2022-23 roster

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
capezona
Hall of Fame

Re: 2022-23 roster

Post by capezona » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:12 pm

Another scenario is that no one leaves but, with new guys coming in that get the minutes, one or two existing players leave after 22-23. Of course, that limits who comes in right now. So, never stop recruiting!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:34 pm

If Cross can't get a waiver to allow him to play right away his is a wasted scholarship. He has already transferred so he'd have to sit a year. Looking at all of the scenarios in this thread, we need a big more than anything. If Leveque gets in foul trouble or gets injured we are pretty small up front. That's my stance and I am sticking to it. The twins would be fantastic. One is a center and the other is a stretch 4.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:37 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:15 pm Cairo can sure slide to 3. The list I gave was based on being able to guard that position, not where I think they will see most time. How we match up against opponents is another determinant of how many we win and how far we go. Yes, there are outliers every year. Coaches are not hanging hopes on being an outlier when giving their last available scholarship.

I think there is a big gap between "plays big" and being able to hold down the 4 at 6-5. With the foul rate of the guys we have that cam defend the 4, we'd be in four guard mode every game. I don't see a good reason to put ourselves in that position in the A10.
I'm not entirely sure I understand that first paragraph. I think it's unlikely that Cairo will ever play college basketball as a '2', more likely at the '3', or possibly some at the 4 in small-ball lineups. The college game has much more of an emphasis on speed and 3pt shooting now than it did before. Just look at Martin's SC team last year, 6 of the top 7 players in mpg were guards or wings who are Cairo's size or smaller.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:06 pm

Because they had a lot of bigs and spread out the minutes. Compare our current team vs. SC last year. Right now we have less by far. Gray, Wildens, Woody, Wilson, Minot, and Benson are all big dudes. We have 2 and 2 tall skinny guys.

With that many big guys, they split up a lot of minutes and had injuries. But FM didn't fill out his roster with guards

Expecting three guys who foul a lot to pick up the slack is outrageous to consider. FM had 2 of them last year and didn't feel comfortable enough to go with fewer bigs a year ago. Why would he now?...rhetorical

The team needs more size. Needed more size last year when we debated it then.

I'd add "believe me," but I fear we wouldn't get much sleep carrying it out.
Refuse To Lose!!!

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:59 am

My feeling is that the fewer McCall guys on the team, the better off the team will be.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:18 am

DoctorJ wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:06 pm Because they had a lot of bigs and spread out the minutes. Compare our current team vs. SC last year. Right now we have less by far. Gray, Wildens, Woody, Wilson, Minot, and Benson are all big dudes. We have 2 and 2 tall skinny guys.

With that many big guys, they split up a lot of minutes and had injuries. But FM didn't fill out his roster with guards

Expecting three guys who foul a lot to pick up the slack is outrageous to consider. FM had 2 of them last year and didn't feel comfortable enough to go with fewer bigs a year ago. Why would he now?...rhetorical

The team needs more size. Needed more size last year when we debated it then.
I've never said that the 2022-23 team wouldn't benefit from adding another big man. I think Woodley will very rarely be on the court alongside Leveque or another true big man. I think Cairo will almost never be on the court as a '2' - there will always be 2 guards or a guard and a quicker wing like TJ. There is almost nothing about Cairo that fits as a '2'.

If you look at the SC lineup data from evanmiya.com, you'll see that 4 of SC's 5 most used 5-man lineups during the 2021-22 season had 1 big and 4 guys who were wings or guards and roughly the same size, or smaller, than Cairo. Furthermore, if you look at the 11 different lineups used for at least 10 possessions that include Woodley, based on their adjusted team efficiency margin, 5 of the best 6 had Woodley as the only big, and the two that had both Woodley & Leveque together were the 3rd worst, and worst of the 11 combinations - the efficiency numbers (both offensive & defensive) when they're together were terrible.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:49 am

FWIW, if you want to read into things, the only two guys from the 2021-22 team who still have eligibility left that I couldn't spot in the latest video from the official MBB Twitter account is Javohn Garcia and Cairo McCrory. I was able to spot Weeks and Walker there, even though it didn't appear as though they were doing the drills like their teammates. Could be nothing, could be something.

https://twitter.com/UMassMBB/status/1516770521974812672

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:43 am

Looks like the fire is back in Preston's eyes. Hope he does well.

bobolink
Junior

Post by bobolink » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:43 am

regarding Niles last 2 posts: I wouldn't read anything into Weeks and Walker not participating in the drill twittered, especially Walker who's still recovering from injury. That EvanMiya site you referred to is interesting and could pour some cold on our excitement over the incoming transfers. It has Leveque as our top incoming rated 195th best. The next UMass listing is 202, Javohn Garcia. Diggins is #293 and Woodley comes in at #330. Best incoming in the A10 is Neal Quinn to Richmond. He's 7', 260 lbs. Second best incoming is Bryce Golden to Loyola. He's 6'9", 245 lbs. Refer to the discussion of the roster need of bigs. I'm a firm believer in the need for a third big.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:53 am

I have maroon colored glasses too, Niles. But if we only have 2 players that are capable of playing the 5 and both foul a lot, and two players that can play the 4, and both are skinny guys with one completely unable to defend the position, you are going to see minutes for both positions spread between the 4 players. All four have foul issues.

If we never see them together, it's because we don't have enough bigs to deal with what teams will throw at us. Woodley is a 4, not a true 5.

Bigs get it foul trouble and get hurt.

We need more bigs. Just like I said last year, and you did continually argue that you can win without them. We didn't win like that. Few teams do. FM was loaded with bigs last year. MM was not, he listened to Niles, we had a soft front court and didn't rebound.

Look at what we have right now. Doesn't it say something that FM is going after a PF who doesn't foul and can play 30+ minutes without getting bumped for fouls. Francisco sees what you are still in denial about, buddy.

Cairo not being a 2 doesn't make him a 4. He's not Lou Roe incarnate. That's what Cal used to call "hopes and dreams."

There is a reason FM is looking at 2 7 footers and Matt Cross. He sees what you are not seeing, Niles.

I don't know why you want midget basketball squad. Maybe URI will do that with Miller and be okay. That's Miller. We got Frank!
Refuse To Lose!!!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:28 am

I was in the "if we have enough good guards and rebound as a team we will be fine" camp last year. I was wrong. We need more depth up front.

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:33 am

Definitely need more size. Cross would be good but he’s not a big more of a long wing with how he plays and shoots. I really think we need minimum one more big if not 2. If we get 2 plus cross 2 guys will have to transfer. Personally would have no problem if Cairo or Kolton will go don’t think either will see a ton of minutes

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:38 am

Absolutely need another big... that's been a given from the jump.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:06 am

TheInsider wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:28 am I was in the "if we have enough good guards and rebound as a team we will be fine" camp last year. I was wrong. We need more depth up front.
I suggest that maybe we didn't have enough "good" guards, nor did we rebound as a team.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:10 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was a major proponent of getting more bigs last year and got yelled at by Niles numerous times. If you can't rebound and defend the rim you are destined to failure. I made a comment last year that MM was a worse GM than he was a coach. I stand by that.