If McCall is relieved of his duties

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

When?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:52 am

The same day they lose final game of season
49%
By the end of Day - Selection Sunday
15%
Before the tourney starts (Thursday Games not play in)
24%
He keeps his job
12%

Total votes: 41

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

If McCall is relieved of his duties

Post by eldonabe » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:52 am

It seems fairly likely that MM will not be back next year. How long after they get bounced from the A-10 Tourney will it take to get the announcement?

As I recall, the players did not even make it to the showers after the last game for DK - I don't think it will be quite that fast this time. I think it will be on Monday 3/14.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: If McCall is relieved of his duties

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:57 am

The day after they lose in the A10 Tournament. Bamford won't do McCall dirty by canning him in the locker room after the game, but I can't envision it going all the way into the next week if they lose on Thursday or Friday.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:04 am

^ Agreed on next day. Do it with dignity, but no reason at all to drag it out. We gain nothing & options narrow by letting it drag out.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:23 am

Bamford has a history of being pretty quick on the draw. If he's gone, I agree it will be the day after their last game.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:06 pm

Bruiser was essentially fired when Nascar Bob came down the elevator at the hotel in Philly where we were having a post-game toast (or two) to the season just completed. We had beaten Bona and St. Joe's and lost to Temple in the final.

Marcum got off the elevator and headed straight for the door (and the airport), never glancing to either side. I believe that he was upset because we hadn't been bounced from the tourney earlier. He was firing a coach whose A-10 record that year was 11-5 and made the tourney final. I happened to be standing right near the elevator, and that moment has stuck with me.

I know that I have told that story here before, and I believe still that Bru was screwed. I also know that many others here will disagree.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:07 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:57 am The day after they lose in the A10 Tournament. Bamford won't do McCall dirty by canning him in the locker room after the game, but I can't envision it going all the way into the next week if they lose on Thursday or Friday.
Unless you're calling him a liar, Bamford says he fired Kellogg right after the game so that Kellogg could say his goodbyes to the players. It wasn't him doing Kellogg "dirty".

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:30 pm

NilesGold wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:07 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:57 am The day after they lose in the A10 Tournament. Bamford won't do McCall dirty by canning him in the locker room after the game, but I can't envision it going all the way into the next week if they lose on Thursday or Friday.
Unless you're calling him a liar, Bamford says he fired Kellogg right after the game so that Kellogg could say his goodbyes to the players. It wasn't him doing Kellogg "dirty".
From Nicole Kellogg interview with Jeff Pearlman:

“I can pretend it didn’t hurt us,” said Nicole. “But it hurt us terribly. UMass was very personal for us. It was our entire life, to be honest. Ninety percent of our closest friends are affiliated with UMass. To be fired, and fired in the manner he was . . . there was very little respect shown for a man who was a former student-athlete and who loves that university. It was hard.”
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:47 pm

I'm ok with us having different opinions on this sort of firing.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:43 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:30 pm From Nicole Kellogg interview with Jeff Pearlman:

“I can pretend it didn’t hurt us,” said Nicole. “But it hurt us terribly. UMass was very personal for us. It was our entire life, to be honest. Ninety percent of our closest friends are affiliated with UMass. To be fired, and fired in the manner he was . . . there was very little respect shown for a man who was a former student-athlete and who loves that university. It was hard.”

While I certainly agree with the decision to fire him, it could have been done in a slightly more respectful manner.

Frankly I am less of a fan of Bamford than DK. I do not share that very much on this board but RB is a tool - that is just one example why I think that.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:57 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:47 pm

I'm ok with us having different opinions on this sort of firing.
At the time, Bamford stated that he fired Kellogg when he did as a courtesy of sorts - as I understand it immediately after the game all of the players were flying out to various locations, this was the only way for Kellogg to be able to say goodbye to the entire team as a group.

Maybe you're of the opinion that regardless of RB's motive and intent, this was a "dirty" move from Bamford? Idk, unless he's lying, it just seems like sour grapes.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:30 pm

eldonabe wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:52 am How long after they get bounced from the A-10 Tourney will it take to get the announcement?
What if they don't? 8)
Time to Win

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:36 pm

Floyd wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:30 pm
eldonabe wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:52 am How long after they get bounced from the A-10 Tourney will it take to get the announcement?
What if they don't? 8)
That’s the only result that can save McCall’s job.

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:16 pm

If Bamford can fire an alum, that as a player was a major part of the 90’s success and as a coach got this team to their first Tournament appearance since 1998 right after the final game then he certainly can and should dump a coach that’s 20+ games under .500 immediately after the final game

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:06 pm

Kelz626 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:16 pm If Bamford can fire an alum, that as a player was a major part of the 90’s success and as a coach got this team to their first Tournament appearance since 1998 right after the final game then he certainly can and should dump a coach that’s 20+ games under .500 immediately after the final game
This might be the final game. A total no show in the first half.

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:13 pm

69MG wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:06 pm
Kelz626 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:16 pm If Bamford can fire an alum, that as a player was a major part of the 90’s success and as a coach got this team to their first Tournament appearance since 1998 right after the final game then he certainly can and should dump a coach that’s 20+ games under .500 immediately after the final game
This might be the final game. A total no show in the first half.
That would be great if it happened