2022-23 roster

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: 2022-23 roster

Post by 69MG » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:27 pm

Kante and Martin are the only 2 who have used up all of their eligibility. Do we know who will come back for 1 more year? Not a clue.

Zeke
Freshman

Post by Zeke » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:49 pm

Thanks!

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:40 pm

Frank has his hands full with this roster and figuring out rotations and playing time. We haven’t seen a complete roster like this in a long time. Things will change throughout the season and 5 games isn’t much but here’s some takeaways on the roster

-Noah is the leader/floor general. (Jacob Pullen for any KSU Frank fans)
-WL/Kante combine for 15/10 and constant rim protection
-Primary scorers are Noah/TJ/Cross/Luis (need 3 of them in double figures for 60+% of total points)
-Diggins/DD/Keon/Martin Defense/rebounding/scoring is secondary and a bonus.
-Wildcard-Gapare, has the hype and potential to be an impact player. The visa delay and injury gives us an N/A
-Gianni, another N/A but can be serviceable backup who can earn more pt in practice.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:00 am

It is officially time to start talking about a certain player that is probably a great teammate, but unfortunately isn't a good enough player to be in the starting lineup anymore, and maybe only a depth player when there are no other options available.

- Dyondre has surprised most of us with his play. He's been a great spark plug for this team and looked like the best player out there at times. I never saw that coming.
- Tafara had his best night and most minutes against Harvard. I said in the game thread that his athleticism forced Frank Martin to keep him in the game. He couldn't take him out, and he made the game winning plays for us. He's going to continue to see more minutes.

These two guys have to start taking minutes away from the other guy. 13 minutes last night (2 points), 13 minutes at USF (0 points), 25 minutes vs Charlotte (0 points). He's shooting 0.143 percent from the field on the season. Even if he was an elite defender, you can't have offense that bad out there. For crying out loud, Kolton Mitchell shot > 40% on limited attempts. I'm sorry to say it, I don't want to rip players, but he needs to be on the bench, waving towels, putting his arm around guys when they come out, and being a motivator and teammate, but he can't be out there on the floor anymore.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:26 am

Is he really shooting,0.143 percent? That would be something like 7 for 5000.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:46 am

^ Either move the dot over two or drop the "percent" - although 7 for 5000 might be possible.

On another front, anyone know what the players call Mr. (about to be a star) New Zealand? We can't go through the year calling him Tafara or Gapare!
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:03 am

Right, he's shooting 0.143, or 14.3% - from the UMass Athletics stats page. Either way, he can't be out there when there are 11, maybe 12 (we haven't seen much of Gianni yet to evaluate) more effective players than him.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:57 am

Juice, I hear you, and I think as Tafara and DD prove they deserve more minutes, his minutes may decrease. But who starts isn't as important as who finishes. DD fouled out last night without starting, and until Tafara establishes whether he plays serious minutes and also stays out of foul trouble, why risk having either foul out by the end of games when you want them available. I think Frank is still getting a feel for his lineups, and so far at 6-1, what he's doing is working. He's a good coach and I think he'll always do what's best for the group. Just would hate for team chemistry to get messed up with all the BM negativity
Time to Win

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:33 am

A week ago I totally agreed with that, and I still agree that it doesn't matter who starts, but he played 13 minutes last night and went 0-4 from the field. That's more minutes than Diggins, Kante, and Keon.

Your point about Gapare is well taken, but he showed what he can do for the first time last night, and it was tantalizing. We have some weaker opponents at home next week. This is the time to give him those minutes and get acclimated. If not now, when?

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:38 am

Quick follow up on your point about chemistry. What if he sits on the bench and is a great cheerleader like Kolton had been, or Rigo Nunez back in the day. Every team needs that guy who helps out in practice, and supports his guys during the game. What if his poor production is already causing chemistry issues because guys know they deserve his minutes and maybe the games wouldn't be so close?

I believe in Frank Martin to do what's best, he's a great coach, but this is the time. Right now.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:28 pm

We are 6-1 with the same starting lineup, why change it up? Some of you guys are obsessed with Brandon’s playing time. Take a look at Frank’s resume when it comes to starting lineups and playing time. He likes to start the same lineup and has always played 8-11 guys at least 15 min a game. This is all part of his system. We only see what takes place for the 40 min of game time, but so much of his process is practice time. We have no idea who is successful in practice. Let’s just enjoy the ride of this start of the season.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:36 pm

Juice, I agree with you. Not advocating that the best players shouldn't get the most minutes. Believe me, I want Tafara out there for 40. Just don't want all the BM stuff to create negativity. By all accounts a good kid and I'm sure it sucks to read this stuff every game. I'm sure minutes will work themselves out and Frank will do what works best for the team

Good to be hyped for UMass hoops again
Time to Win

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:46 pm

Totally agree with you. You probably know I don't like to blast players, and I hope that's not how it comes off. I think he can be an outstanding role model to the younger guys.

And Floyd, I'm always hyped for UMass hoops. Let's get another one on Monday!
Last edited by Juice Stand on Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:46 pm

Juice Stand wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:38 am
I believe in Frank Martin to do what's best, he's a great coach, but this is the time. Right now.
You are contradicting yourself in one sentence. You say your believe FM will do what's best for the team, and then you're telling him that he is doing it wrong. I understand what you're saying but we should just let things play out. I trust FM.
Last edited by capezona on Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:51 pm

Capezona, no that's not true. I thought having him start Martin through the first few games was a smart move. I've said that previously. His experience provided some stability and leadership for a new group of guys, but now, with some weaker teams at home, this is the right time to start making those adjustments.

It's ok to say that I'm of the opinion that Frank is a good coach and will do what's best, and also state my opinion that this is a good time to start adjusting the lineups.