophomore

Post by DeeDeeBee » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:55 pm

FYI:
Frank Martin and Nathan Strauss (media) will be speaking at this week's Umass Sports Luncheon (Wednesday 4/10).
The Luncheons are held at the Berkshire Dining Commons @ 12 noon.
These Luncheons (every Wednesday) are always a fun take!!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:23 pm

^ I can't make this week's luncheon. If anyone goes, see if Frank talks about filling Josh's spot. He can't give names, but ask if he has any potential candidates.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:13 pm

DeeDeeBee wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:55 pm FYI:
Frank Martin and Nathan Strauss (media) will be speaking at this week's Umass Sports Luncheon (Wednesday 4/10).
The Luncheons are held at the Berkshire Dining Commons @ 12 noon.
These Luncheons (every Wednesday) are always a fun take!!
I’m sure Nathan is a nice kid but we don’t have another coach to trot up there?
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

DeeDeeBee
Sophomore

Post by DeeDeeBee » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:50 am

Scheduling battles.....ain't simple!!!