Peter Trow

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
tom mclaughlin
Junior

Peter Trow

Post by tom mclaughlin » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:13 pm

I’ve posted several times about UMass Basketball being family and this morning one of our family passed away. Peter Trow was a Massachusetts kid who was a terrific athlete that played both basketball and football as a wide receiver on the Dick MacPhearson coached teams in the 70’s. He was the blue collar guy who came to practice every day and pushed his teammates to get better. He was also a high school track athlete who could literally run like the wind. In preseason conditioning he would run a 4:45 mile.
Peter was also a close friend and in fact he literally forced me to go talk to Debbie (my wife of over 40 years) and ask her out at a party on campus. Thank you Peter you helped change my life.
Peter was close friends with Jimmy Burke, Billy Endicott. Al Skinner and Rick Pitino. He played hard and in fact he was so competitive we went at each other and almost had a fight at practice. He was a tough competitor.
Peter you will be missed and thanks for being a great teammate. Any team Peter played on won - he was a winner his whole life. You gave it your all. May you RIP!

harbo
Hall of Fame

Re: Peter Trow

Post by harbo » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:27 pm

Sad news, Tom, but (as always) thanks for your thoughts.

From the stands, I was always impressed with his toughness. He gave his all and took no grief from anyone. I couldn't recite any stats about him and I don't feel that he would care if I could. He just came to play, and all his teammates knew they had his back.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:27 pm

Sorry to hear this. Thanks for letting us know.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:34 pm

^ Also sorry to hear of this. At 6'4 the guy was a tremendous athlete, hardnosed competitor who had some big shooting games for us. RIP!

tom mclaughlin
Junior

Post by tom mclaughlin » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:42 pm

I want the fans of UMass Basketball to know that during the day I’ve connected with many of the former players as well as Rita Leaman and Coach Pete Broaca. UMass truly does have a basketball family and to see guys like Jim Burke, Al Skinner, Billy Endicott, Charlie Peters, Rick Vogeley and all the others guys really feel deeply hurt that a teammate has passed says so much about the quality of people that played at UMass. We were truly a team and we care about one another and our families.
There aren’t many basketball programs in the country that have the closeness the former players at UMass have. Even after so many years we are still teammates for life. Jack Leaman was more than our coach he was a man that brought quality student athletes to Amherst and we have bonded for over 50 years and are still supporting one another. May Peter Trow RIP!
Last edited by tom mclaughlin on Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:59 pm

^ Well said.

Rest In Peace, Peter.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving