KAEO: Noah Fernandes

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: Noah Fernandes

Post by DoctorJ » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:01 pm

I would think airtight sources would offer more information than just a hypothesis that Noah quit on his team and coaches.

Why? Why would the guy not play if he was cleared? I don't think this helps his value on the market. Why would a team throw NIL money at a guy who gets hurt and quits instead of playing once cleared? Who is going to depend on a guy who was mostly hurt in two out of his four years and didn't finish the last one after only playing 11 games?

I actually thought the injury made it more likely he would stay.

Did he not like Frank???
Refuse To Lose!!!

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:27 pm

Could he possible appeal and get a redshirt or has he already used it. Thought the cutoff was around 10 games, but don't really know or care to look it up. But could be a possibility.
Go UMass!!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:45 pm

Wish him the best and he's a UMass alum for life. Hope he gets some good NIL cash to support his family; plays in front of big crowds and sets himself up for some nice overseas hoop gigs.

If he transfers to Vermont/Merrimack/UMass Lowell/BC/UConn, I'll be pissed!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:54 pm

Steve81 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:27 pm Could he possible appeal and get a redshirt or has he already used it. Thought the cutoff was around 10 games, but don't really know or care to look it up. But could be a possibility.
He has 1 year left. The rule is you can get a medical redshirt if you play in fewer than 30% of your team's games. We played 31, so 30% is 9 and he played in 11.

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:11 am

while "airtight source" may sound funny to some of you - I am also of the opinion he chose not to play - I won't go so far as to say he quit on the team but I think if the team was playing well and had a chance to make a run in the A-10 tourney I think he would have played.

Frank on several occasions said without saying it that he thought he could play. Frank was point blank asked in a post game interview when Noah would play again - I don't remember the exact words he used but he said something like - Noah will play again once his body tells him he's ok to play. When I heard that I immediately thought that Frank felt like he could play or as others have said was cleared to play and he just wasn't. Kinda reminded me of when then Patriots coach Bill Parcells was asked about an injury to WR Terry Glen and Parcells responded by saying - "she's making progress"

On senior night Frank went out of his way to give Wildens, Kante and TJ big hugs - when Noah walked over he just gave him an awkward "bro" hug - to me that told me all I needed to know about there relationship - or lack there of.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:50 am

Noah gave us some great moments during some down years. Something did seem odd with the injury but so be it. If there is tension with Frank I’m happy they both handled it diplomatically.

I don’t begrudge any player who makes a move to get to the tourney or to help themselves/family financially. Good luck Noah.

The portal giveth and taketh away. There’s a lot of great guards out there, Frank needs to bring in 1 or 2.

debache
Freshman

Post by debache » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:08 am

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:11 am while "airtight source" may sound funny to some of you - I am also of the opinion he chose not to play - I won't go so far as to say he quit on the team but I think if the team was playing well and had a chance to make a run in the A-10 tourney I think he would have played.

Frank on several occasions said without saying it that he thought he could play. Frank was point blank asked in a post game interview when Noah would play again - I don't remember the exact words he used but he said something like - Noah will play again once his body tells him he's ok to play. When I heard that I immediately thought that Frank felt like he could play or as others have said was cleared to play and he just wasn't. Kinda reminded me of when then Patriots coach Bill Parcells was asked about an injury to WR Terry Glen and Parcells responded by saying - "she's making progress"

On senior night Frank went out of his way to give Wildens, Kante and TJ big hugs - when Noah walked over he just gave him an awkward "bro" hug - to me that told me all I needed to know about there relationship - or lack there of.
100 percent agree...his body language on the bench was very telling to me that he was all done with this year and UMass. I recall Noah saying "McCall was the best coach he ever had", he did not have that affinity with Martin. That is how it goes sometimes. I am totally fine with his leaving (he left months ago). I thoroughly enjoyed watching him and wish him all the luck in the world, but we will move on with freshman guards who gained so much experience and will only be better for it next year.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:06 am

If you can recall Noah’s last game was the home game we lost against LaSalle. He played 35 minutes and played well although he kept the ball himself the last 10 seconds and ended up with a bad shot. Team lost by 1. He never played again.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:15 am

I certainly would be pretty disappointed if he really "quit" on the team, but I just don't buy it being that cut and dry. If his body wasn't right, in addition to becoming a parent, that's enough reason to take a step back... and he remained with the team until the end, so it is entirely possible that he and the staff/teammates were in agreement on him doing so. I guess I look at the term "quit" and think of someone leaving the program mid-season or something like that.

