McCall's 22-23 Buyout

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
PreecherJenkins
Senior

McCall's 22-23 Buyout

Post by PreecherJenkins » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:36 am

So not sure we discussed this on the board, but McCall last year buyout is quite high. I am sure Walt's agent wishes he did this well.

22-23 salary 800k
buyout if fired by March 28, 2022
$785,000

If anyone wants a copy of the deal dm me your email.

love you guys,

preecher
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Re: McCall's 22-23 Buyout

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:14 pm

Don't need a copy, I'll take your word for it
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:51 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:36 am So not sure we discussed this on the board, but McCall last year buyout is quite high. I am sure Walt's agent wishes he did this well.

22-23 salary 800k
buyout if fired by March 28, 2022
$785,000

If anyone wants a copy of the deal dm me your email.

love you guys,

preecher
What would the buyout be if they wait until after March 28th?

Uminuteman
Senior

Post by Uminuteman » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:47 pm

Is there an offset provision if he gets another job? That worked out quite well with Bell.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:50 pm

Uminuteman wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:47 pm Is there an offset provision if he gets another job? That worked out quite well with Bell.

Considering that was built into DK's contract, I suspect it's in this one too and likely standard with any contract UMass does for these roles.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:13 pm

Even if there is an offset (I assume there is), where is McCall going to get a $800k job?

That's the absolute tippy-top of college assistant pay, like either highest paid, second-highest paid, somewhere in there.
Maybe Billy Donovan will give him a job, but probably not for $800k.
Maybe he'd go back to a low-major for like $200k (if they don't pull an LIU + DK).

Either way, UMass is likely on the hook for a lot of dough.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:31 pm

But what else you do if you're not going to extend him? Can't really have someone in the last year of a deal, without expectation to continue on. Totally kill any recruiting
Time to Win

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:55 pm

Floyd wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:31 pm But what else you do if you're not going to extend him? Can't really have someone in the last year of a deal, without expectation to continue on. Totally kill any recruiting
Exactly you absolutely aren’t going to extend him so you have to eat the buyout. If two separate times football donors came up with the buyout money for Molnar and Bell I’d have to think basketball donors could buy out 1 year of McCall if the university truly couldn’t swing it.

I guess technically from a budget standpoint you could have McCall coach out his final year next year. Buttrick, Rich Kelly and Steadman are the only departures on an overcrowded roster so you could add a couple transfers and play it out. But honestly I think $800k is too little of an amount to: 1. Seriously set this program back even further and 2. Seriously piss off a lot of fans, alumni and boosters

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:01 pm

Yup. They've gotta do it & hope he lands something decent to offset the buyout.

Given he's in Lappas territory for winning % while having a rotating staff, he's really been treated with kid gloves. I remember the venom unleashed on Lappas around here. The campaigns against DK were markedly vocal, as well. Not sure if it's apathy, or something else entirely.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:14 pm

DanaDingle3 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:01 pm Yup. They've gotta do it & hope he lands something decent to offset the buyout.

Given he's in Lappas territory for winning % while having a rotating staff, he's really been treated with kid gloves. I remember the venom unleashed on Lappas around here. The campaigns against DK were markedly vocal, as well. Not sure if it's apathy, or something else entirely.
It is 100% apathy around here, evident by the crowds...
NO
ONE
CARES

outside the message board ppl :)

It is a full-year salary after March 28th. I just cannot believe Bamford got taken to the bank so badly after one season. Unless the original contract changed, the MOU stated it was 50% the final year like DK. Yes, like DK and Walt there is off set language, but what is this guy going to get paid. He is not getting a better job. My spies told me he wanted to go to jacksonville this spring, but they cannot afford 750k to 500k buyout of his UMass deal.

Bamford is 100% to blame for this, there was no need to extend him after year one, and to give him a full guaranteed contract unreal.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:33 pm

DanaDingle3 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:01 pm Yup. They've gotta do it & hope he lands something decent to offset the buyout.

