2022-23 roster

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
vanmeter
Hall of Fame

2022-23 roster

Post by vanmeter » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:14 pm

Now that the season is over the big question (other than who the coach will be) is who will stay.
I understand that probably (hopefully) nothing will happen until a new coach is in place and this would effect what happens. Ilist the following as players on the team have eligibility left:
Fernandes, Weeks, CJ Jones, Garcia, Dominquez. Walker, Santos, and McCory.
In addition to who wants to stay, another side to it is who the new coach wants to keep.

KahunaK
Senior

Re: Who Will Stay

Post by KahunaK » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:18 pm

^Wow- the body isn't even cold yet.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:25 pm

The body may not be cold but rest assured the vultures will be out

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:18 pm

vanmeter wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:14 pm Now that the season is over the big question (other than who the coach will be) is who will stay.
I understand that probably (hopefully) nothing will happen until a new coach is in place and this would effect what happens. Ilist the following as players on the team have eligibility left:
Fernandes, Weeks, CJ Jones, Garcia, Dominquez. Walker, Santos, and McCory.
In addition to who wants to stay, another side to it is who the new coach wants to keep.
I know you meant CJ Kelly, not Jones. You also forgot Kolton Mitchell. A lot will depend on who the new coach is, his credibility and frankly, who he can bring in to replace the 4 seniors. If he brings in some talented players quickly, the remaining guys might see a brighter future and decide to stay.
If we were to take a poll it would be in 2 parts:
Who do you want to stay?
Who do you think will stay?
The answers might not be the same.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:12 pm

Yes Cj Kelly. I did, unintentional mistake, forget KoltonMitchell. Also does Fernandes have 2 years remaining?

bmc24
Junior

Post by bmc24 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:40 pm

Noah and TJ have to the priority. Noah is an absolute stud whose number needs to be in the Bill rafters one day. Keep this kid home in mass. F P5 schools. Had so much fun watching them
In person. Wish they played more in DC area where I live ! Pretty good spread as it is! Thanks to Matt for putting his heart and soul out there the last couple weeks.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:01 am

Noah's dad has been quite vocal this year. This is one tweet we should all like, answering Sean Carter:
Sean Carter
@Sean_Carter54
5h
Fernandes won’t be at Umass next year this kid got game
Mike Fernandes
@micnice10
Replying to
@Sean_Carter54
He’ll be back!!

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:20 am

Yes, Fernandes and TJ need to be a priority. I like Garcia too. Throw in CJ and we have a deep backcourt to build off of. I'd like to see Dibaji come back and get healthy.

Gonna need some bigs, as usual. Not sure where they will come from.

Doesn't Greg Jones have another year of eligibility?
Refuse To Lose!!!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:43 am

It's possible that Jones has another year but decided not to use it so he was honored at Senior Night. He played 2 years at James Madison, 1 year at Southern CT and 1 year here. With the extra "Covid" year, I think he would get a 5th year if he wanted it.

As to your question of where will the bigs come from? Only 2 places I can think of. The portal is the most likely. The other possibility is that the new coach brings a couple with him. I'm not sure if transfers have to sit out now or if the waiver is still in effect. That would make a huge difference.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:32 am

69MG wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:01 am Noah's dad has been quite vocal this year. This is one tweet we should all like, answering Sean Carter:
Sean Carter
@Sean_Carter54
5h
Mike Fernandes
@micnice10
Replying to
@Sean_Carter54
He’ll be back!!
C'mon Sean Carter, where's the love for UMass?
Noah was outstanding down the stretch. Besides his abilities, we need his leadership. Huge piece for this team
Time to Win

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:46 am

To the person who said Noah’s number should be in the rafters. Come on. The guy is not even close to impactful as Chaz was after two years. Don’t believe Chaz will get his number retired
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

Carl Spackler
Junior

Post by Carl Spackler » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:08 am

Noah, TJ and Garcia would have many attractive options if they were interested....after this tournament there aren’t many coaches in America that wouldn’t jump through hoops to have Noah on their team.
Outside of those 3 the remaining kids would likely have to bump down a level
That said, I really hope Noah, TJ and Garcia stay....

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:13 am

Man, I hope they all stay. Noah, TJ, and Garcia are the obvious ones. Walker, we know what he can do and he brings such great energy. Cairo and Preston are just scratching the surface, and Dyondre has the athleticism, just needs to put some weight on.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:38 am

Outside of Noah, TJ, and Garcia, I think Dominquez would be a very important keep. If Jones leaves or is not eligible, we would not have any returning size. I would guess that Dominquez was not happy about his playing time this year, but given what's in front of us, he would have every opportunity next season for significant time.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:55 am

69MG wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:01 am Noah's dad has been quite vocal this year. This is one tweet we should all like, answering Sean Carter:
Sean Carter
@Sean_Carter54
5h
Mike Fernandes
@micnice10
Replying to
@Sean_Carter54
He’ll be back!!
Wow I love seeing this from Mr. Fernandes!