Coach Frank Martin

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
massprof
Freshman

Re: Coach Frank Martin

Post by massprof » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:08 pm

Frank had several illuminating remarks at today’s luncheon. Regarding Matt, he’s graduating this spring and he needs to decide whether he wants to stay in school (here) another year. That’s what’s holding things up. Regarding the disappointing loss to VCU in the A10s, both point guards were extremely beaten up and hadn’t even been able to practice the prior 2 weeks. A big factor in the game. Finally, he left after lunch to do a Zoom call with a 6’10” recruit. Here’s hoping things went well!

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:17 pm

Thanks for sharing.
Go UMass!!

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:05 pm

Hopefully we have the funds to make staying in school one more year worth his while. Find this man the easiest grad program there is! And if he needs a "tutor" I'll be happy to help :lol: :lol:

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:19 pm

^ & ^^^
Exactly what The Collective is for. I know Patrick will do whatever he can regarding Matt. Good report, massprof. Let's hope for the best.

chapter 11
Junior

Post by chapter 11 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:59 pm

Looking back who wouldn't want to spend an extra year in college and Amherst. Could crush it in a myriad of ways.

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:02 pm

^ Right? Imagine an extra year at UMass with a pocket full of a cash and being the man on campus. Heaven!

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:13 am

Thanks for the update on Cross. Getting a feel for his value at the pro level or coming back and enrolling in a grad program is not an easy decision, and one that understandably is taking some time. Whatever he decides to do, I'll be a Matt Cross fan. I've said it before, but I was a doubter when he came here two years ago because of his history of bouncing around, but he's been nothing but an absolute warrior for UMass. Best of luck to him whatever he decides to do, but obviously (and selfishly), I'd love for him to come back for one more year here at UMass.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:19 pm

One thing I think might be a weak spot for us next year is defensively at the guard spot, unless Nate G is as advertised on the defensive side. Keon was an excellent defensive guard and his physical presence was huge. Not sure we have anything close to that in Curry and Rahsool who are more offensively minded. Keon wasn't a highlight reel guy but was very steady & consistent and I think his absence will be felt. Not the same game or player but he reminded me of Dana Dingle in his quiet demeanor and steady, mistake free play
Time to Win

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:11 pm

Floyd wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:19 pm One thing I think might be a weak spot for us next year is defensively at the guard spot, unless Nate G is as advertised on the defensive side. Keon was an excellent defensive guard and his physical presence was huge. Not sure we have anything close to that in Curry and Rahsool who are more offensively minded. Keon wasn't a highlight reel guy but was very steady & consistent and I think his absence will be felt. Not the same game or player but he reminded me of Dana Dingle in his quiet demeanor and steady, mistake free play
Rahsool is actually a solid defender. Very long wingspan that can affect the other players dribble and make them feel pressured. Curry, on the other hand, definitely needs to improve defensively, hopefully that will come with time. I’m hoping that he’s working on bulking up in the offseason, should be his #1 priority. He probably allowed the most and 1’s on the team because his fouls were so weak.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:50 am

Wow, just love Coach Frank Martin! Please support him and give to the Court Club and the Massachusetts Collective.
In this episode, there is a nugget in recruiting this weekend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGXFWAh33hM
Go UMass!!