Coach Frank Martin

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Re: Coach Frank Martin

Post by Marty Peretz » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:24 pm

Juice Stand wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:16 pm Speak softly and carry a big stick.

I'm with Mike on this. Engage with your fan base, the students, and the community in a positive way, but there's absolutely nothing to be gained by reacting to some of these knuckleheads on Twitter.
Disagree. Right now, UMass desperately needs to do anything it can to grow the brand of UMass basketball. Frank has well over 100,000 followers on twitter and by having some fun with it he's exposing a lot of people to UMass basketball related content. He's also engaging with the base of UMass fans, which are overwhelmingly on twitter more than any other platform.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:51 pm

Meh - he needs to avoid pissing matches with the trolls for sure. I like that he fires back as some of that stuff though.

That said - he is recruiting fans as much as he is recruiting players at this point. If he can win some games now, I see no reason why he cannot get 6K+ per game (at least).

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:19 pm

My opinion... let Frank be Frank.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:06 pm

^ Good one! :lol:

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:49 am

I had a really interesting conversation with a Friend who played in the Court Club Tourney. He said Frank had a lot of positive things to say about his roster including the overall talent level.

I understand he needs to pump this up, but if he is even remotely close to what he thinks he has, we may all be pleasantly surprised this year (Myself included as I do not expect too much with such a huge amount of roster turnover).

Personally from what was reported, Frank emphasized their size and he expected to "pound the ball into the middle" a lot. As someone who spent many, many years coaching - that pleases me greatly. Inside out basketball - if nothing else - is much more entertaining for the fans, and is a very different animal for opposition to defend. It opens up shooting lanes way better than just flinging the ball around the arc and (more importantly) it forces those bigger players closer to the basket for more rebounding.

He said some other really good things too, but that stuck out to me as the biggest difference from what we have had to watch in Amherst for the last 12+ years.

If they can consistently win rebounding battles, they will be in every game and will win a few that past teams would normally lose. That is worth 3-4 wins per season at least.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:09 am

^Eldon, I don't know if it's been posted elsewhere, but on the Sept 7 episode of the UMass Sports Insider show, assistant coach Brian Steele said "probably the most talented team since we made that Final Four run". For those who haven't seen the episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORAqY_xF0NUk

His comments come at around the 16:45 mark, and the whole interview with the assistants starts at the 15:35 mark.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:59 am

^^

Basketball 101
Nice to hear they want to pound the ball! Great strategy as it leads to the highest percentage shots; Layups (dunks hopefully at this level) and Free Throws. Also can create fouls which leads to more Free Throws and probable reduction in playing time for key players on the opponent’s side!

For those of a certain age, you might remember that the NCAA eliminated dunks for a few years and it wasn’t because it was a difficult shot 😁

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:29 am

TruBluMaroon wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:59 am ^^
For those of a certain age, you might remember that the NCAA eliminated dunks for a few years and it wasn’t because it was a difficult shot 😁
Can you imagine the highlight reels featuring Dr. J had dunks been allowed when he played? Blame it on Lew Alcindor.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:26 am

They didn't even allow dunks during pre-game warmups.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:35 am

They didn't but we did get to see a few before the refs came on the court.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:58 am

^Like before the Syracuse game on his birthday in 1971!
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:12 pm

I saw Lew Alcindor (along with Lynn Schakleford and Lucius Allen) in person play Fullerton Jr College (where I was a student) when he was a freshman in 1966. They played mostly junior colleges and often doubled or tripled their scores. They beat the UCLA varsity in a pre-season exhibition matchup that year. And he dunked - a lot.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:54 pm

capezona wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:12 pm I saw Lew Alcindor (along with Lynn Schakleford and Lucius Allen) in person play Fullerton Jr College (where I was a student) when he was a freshman in 1966. They played mostly junior colleges and often doubled or tripled their scores. They beat the UCLA varsity in a pre-season exhibition matchup that year. And he dunked - a lot.
Dude you are old!

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:40 pm

No shit! My dunking days are over.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:00 pm

^ donuts? 8)
Time to Win