Coach Search 2022

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Re: Coach Search 2022

Post by NilesGold » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:24 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:46 pm My understanding is that Carvel reached out first.
Bamford didn't have to hire Carvel, no one made that decision for him. He could've picked someone else, but didn't.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:30 pm

NilesGold wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:24 pm
Bamford didn't have to hire Carvel, no one made that decision for him. He could've picked someone else, but didn't.
Agreed. He also didn't have to search for him. You asked why people think this way about Bamford, I'm giving you that reason why.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:32 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:03 pm
jrdupe wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:47 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:44 pm Update to the Mark Blaudschun tweet earlier:

https://twitter.com/CBB_Central/status/ ... EY2e_5r-LQ
do we believe this guy? seems like he just throws stuff against the wall and hopes it sticks? lets hope this is one that sticks...great hire IMO

Like I said in the first post about his tweet, take it with a small grain of salt.
Twitter is also saying that we have offered the job to Condoleezza Rice, so there's that... for those of you out there worried about the accuracy of twitter posts...
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:38 pm

^

Of course, there can be a lot of crap on twitter (same on here, as we've seen). Those tweets are at least coming from known names/accounts. As always, grain of salt with anything on the good ole WWW.

Blaudschun has pretty consistently just thrown shit against the wall regarding our search, starting with the Kimani Young stuff... now it seems like some more well known college bball people (like Adam Z) are responding, which I suspect means there's a bit more fire to the smoke.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Crank
Senior

Post by Crank » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:48 pm

Take it for what it's worth, but a Bonnie's beat writer is reporting that the university had declined to comment on the report of a Schmidt/UMass deal. Can't imagine a no comment would be the response if there wasn't at least something going on.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:53 pm

Matt Vautour also seems to think there is legitimacy in the news, though not done yet. Also said via the supposed cesspool known as Twitter.

https://twitter.com/MattVautour424/stat ... EY2e_5r-LQ

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:01 pm

Third times a charm for Blauds

go_gou
Sophomore

Post by go_gou » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:02 pm

kdogg8173 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:01 pm Third times a charm for Blauds
I mean if you throw enough shit against the wall one’s bound to stick eventually right? :lol: :lol: :lol:

chapter 11
Junior

Post by chapter 11 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:04 pm

Makes sense for Schmidt to keep his focus, and respect, on the guys that led him to the NIT semis. Arguably the final 4 in MSG is the pinnacle and the rest is house money. Possible that while he certainly wants to win it all, the team milestone was reached and he can now slightly open the door to leaks of his next step. I continue to be intrigued by Frank Martin though.

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:13 pm

I think there def. is some smoke here and I have to think the fact that Schmidt has no one coming back that got any kind of playing time this year has to be figuring in his thinking. I think the Bonnies take a huge step back next year and probably the next few...whereas with UMass he knows they have very good guards and should be in the top half of the league just with what he has here now...add in a couple recruits/portal guys along with his coaching ability and he should succeed here right out of the gate.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:30 pm

I'm sure the "bidding war" is coming from Olean to make it look like they didn't allow Schmidt to walk right out the door to another team in conference.

Schmidt doesn't seem like the kind of coach to play "the game". He easily could have parlayed his work in Olean to a bigger job and he hasn't. He doesn't have a social media presence. I don't think he'd go along with all this just to get more money out of St Bonnies. And I don't think he'd allow this narrative to get to this point if he was really committed to St Bonnies.

I think we need to look back to the beginning. Why did Bamford fire MM with 2 weeks left and then not hire someone early on in the cycle? The first rumor I saw was Bamford was trying to lure another A10 coach. MM and Schmidt sharing an agent is a massive detail in this. Overtures could have been sent years ago since Bamford obviously has a relationship with the agent. Schmidt could have many reasons for wanting to take the UMass job, and doubling his salary is a massive cherry on top.

I'll give Bamford a ton of credit if he pulls this off, but there's another school of thought that sees this as a dumpster fire burning out of control. Virginia giving the game away last night was huge, since there's a long time between now and next Tuesday (which Bonnnies will probably win and delay this thing again).

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:43 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:30 pm
NilesGold wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:24 pm
Agreed. He also didn't have to search for him. You asked why people think this way about Bamford, I'm giving you that reason why.
The problem is not just with this coach or that one or Bamford but a systemic issue at UMass. Thorr Bjorn was our acting AD and he was not good enough. Seems like Thorr is a good AD as their football and basketball programs have done well and had several good coaching hires. They got Archie Miller. The issue is not the AD but systemic issue here! Maybe you should be investigating and going after the people that hired Bamford they way you go after Bamford for hiring McCall.
Last edited by Steve81 on Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go UMass!!

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:46 pm

^^ that all makes sense. Knowing Bonnies could make a run in the NIT, seems there should've been a PR/media plan in place as everyone waits.

Only thing now is Bamford closes plan A on his timeline.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:55 pm

Steve81 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:43 pm
The problem is not just with this coach or that one or Bamford but a systemic issue at UMass. Thorr Bjorn was our acting AD and he was not good enough. Seems like Thorr is a good AD as their football and basketball programs have done well and had several good coaching hires. They got Archie Miller. The issue is not the AD but systemic issue here! Maybe you should be investigating and going after the people that hired Bamford they way you go after Bamford for hiring McCall.

Fully agree there are systemic issues here that hurt athletics and alumni relations. I've been saying that for over 20 years.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:14 pm

Steve81 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:43 pm Seems like Thorr is a good AD as their football and basketball programs have done well and had several good coaching hires.
Thorr just fired David Cox after having him in-house and promoting him. And running an FCS football program is not the same as running an FBS program.