If McCall is relieved of his duties

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

When?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:52 am

The same day they lose final game of season
49%
By the end of Day - Selection Sunday
15%
Before the tourney starts (Thursday Games not play in)
24%
He keeps his job
12%

Total votes: 41

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re: If McCall is relieved of his duties

Post by Floyd » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:55 am

All this stuff has been discussed ad nauseam all year, and at this point it does no good to keep rehashing stuff because it starts to become non beneficial. These kids are trying to win, they appear to be supporting each other, and MM has tried to stay positive for them. He appears to be a solid guy that the kids respect, but its just not happening. For the benefit of everyone involved, its time to move on.
Time to Win

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:18 am

^ Thank you

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:26 pm

Looks like all options were wrong.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:39 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:26 pm Looks like all options were wrong.
#3 is correct in a broad sense. I like it because that was my pick.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:48 pm

:lol: :lol:
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:04 pm

I closed the original poll.

albaby
Junior

Post by albaby » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:41 pm

devildawg3010 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:45 am I have no faith in Bamford, he should also be fired as well. Why would he extend the contract after 1 year. What did McCall do to justify this ext after 1 year? Bamford is a problem and imo a bum. I hate the idea of this guy finding us a new coach. I hope that UMass cleans up the the athletic department and it starts with firing Bamford.
I totally agree, Bamford is a complete a$$ and should also be fired. Why make the firing now, why not wait til the season is over? Bamford is way over his head and I sure don't want him to hire the next basketball coach. DK and McCall did and wll live a life of leisure for one year, thanks to the bumbling fool who is running our athletic department.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:29 pm

albaby wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:41 pm
devildawg3010 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:45 am I have no faith in Bamford, he should also be fired as well. Why would he extend the contract after 1 year. What did McCall do to justify this ext after 1 year? Bamford is a problem and imo a bum. I hate the idea of this guy finding us a new coach. I hope that UMass cleans up the the athletic department and it starts with firing Bamford.
I totally agree, Bamford is a complete a$$ and should also be fired. Why make the firing now, why not wait til the season is over? Bamford is way over his head and I sure don't want him to hire the next basketball coach. DK and McCall did and wll live a life of leisure for one year, thanks to the bumbling fool who is running our athletic department.
Bamford hired Carvel and for that reason alone I’ll keep Bam for a long time. Only Division 1 men’s National championship we’ve ever won. FCS National championship doesn’t really count.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:00 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:29 pm
albaby wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:41 pm
Bamford hired Carvel and for that reason alone I’ll keep Bam for a long time. Only Division 1 men’s National championship we’ve ever won. FCS National championship doesn’t really count.
FCS counts.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:46 pm

FCS counts and our friend Dennis Dent took us to a bowl game in like '76, when there were not many bowls. I forget what it was but I was just a kid. I do remember it though.
Refuse To Lose!!!

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:10 am

"Bammy Bam"? Puke..... You are better than that DoctorJ

I have said this a few times and I will say it once more - Start treating this like a goddam business. Stop worrying about feelings and nostalgia and a coach who wants to be here for the next 20 years. UMass is going to be successful the minute they realize that Umass is a stepping stone job and hire coaches accordingly. That is not a slight on Umass and should not be taken that way. Until UMass is in a P5 they are a stepping stone job - PERIOD. Stop pretending you are better than that (at this point) and embrace it - once you have come to terms with your place in the landscape (that goes for fans and administration), it really does make it easier to find what you are looking for.

- Bamford is a money raiser not a talent acquirer - let a small group of qualified individuals do the coach search.
- Umass is going to have to pay up if they want anyone worth getting. Stop hiring mid managers to run the organization and start hiring CEO's
- Stop worrying about UMass' education ranking as a selling point - if Umass really wants to be relevant again in basketball, they need kids who are coming here with aspirations of, and ability to, play for a pro paycheck after college. We want good kids at Umass, we want smart kids at Umass - but most kids that are looking for a pro check are not prioritizing the academic stature of Umass as the reason to come here.

DJ is 100% correct, they are going to have to open up the checkbook here if they are truly serious about this. Straight out tell everyone in the job posting you are paying $1.5m per year with another $500K for every NCAA Appearance and $250K for every NIT and see what kind of interest you get. The alternative is to continue watching Fordham run your ass out of the gym twice per year.... every year.

albaby
Junior

Post by albaby » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:57 am

eldonabe wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:10 am "Bammy Bam"? Puke..... You are better than that DoctorJ

I have said this a few times and I will say it once more - Start treating this like a goddam business. Stop worrying about feelings and nostalgia and a coach who wants to be here for the next 20 years. UMass is going to be successful the minute they realize that Umass is a stepping stone job and hire coaches accordingly. That is not a slight on Umass and should not be taken that way. Until UMass is in a P5 they are a stepping stone job - PERIOD. Stop pretending you are better than that (at this point) and embrace it - once you have come to terms with your place in the landscape (that goes for fans and administration), it really does make it easier to find what you are looking for.

- Bamford is a money raiser not a talent acquirer - let a small group of qualified individuals do the coach search.
- Umass is going to have to pay up if they want anyone worth getting. Stop hiring mid managers to run the organization and start hiring CEO's
- Stop worrying about UMass' education ranking as a selling point - if Umass really wants to be relevant again in basketball, they need kids who are coming here with aspirations of, and ability to, play for a pro paycheck after college. We want good kids at Umass, we want smart kids at Umass - but most kids that are looking for a pro check are not prioritizing the academic stature of Umass as the reason to come here.

DJ is 100% correct, they are going to have to open up the checkbook here if they are truly serious about this. Straight out tell everyone in the job posting you are paying $1.5m per year with another $500K for every NCAA Appearance and $250K for every NIT and see what kind of interest you get. The alternative is to continue watching Fordham run your ass out of the gym twice per year.... every year.
Since when is the athletic directors job solely a fund raiser? What the hell is the alumni associations job? The athletic directors job is overseeing the athletic department which includes scheduling, facilities management, transportation, A10 reoresentative, NCAA compliance, etc., and yes, hiring and FIRING of coaches.

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:12 pm

Post Cal, who was the coach who had the most success from the time he started until he left? IMHO it was Ford.

What was Ford's experience prior to getting the UMass job? He took a bad Eastern Kentucky team and got them to the dance.

All of our post Cal hires were either assistant coaches with no head coaching experience, or in the case of Lappas, a retread from a power conference. None of those have worked for us.

My point? Go after a coach who has head experience, and has preferrably gotten a team to the dance.

Simple right? :)
Word to your motha!

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:18 pm

McCall went to the tournament as a head coach. I think it's a bit more nuanced than that to separate luck from skill. It's possible those hot-shots are hot commodities with little substance to back up their valuation.
Last edited by McKinney on Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:20 pm

McKinney wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:18 pm McCall went to the tournament as a head coach. I think it's a bit more nuanced than that to separate luck from skill. A lot of those hot-shots are hot commodities with little substance to back up their valuation.
Oops my bad!
Word to your motha!