Coach Frank Martin

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Re: Coach Frank Martin

Post by DoctorJ » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:31 pm

Awesome interview! TY for sharing...

Sure sounds like he wants challenges in the OOC schedule. Those are probably going to be difficult to come by.

He doesn't want pushovers that allow players to get into bad habits and create false expectations. Very interesting. Not sure how tough an OOC he will be able to build this season. Well, three tournament games plus Penn State away and North Texas in Springfield are all pretty challenging. Dartmouth at home is a likely gimme game and Hofstra in Brooklyn is hopefully highly winnable.

Sounds like he's open to a buy game that can get us on TV and a little $chingy for the program. We've surprised teams in the past with those but they are going to be challenging to find.

I hope that he gets that NESN type games against bigger New England schools that are not elite programs are very doable and keep us on TV regionally. Alums will get to his approach to UMass Basketball in this first season.

I know he wants a big full-day lineup in Boston with teams like: UMass, BC, UConn and Providence. What a cool one-day event that would be. Would be even better as a two-day tournament, if we could pull it off. I am not expecting this to happen. Not this year, at least. Frank was at NU, so he knows how the Beanpot shifts the demand curve for those participating programs. Players want to be a part of this.

The immediate future, imho, is that we will have to play the other regionals until such a tournament can be worked out.

I hope we can focus on these: Northeastern, Harvard, Yale, BU, Vermont, Lowell and maybe Holy Cross (I like beating them and occasional game in Worcester is fun). Most of this group is worthy of 2 for 1 H-A-H series in the near term. I don't think anyone wants to elevate Bryant and Merrimack by playing them.

New York state is not far from a travel perspective. Iona will be of interest to our fan base. Would love a four year series with them and alternate location each year. Siena, Albany, Army might have some usefulness.

I would expect he is likely looking to get games vs. decent teams in AAC, Conf USA and Colonial League. Those won't fill the Bill, but would hopefully keep them away from playing teams that kill the NET and RPI.

Road and neutral site games minimize the effect of an upset to a lower conference opponent. We have a lot of neutral, likely good opponents in the MTE. We have a solid road opponent in Penn State. So far only Dartmouth at home.

As far as Dartmouth, I'm glad that it is at least an elite school if we are playing a bad team. Don't see many tickets going.

I'll be shocked if we don't play both Harvard and Lowell.

One thing I do notice, so far. Frank seems more selective in opponents and players, compared to McCall.

Looks like this MTE doesn't come with associated home games with selected opponents. So he has many games to fill. I don't see how he avoids having pushovers on the OOC schedule.

This year I just want to see us win and develop in OOC, without having too many awful opponents. Give him a year to build before we start expecting 4k regularly coming to OOC games in the Bill. It won't happen over night.

Really hoping the news cycle pics up over the next four weeks.
Refuse To Lose!!!

thecaptain
Senior

Post by thecaptain » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:25 pm

Does we know if any of our coaches are at Peach Jam? GG and Power are playing so was curious if we had anyone there scouting?

Uminuteman
Senior

Post by Uminuteman » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:17 am

thecaptain wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:25 pm Does we know if any of our coaches are at Peach Jam? GG and Power are playing so was curious if we had anyone there scouting?
You can forget about both of them. GG said he isn't coming and Power said he wants to play on the biggest stage...that ain't us (right now).

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:54 am

Frank is doing it to us again. Maybe this time there will actually be some news.
Frank Martin
@coachFMartin
·
10h
Hey #UMASS Twitter this news I got for you just keeps getting better! Wow wow wow

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:11 am

Gonna play Kentucky

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:55 am

Upstate10 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:11 am Gonna play Kentucky
I think this or Ty weeks getting the open assistant job is the answer. I think Ty would bring tyriek with him. (I know he is not heavily recruited). The “family” being central to the tweets leads me to this.

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:56 am

Very interesting thought. Especially with Frank saying he wants to introduce it all at once.

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:46 pm

Maybe Kellogg is coming back as an assistant and Max is committing to UMass, class of 2028 :lol:
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:50 pm

They still owe us a game at the Garden from 15 years ago.
#maction 🚩#flagship

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:28 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:55 am
I think this or Ty weeks getting the open assistant job is the answer. I think Ty would bring tyriek with him. (I know he is not heavily recruited). The “family” being central to the tweets leads me to this.
Yeah I doubt that family is a common theme in almost all Martin says and does I wouldn’t read much into it

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:59 pm

Sheck wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:50 pm
They still owe us a game at the Garden from 15 years ago.
Would love it to be in campus but would take it on Mars if I had to

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:21 pm

69MG wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:54 am Frank is doing it to us again. Maybe this time there will actually be some news.
Frank Martin
@coachFMartin
·
10h
Hey #UMASS Twitter this news I got for you just keeps getting better! Wow wow wow
Could it be that he has been named a brand ambassador for Hair Club for Men?
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:41 pm

If I had to guess I’m going with the news being we’ve got a new assistant and also the recruits FM alluded to a few weeks back.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:33 pm

Sure hope we get some clues as to what Frank is talking about with all the enthusiasm lately.

So damn quiet. Can we at lease announce some scheduling progress??? :lol:
Refuse To Lose!!!

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:41 pm

How about at least naming the guy who mows Frank's lawn? Something! Anything!