Attendance figures

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Re: Attendance figures

Post by DoctorJ » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:02 pm

fenway617 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:52 pm ^^^
Bamford has said multiple times it is not possible. In order to play in the cage they'd have to completely upgrade the technology for replays, game and shot clock devises the referees wear among other things.
Even if this is actually a binding constraint, they could do an annual exhibition or two there!!!

There is a shot clock ⏰ in the cage. Also a game clock ⏰. We televised games there TWICE under DK!!! All these can be overcome. For Christ sakes. We saw Northeastern play US at Cabot cage last year!!!

Let's ask for more concrete information from Bam Bam before we take such a bs excuse as gospel!!!
Refuse To Lose!!!

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:08 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:02 pm
Bamford has said multiple times it is not possible. In order to play in the cage they'd have to completely upgrade the technology for replays, game and shot clock devises the referees wear among other things.
Even if this is actually a binding constraint, they could do an annual exhibition or two there!!!

There is a shot clock ⏰ in the cage. Also a game clock ⏰. We televised games there TWICE under DK!!! All these can be overcome. For Christ sakes. We saw Northeastern play US at Cabot cage last year!!!

Let's ask for more concrete information from Bam Bam before we take such a bs excuse as gospel!!!
I wonder the condition of the floor. We don’t need a player getting hurt cause the floor hasn’t been used in 7 or 8 years
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:12 pm

They have practiced on it in the past few years when McCall told them they were not trying hard enough in practice to deserve the new facility.

Other sports use it all the time.
Refuse To Lose!!!

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:41 pm

That's a great idea. Please report back after your meeting with Ryan. Thanks.

bmc24
Junior

Post by bmc24 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:54 pm

This program needs Pitino… I’d say cal but he’s too young to come back. I watched Iona play Manhattan on Friday. Full court defensive pressure, forcing turnovers, playing connected on the offensive end… high IQ plays. He’s have us back in the dance in the first year.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:15 pm

Juice Stand wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:41 pm
That's a great idea. Please report back after your meeting with Ryan. Thanks.
Sarcasm detected... lol

I've emailed him in the past but he doesn't respond to this hoop fan, apparently. Hopefully others have better luck.
Refuse To Lose!!!

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:07 am

Amazing that this team beat Penn State and Rutgers yet the program is at it's lowest point since I don't even know when.

I've been a dedicated fan for about 10 years now. I don't make it to more than 2-3 in person a year, but I've made sure to watch every game the team plays, kept engaged on the off-court happenings, and overall have counted UMass basketball as my #1 fandom (and I closely follow all the Boston pro teams). I say all that because it's hard for me to wrap my head around how little I care about this years team.

The loss to Yale should have been more of an eye opener than it was at the time, but I chalked it up to Yale being a good team and UMass having an off night. The showing in Florida was very concerning, but I was still keeping hope alive that they could have a strong rest of the year and make the NIT. Northeastern was the nail in the coffin for me, and I've only watched a few minutes of the games since then.

My personal fandom doesn't matter, but judging by the attendance numbers and overall chatter on social media/the message board, apathy has taken over this program. It's sad that there's more excitement and optimism for the football team, the one coming off a pathetic decade of play, than the once proud basketball program.

I'm still a fan and look forward to getting some of that new coach optimism the football team has. But Bamford and McCall have killed UMass basketball, slowly but surely, since they took over. Bamford needs a guiding hand with this next hire, similar to what happened with Brown, because he's shown he can't be trusted to find the next guy by himself.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:30 am

One reason I think RB won't let MM go is that after letting Tony go, it won't look good. But if the rest of this season doesn't go well, something has to change.

There's obviously some recruiting issues, unless the philosophy is only the transfer portal, as we've seen no commitments. We need some real strong recruiting ties

This is my team, no matter what, but its been tough
Time to Win

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:51 am

Every wintersession home game should be at the Cage. Throw in one November/December game as well when the students are still on campus. Figure it out with the Mullins.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:33 am

