Games 17 & 18, 2021-22: Saint Louis (1/20 & 23)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 17, 2021-22: Saint Louis (1/20)

Post by Floyd » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:14 am

capezona wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:08 pm I personally never want them to lose for any reason.
Yup, me too. Its all about the players for me. Want them to win every game. But theres enough of a sample size to make a decision
The E sho, best show in town

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:58 am

bunkerhill87 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:08 am
Juice Stand wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:37 am I'm with Capezona on this one. I want to see wins, and the AD should evaluate the coach and direction of the program on McCall's entire 5-year tenure, not a sampling of the last dozen or so games.

As far as tonight's game is concerned, here's the Gazette preview: https://www.gazettenet.com/Two-games-ag ... l-44655210

Seems like McCall may see the writing on the wall. He's talking specifically about the players, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's thinking about his own coaching career as well, i.e. don't worry about the offseason, coach and play for today:
“Our basketball playing careers are not that long, and our careers at UMass are even shorter. Let's do everything we can to make sure that we're making the most out of each and every day, that we're playing the game unselfishly and playing it with great effort, we're enjoying the opportunity that we have to be at UMass and the opportunities to go out there and compete,” McCall said. “I think that our guys have had great attitudes.”
McCall always seems to have the right quote. He has enthusiasm, talks about basketball IQ and culture. too bad it has not translated to the court. I wish it had worked out better for him. wish him well lol

In DK’s last year he had a freshman manager who was doing some good research in analytics…similar to the stuff that NBA teams were using to try and gain an advantage over their opponents. It took awhile but DK and the staff were interested in having him do some work for them(at no cost) for the following year but they were let go. This manager spent the summer running analytic models for the College and Professional players that John Lucas worked with. When he came back for his sophomore year he was again a manager and he let MM and the staff know that he wanted to do for them what he did all summer but MM told him he wasn’t interested…one of his assistants tried to get him to reconsider but it didn’t work. He didn’t let that manager go but he never promoted him to a traveling manager when he was a junior and senior like is customary.

My opinion of his coaching/teaching/running a program has been the same since the end of his first year and what we see this year is just more of what I saw coming back then. I won’t go into specifics of what I saw that gave me this opinion but I have shared it with a couple people that read here as far back as his first year.
I do not blame him for the gamble he took with Tre and Tony…if it had worked out it, however small the chances were, it would have saved his job….he was in trouble then.

Also, at least one of his assistants tried to talk him out of taking 3 of the 4 transfers he took in the first 2 months they were on the job but he wasn’t listening and that was the start of where the program is as a whole right now.
I am not sharing these things now to pile on but, since I believe he will be let go this year, to give other insight to those who may be on the fence at this time.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:55 am

off-season here is my question, why was his contract extended after that first year? Also any update on what the young man who built those models is doing? If he is looking for work, he can come work for me...
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:45 am

PreecherJenkins wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:55 am off-season here is my question, why was his contract extended after that first year? Also any update on what the young man who built those models is doing? If he is looking for work, he can come work for me...
Don’t know why he was extended but someone posted it was part of the deal while they still had to pay DK.

I don’t know what that kid is doing but I believe he graduated with honors from the Sports Management school and got a job outside of sports.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:03 pm

Could that be our man Stats? Kid is brilliant
The E sho, best show in town

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:05 pm

I doubt that we will get 2,000 at the game tonight.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:20 pm

Re: the game. CJ is expected to play. I haven't seen anything regarding Linssen or Thatch for SLU. We're getting 3.5.

bobolink
Junior

Post by bobolink » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:57 pm

69MG wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:20 pm Re: the game. CJ is expected to play. I haven't seen anything regarding Linssen or Thatch for SLU. We're getting 3.5.
photo of their walk-through appears to have both SLU players in it, per tweet from West Pine Bills
@WestPineBills

albaby
Junior

Post by albaby » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:32 pm

Berkman wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:05 pm I doubt that we will get 2,000 at the game tonight.
Watched the Rhody game last night, on ESPN+, they seemed to have a decent crowd, in an arena that seems better than Mullins. Never been there, but the crowd was into the game and seemed to help the rams to victory over the explorers. What is the difference between RI and UMass?

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:36 pm

albaby wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:32 pm
Watched the Rhody game last night, on ESPN+, they seemed to have a decent crowd, in an arena that seems better than Mullins. Never been there, but the crowd was into the game and seemed to help the rams to victory over the explorers. What is the difference between RI and UMass?

Having been to URI multiple times, I don't think the Ryan Center is better than the Mullins, but it's smaller and thus a bit more intimate. They have also been better than we have over the last bunch of years and simply draw better. The RC is a good facility, though.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:40 pm

albaby wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:32 pm What is the difference between RI and UMass?
They are 12-4 (3-1 A10), we are 7-9 (0-4 A10). I can't be 100% certain, but if we had their record we would probably be getting 3,500-4,000 most games.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:50 pm

TheOFFSeason wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:58 am Also, at least one of his assistants tried to talk him out of taking 3 of the 4 transfers he took in the first 2 months they were on the job but he wasn’t listening and that was the start of where the program is as a whole right now.
I am not sharing these things now to pile on but, since I believe he will be let go this year, to give other insight to those who may be on the fence at this time.
Tough to know if we ever have the full picture when it comes to recruiting, but as I understood it at the time, McCall essentially passed on Kyle Lofton and let him go to Bona.

McCall is an interesting guy in that he talks a really good game, but when the lights are on in games, and when important decisions need to be made (like who to prioritize in recruiting), he just seems to get it wrong more often than he gets it right.

palm14
Freshman

Post by palm14 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:12 pm

TheOFFSeason wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:58 am In DK’s last year he had a freshman manager who was doing some good research in analytics…similar to the stuff that NBA teams were using to try and gain an advantage over their opponents. It took awhile but DK and the staff were interested in having him do some work for them(at no cost) for the following year but they were let go. This manager spent the summer running analytic models for the College and Professional players that John Lucas worked with. When he came back for his sophomore year he was again a manager and he let MM and the staff know that he wanted to do for them what he did all summer but MM told him he wasn’t interested…one of his assistants tried to get him to reconsider but it didn’t work. He didn’t let that manager go but he never promoted him to a traveling manager when he was a junior and senior like is customary.
Finally some truth coming out. This would’ve been helpful a few years ago…

Nothing from the DK era was to stay. Kelsey took the job because of Jarreau, Gresham, and Pipkins as well as pieces like Holloway. Meetings with the players went well, and while we will never know for sure, every guy was leaning towards staying at UMass. Kelsey was told at lunch hours before his press conference that any and all DK players were to be “guided out” as soon as possible. He said ‘f that’ and went back to Winthrop.

McCall was more than willing to be a yes man. Bell was too. It’s harder to clear out a football roster but look at the short leash Whipple’s players were on under Bell. Someone wanted to make sure McCall and Bell got ALL the credit when they succeeded. So much for that.

If this student analyst started under DK it’s no surprise he wasn’t treated with respect.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:20 pm

Oh boy.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:38 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:55 am off-season here is my question, why was his contract extended after that first year? Also any update on what the young man who built those models is doing? If he is looking for work, he can come work for me...
He works for Tokyo marine