#maction 🚩#flagship

Umass_Minuteman
Sophomore

Post by Umass_Minuteman » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:16 pm

this thread underscores why ryan bamford needs to be fired. he cant get a coach that can win in the two major sports. this thread also underscores the fact that umass basketball is not good yet we continue to miss out on the mac and cusa to protect it.
UConn 59
UMass 61

December 9, 2004
William D. Mullins Center
University of Massachusetts
9,043 on hand (myself included)

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:53 pm

Umass_Minuteman wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:16 pm this thread underscores why ryan bamford needs to be fired. he cant get a coach that can win in the two major sports. this thread also underscores the fact that umass basketball is not good yet we continue to miss out on the mac and cusa to protect it.
Unfortunately with his contract extension Bamford isn’t going anywhere even though he should be. This is going to be a huge decision because I don’t think there’s a Don Brown to fall into his lap for basketball or someone the donors and alumni will push him towards. How he ended up hiring Bell and McCall is a major concern for his ability to judge coaches but hopefully he’ll learn from that and make the right hire otherwise we’re only gonna drift further from relevancy. Also I 100% agree we definitely should’ve made a play to join the MAC or CUSA as a full member. We’d easily have the best facilities and could “buy” basketball championships by getting the best players because of our facilities

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:23 pm

McKinney wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:13 pm Even if there is an offset (I assume there is), where is McCall going to get a $800k job?

That's the absolute tippy-top of college assistant pay, like either highest paid, second-highest paid, somewhere in there.
Maybe Billy Donovan will give him a job, but probably not for $800k.
Maybe he'd go back to a low-major for like $200k (if they don't pull an LIU + DK).

Either way, UMass is likely on the hook for a lot of dough.
800k is lower middle tier pay for the A10. English gets 200k more guaranteed and an additional 200k in incentives.

palm14
Sophomore

Post by palm14 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:47 pm

Thank you. This crap has been going on for too many years. Walt freakin Bell gets treated better than DK. It's wrong on so many levels. People in this thread are talking about alumni opening the checkbooks. The "big wigs" would be glad to pay for sacking McCall. If Bamford left too the checkbooks might open wide enough to build a new campus. Most have kept quiet for the good of the school but some big boosters and alumni are still pissed at how DK was fired and things that have gone on behind the scenes with McCall.

McCall has been UMass HC wayyyyyyy longer than he should have been. Different rosters, different roster constructions, different assistants, numerous "resets," the (sketchy) Bergeron/Mitchell addition, and for the most part, the full backing of 99% of the fanbase up until maybe late last season.

What's come of it? Not a sniff of a postseason invite, lower attendance, the loss of an organized student section, a drop in general fan interest, transfer after transfer, and "Lappas Era" numbers. That includes a few seasons that were by far our worst ever according to KenPom, which started in 2001.

But you still have people throwing out DK stuff to distract from the trash that is the McCall Era. We're been to 2 NCAA Tournaments outside the Cal Era and DK got us to one of those. We went to an NIT Final Four and had a dedicated, united core of guys led by Chaz (who should have his number retired). I know times have changed but we didn't have guys transferring left and right. Chaz was even tempted by NBA dreams but decided to stay because of unfinished business. DK helped start the Mullins Militia and got the Champions Center built. When it clicked - which, yes, it too often didn't - we played an exciting brand of basketball. We had exciting games in Springfield and at the Garden. We kicked BC's ass so bad they still won't play us. We got up to #12 in the country at one point.

Was DK a great in-game coach? No. Was it time to go? Probably. Although he should have gotten his final contract year to see what he could do with the NOLA duo. Until McCall gets anywhere close to those accomplishments I mentioned above, I don't want to hear about DK unless it's people admitting maybe that era wasn't so bad and this fanbase has treated a proud UMass alumni like shit for the past six years.

Don Brown has injected passion into perhaps the most hopeless program in college sports. You've got people counting that days until Tulane because they think we're going to go to New Orleans and win. Call that delusional but it's a damn good feeling. It's time to be aggressive. Enough of McCall. For all his faults, Bamford has a chance to turn this ship around. Let's head into next August with Brown, Carvel, Verdi, and a new men's hoops coach. It could be the start of a special era for UMass.