He more often than not gave his all here at UMass, while doing so under some pretty underwhelming teams and a coaching change. I wish him the best, and happy he's walking away with a UMass degree.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:36 am

Noah tried his best to play through a lot of pain in his ankle, and now we have guys here saying that he simply gave up and quit on the team by not continuing to play through the pain and making his ankle injury even worse. Classic!

He came back from the ankle injury way too soon originally and that caused his ankle to only get worse.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:57 am

Leave the guy (Noah) be. Wish him well and why fret about the past. You guys should start worrying about the future, it's more relevant.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:08 am

69MG wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:54 pm
Steve81 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:27 pm Could he possible appeal and get a redshirt or has he already used it. Thought the cutoff was around 10 games, but don't really know or care to look it up. But could be a possibility.
He has 1 year left. The rule is you can get a medical redshirt if you play in fewer than 30% of your team's games. We played 31, so 30% is 9 and he played in 11.
So if they had won two in the A10 tourney, he would be able to redshirt. That could have been part of the equation in deciding when to sit.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:17 am

He was a really good offensive player who had lots of injury issues. Seemed like a good dude. Hope he finds success wherever he lands.

If he was healthy enough to play he should have played — that’s, you know, a big part of the deal. I don’t know if that was the case nor do I particularly care enough to find out more as I am more concerned with the future and who is going to have the keys to this offense (I don’t think either dude still on the roster is the answer but I’ve been wrong before though.)
"I wrote a column and it went national"

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:56 am

69MG wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:57 am Leave the guy (Noah) be. Wish him well and why fret about the past. You guys should start worrying about the future, it's more relevant.
Your point about thinking about the future makes the discussion over whether he should have played if he was no longer hurt, very relevant.

We're looking for players who will give UMass everything, but the college basketball world of today does not support that. It supports playing for the name on the back of the jersey instead of the one on the front, as is evidenced by Noah's situation this year.

If he was healthy, he should have played. We can only speculate as to how much better UMass' season might have been if he did. But my guess that UMass' would have finished over .500 and might well be playing in the NIT.

Like I posted earlier in this thread, I wish Noah well, but the world of "college: basketball needs to be fixed. Are players playing for their schools or is college hoops just a lower-level minor league as guys jockey for position to play pro ball?

I'd love to see how/if graduation rates change in this era of transfers, NILs, etc. Do "scholarships" mean anything anymore?
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:07 pm

LS71 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:56 am
69MG wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:57 am Leave the guy (Noah) be. Wish him well and why fret about the past. You guys should start worrying about the future, it's more relevant.
Your point about thinking about the future makes the discussion over whether he should have played if he was no longer hurt, very relevant.

We're looking for players who will give UMass everything, but the college basketball world of today does not support that. It supports playing for the name on the back of the jersey instead of the one on the front, as is evidenced by Noah's situation this year.

If he was healthy, he should have played. We can only speculate as to how much better UMass' season might have been if he did. But my guess that UMass' would have finished over .500 and might well be playing in the NIT.

Like I posted earlier in this thread, I wish Noah well, but the world of "college: basketball needs to be fixed. Are players playing for their schools or is college hoops just a lower-level minor league as guys jockey for position to play pro ball?

I'd love to see how/if graduation rates change in this era of transfers, NILs, etc. Do "scholarships" mean anything anymore?
Scholarships are year by year for the most part and coaches have routinely recruited over players. Coaches have always coached for their name not the school. Very rarely do you find a coach that is synonymous with a school any longer. And, if you did it is because they are either at their alma mater or the highest level/conference in their sport. Players now have some control over their lives in the current world of college sports that resembles what coaches have had for years. It is a different world for sure.