Quann wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:51 am Every wintersession home game should be at the Cage. Throw in one November/December game as well when the students are still on campus. Figure it out with the Mullins.
There should be at least one game in Springfield. Maybe even Worcester. No one outside of Amherst even knows there is still a team playing in Amherst. (Obvious hyperbole). Seriously, the cage is not the answer. The answer should include a way to get fans to the Mullins center during winter session. I think the marketing team must’ve been where the cuts have been made during Covid, etc. There used to be a lot more out reach including allowing any local students from other colleges to attend for free, etc. winter session should be full of local youth teams, etc. in the crowd. The winter session games are the games that need the kitsch.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:04 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:33 am
Quann wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:51 am Every wintersession home game should be at the Cage. Throw in one November/December game as well when the students are still on campus. Figure it out with the Mullins.
There should be at least one game in Springfield. Maybe even Worcester. No one outside of Amherst even knows there is still a team playing in Amherst. (Obvious hyperbole). Seriously, the cage is not the answer. The answer should include a way to get fans to the Mullins center during winter session. I think the marketing team must’ve been where the cuts have been made during Covid, etc. There used to be a lot more out reach including allowing any local students from other colleges to attend for free, etc. winter session should be full of local youth teams, etc. in the crowd. The winter session games are the games that need the kitsch.
What is more embarrassing, 1600 that show up in Amherst, or if we play in Worcester and it's a crowd of 800? It is not like UMass fans are flooding the stands when they are at Northeastern... So I do not think the traveling road show will do anything, right now. Win and you become the state's team, loss and you become the University of Western Mass...

The marketing team is all new, not sure that buys them an excuse or not. It is not like they are coming in after Bill Veeck's promotional team.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:59 am

^ "The marketing team is all new, not sure that buys them an excuse or not. It is not like they are coming in after Bill Veeck's promotional team."

How many times have we suggested the Athletics Dept. work with the award winning ISOM and the Marketing studies dept., to develop and implement a workable plan for success?

Ditto re the AA, with which I had 6 years of experience 2001-2007 as your (fans) rep on the AA BOD.

I used to chat with Dean O'Brien about it. His response was always the same: "That's what we're here for, Ed."

I know for certain that the AA never approached ISOM about it those 6 years, but the well paid top AA admins and the Executive Board members (Officers+) continuously lied to the BOD members about it, @ BOD meetings, claiming they were actively working with ISOM. In addition to Dean O'Brien, department heads and profs I knew would tell me they had never been approached nor heard about any requests from the AA to work with them.

I cannot say for certain re Athletics, but I never heard of it happening either.

Imagine a cooperative effort between Athletics and the ISOM marketing program, including current athletes in the program.

I attended a class of marketing grad students @ ISOM not too many years ago. An alum came up with the idea and we were welcomed to attend.
One of the grad students was UMass QB Blake Frohnapfel... Masters of Business Administration and Sports Management degrees and boasts a 3.8 grade-point average.

We attended and were allowed to participate in discussions, quite a bit by me...

IMAGINE THAT...Alums and students sharing quality experiences and ideas.

We know that the AA has hit ROCK BOTTOM.'
Hopefully, Athletics will avoid that crash course.
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:12 am

PreecherJenkins wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:04 am
minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:33 am
What is more embarrassing, 1600 that show up in Amherst, or if we play in Worcester and it's a crowd of 800? It is not like UMass fans are flooding the stands when they are at Northeastern... So I do not think the traveling road show will do anything, right now. Win and you become the state's team, loss and you become the University of Western Mass...

The marketing team is all new, not sure that buys them an excuse or not. It is not like they are coming in after Bill Veeck's promotional team.
That’s why I said maybe... for Worcester. The idea of playing wintersession games in the cage is wrong IMO. The cage has been rightfully replaced by the Mullins center. Playing games at the cage is an admission that building the Mullins center was wrong. The Mullins center was planned before Cal got to town. It was/is the plan for hockey and hoops to play there. If the marketing team is new and needs guidance, thats’ what the AD gets paid the big bucks for, IMO. There is a serious lack of advertising and outreach to the Amherst community, nevermind western MA or the state. When you hold games in places like Springfield or Worcester give way tickets to kids leagues. There are more kids in one neighborhood in those cities than all of Amherst. There needs to be a concerted effort to get fans, especially when the team is not doing well. It seems as though getting fans in the stands is not an important aspect of the program.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:31 am

Agree 1000% minutefanjsf. The Cage had its day, with great memories of early UMass teams. Lets expand the program and build on the Mullins and Champions Center

If there is any film/highlights of those old games, it would be great to see them played at halftime up on the board to educate new fans on the history of the program.
Time to Win

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:50 pm

The Cage appears to have some use for Track & xcountry.
https://www.theminutemenclub.com/capita ... cks-cage[i][/i]
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!