Coach Frank Martin

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Re: Coach Frank Martin

Post by eldonabe » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:53 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:06 pm
dennisdent wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:02 am
My parents paid 30k for our former house in South Amherst and now its valued in the $600s (they sold it years ago but still made a nice profit).

You can thank UMass for that. Trust me, Amherst residents care about how they are perceived and if they don't like Frank swearing, they sure as fuck will care.
I see what you did there..... :lol:

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:05 pm

Of course I am and so are those saying that "Am-herst people" care about Martin's coaching style. I'm not talking about those outside of Amherst, only Amherst residents. Doubt they will be out on the Amherst Common with Fire Frank signs for swearing at players or submitting proposals to the town meeting on banning Martin from Amherst until he stops yelling at players. :D

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:11 pm

dennisdent wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:02 am
LS71 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:26 pm ^ That has to be one of the most ridiculous posts I’ve ever seen on this board.

This isn’t about offending anyone. It’s about treating people properly and walking the walk. He says he wants character kids, guys who will play for the name on the front of the jersey. To attract players like that the coach has to behave that way himself…especially when the lights are on. Other coaches yell…Cal yelled, but that’s not the issue.

Name a coach in the Dance, NIT or the other tournament who berates his players in the abusive, obscene way that Frank has?

And not fer nothin’it is precisely because I do care about UMass/UMass Athletics…and have for over 50 gears…that I say this.

Maybe I missed it, but I have not seen/heard the other coaches at UMass behave this way. I gave FM a pass this season…1st year here, i nuries, etc. until I became aware of the things he was saying.
You read my post wrong! I was commenting about how "Am-herst people" are stereotyped by some that a coach like Martin would offend them by his style of coaching. As a former "Am-herst" person, I was just saying that people in Amherst don't give a shit about UMass athletics or the coaches. The vast majority didn't go to UMass and are focused on raising their families and paying expensive mortgages to live in Amherst. My parents paid 30k for our former house in South Amherst and now its valued in the $600s (they sold it years ago but still made a nice profit).
I sure did read it wrong. Thanks for the clarification. 8)
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:11 pm

dennisdent wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:40 pm Where was the the outrage in Amherst by the locals when the video of the UMass football players fighting in the snow was posted online? Wait, there was none. Amherst locals don't care about UMass athletics as it is beneath them to care! You are giving my former friends and neighbors way too much credit! :lol:

I remember plenty of outrage from Amherst-ians back when that happened. Same when Molnar said that the wives should stay home and cook.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:22 pm

dennisdent wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:40 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:30 pm
dennisdent wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:22 pm Again, Amherst people don't care about UMass athletics unless there is some type of illegal actions that are out in the mainstream media. A coach swearing at their players during games that barely anyone attends or watches on ESPN? is not important to Amherst residents. Now salamanders crossing roads or the Vagina Monologues, that will bring them out!

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=u ... nnel&hl=en

https://content.time.com/time/magazine/ ... 86,00.html

You're literally making my point, thank you. They care when there is some ridiculous reason for them to think they have to care. It's been like that for the now 23 years I've known Amherst well and I'm extremely confident it was like that long before as well. They very much love biting the hand that feeds them (UMass).
Where was the the outrage in Amherst by the locals when the video of the UMass football players fighting in the snow was posted online? Wait, there was none. Amherst locals don't care about UMass athletics as it is beneath them to care! You are giving my former friends and neighbors way too much credit! :lol:

Again making the point. Am-Herstians poop-eth stink-eth not.

I have lived in Western Mass my whole life, competed against them in multiple sports, attended school there, and even worked there for a few years.

It is an interesting town. Full of educators and medical professionals. In general they are they essence of NIMBY. They will take up any and all SJW causes vocally but you will rarely find that actual subjects of those causes located in their town limits. Its like the Martha's Vineyard of Hampshire County.

I know many people in Amherst and they are good people. We joke about this a lot and most of my friends there understand and get it.

devildawg3010
Junior

Post by devildawg3010 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:48 pm

One of my all time favs was banning the American flag on people's private property after 9/11.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:50 pm

eldonabe wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:22 pm In general they are they essence of NIMBY. They will take up any and all SJW causes vocally but you will rarely find that actual subjects of those causes located in their town limits. Its like the Martha's Vineyard of Hampshire County.
What you're describing is not NIMBY.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:32 pm

NilesGold wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:50 pm
eldonabe wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:22 pm In general they are they essence of NIMBY. They will take up any and all SJW causes vocally but you will rarely find that actual subjects of those causes located in their town limits. Its like the Martha's Vineyard of Hampshire County.
What you're describing is not NIMBY.
They TALK about the causes, but they do not bring/welcome the actual people they are speaking for into their town. They manage to keep that "riff-raff" in Northampton - AKA NIMBY.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:33 pm

eldonabe wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:02 pm I will say it again....

If anyone spent more than 30 seconds on the google machine when Franks name came to light, NONE of this stuff would be a surprise to ANYONE.

The guy is a fucking maniac on the sidelines - always has been. Way too late to change that now.
It’s amazing how many of the old school fans on this board didn’t seem to know Frank’s style.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:34 pm

Camby4Life wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:33 pm
eldonabe wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:02 pm I will say it again....

If anyone spent more than 30 seconds on the google machine when Franks name came to light, NONE of this stuff would be a surprise to ANYONE.

The guy is a fucking maniac on the sidelines - always has been. Way too late to change that now.
It’s amazing how many of the old school fans on this board didn’t seem to know Frank’s style.

Right?

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:48 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:11 pm
dennisdent wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:40 pm Where was the the outrage in Amherst by the locals when the video of the UMass football players fighting in the snow was posted online? Wait, there was none. Amherst locals don't care about UMass athletics as it is beneath them to care! You are giving my former friends and neighbors way too much credit! :lol:

I remember plenty of outrage from Amherst-ians back when that happened. Same when Molnar said that the wives should stay home and cook.
If there wasn't a sit-in at the town hall, a protest on the town common or a motion at the town meeting--it didn't happen! Evidence is needed please? :lol:

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:51 pm

:roll:
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:59 pm

eldonabe wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:22 pm
dennisdent wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:40 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:30 pm

You're literally making my point, thank you. They care when there is some ridiculous reason for them to think they have to care. It's been like that for the now 23 years I've known Amherst well and I'm extremely confident it was like that long before as well. They very much love biting the hand that feeds them (UMass).
Where was the the outrage in Amherst by the locals when the video of the UMass football players fighting in the snow was posted online? Wait, there was none. Amherst locals don't care about UMass athletics as it is beneath them to care! You are giving my former friends and neighbors way too much credit! :lol:

Again making the point. Am-Herstians poop-eth stink-eth not.

I have lived in Western Mass my whole life, competed against them in multiple sports, attended school there, and even worked there for a few years.

It is an interesting town. Full of educators and medical professionals. In general they are they essence of NIMBY. They will take up any and all SJW causes vocally but you will rarely find that actual subjects of those causes located in their town limits. Its like the Martha's Vineyard of Hampshire County.

I know many people in Amherst and they are good people. We joke about this a lot and most of my friends there understand and get it.
I watched the state championship runner-up Amherst High School football coach loudly chew the teams butt for making multiple penalties a few years back during a game. Didn't hear one peep about it from the all the Am-herstians who will come after Martin for doing the same with his team.
Last edited by dennisdent on Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:00 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:51 pm :roll:
Come on, you can do better than that emoji!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:06 pm

dennisdent wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:00 pm

Come on, you can do better than that emoji!
And you can do better than claiming it requires registered protests in town. Give me a fucking break. Amherst has had this reputation for DECADES.