3 Things Happened

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Re: 3 Things Happened

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:01 am

We didn't talk much about it during the year (probably because there wasn't much talk at all haha) but losing Dibaji, UMass' best defensive player, contributed to being one of the worst defensive teams in the country. He wouldn't have made them a good D, but they would've been better with him.

It's hard to gauge how impactful Cairo's injury was. I had really high hopes for him this year as a guard who could bring defense, rebounding, and overall toughness. He was really bad in the few games he played before his injury, looking lost out there on D and O. For whatever reason his head just didn't seem like it was in the right place.

A full strength Javohn, Cairo, Preston, and Dibaji would have been a formidable defensive lineup. Just another "what could have been".

Carl Spackler
Junior

Post by Carl Spackler » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:35 am

Forbes, Brower, Putney, Esho, Gaffney, Vinson, Farrell, Flowers (what he eventually became), Morgan, Carter (pre-injury)...all athletic 6’5” to 6’8” wings that could handle the ball a little, slash, shoot pretty well, finish in transition, rebound....versatile...not all the same player and certainly not all at the same level...the McCall era has seen a massive void in this type of player...Tre was excellent and on the same level or above these guys but I saw him as more post and spot up shooter, pick and pop...not a slasher or transition game finisher.
Degray may have developed into this, Weeks is close, Walker has been anemic offensively, Chatman might have been...
Roster needs overhaul, just not enough dudes like Don Brown is looking for...best players are smaller guards like Noah, Garcia, Kelly or limited bigs like Buttrick that doesn’t have the athleticism or versatility

Not sure why I posted this just wanted to get it off my chest and hear some thoughts

Carl Spackler
Junior

Post by Carl Spackler » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:39 am

Add Donte Clark to the list...super athletic, slasher, decent shooter, etc....

Carl Spackler
Junior

Post by Carl Spackler » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:44 am

If we go back to the 90’s the list of these type of players would be too long....and depressing.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:00 pm

^^^

I felt early on that Weeks would have been better served as a more inside presence (building off his dad's game), but the lure of the trifecta was too appealing for him.

Uminuteman
Senior

Post by Uminuteman » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:52 pm

harbo wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:00 pm ^^^

I felt early on that Weeks would have been better served as a more inside presence (building off his dad's game), but the lure of the trifecta was too appealing for him.
He would need to add 25lbs of muscle to be a consistent inside presence.

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:19 pm

3 words: dumbest thread ever

Carl Spackler
Junior

Post by Carl Spackler » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:19 pm

I disagree strongly....he’s a wing player, jump shooter...his slashing to the rim game is developing.....hope he stays and continues to improve....lot to offer.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:33 pm

Carl Spackler wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:19 pm

I disagree strongly....he’s a wing player, jump shooter...his slashing to the rim game is developing.....hope he stays and continues to improve....lot to offer.
Agree. TJ is really a unique and interesting player. He can slash, go deep, and hit the boards. Massive potential. The problem to date is that he just disappears for stretches. But when he is on, it is great to watch.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:35 am

And TJ still has a ton of time to improve, if he so chooses. He has 2 more years of eligibility, if not 3.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades