McCall's 22-23 Buyout

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
stevemaz
Senior

Re: McCall's 22-23 Buyout

Post by stevemaz » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:49 am

It is time to make a splash!!

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:17 am

Preacher

Google UMass Amherst Endowment 2020

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:15 am

bmc24 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:15 pm Pitino would be an instant smash. Maybe he’s old enough where it makes sense to make good. That said, Iona is probably a better program at the moment so it would need to be a good pitch. Confident in our AD?
when Pitino took over for Iona they were not a better program...HE made them better and he'd do it here too. His salary is 1.1 million and at this point in his career he doesn't need to get paid 8 million a year...pretty sure he wouldn't come here but who thought he'd go to Iona. Make the guy an offer of 2 million and I guarantee he'll make you that money back in the 1st year.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:23 am

PreecherJenkins wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:29 am
69MG wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:47 pm ^ Don't forget that MM wasn't the first choice (maybe not in the top 10). He was an emergency hire when Kelsey backed out. It was getting late and maybe we jumped the gun instead of doing a more thorough search. MM got the job because Billy Donovan put in a good word for him.
69, he has been here for five years, he got the job, they do not ask you why you got the job, they ask how you have done in the job, and MM has done a horrible job.
I think you missed my point. I agree he has done a horrible job. I was responding to "Can we get a better coach?". I was implying that we could have gotten a better coach if we didn't panic and do a rush hire on MM when Kelsey backed out. There aren't many MM defenders out there any more.

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:20 pm

Pitino would have a huge impact both on and off the floor. He is a natural salesman, an alum, and have the track record of success. He'd be able to immediately get higher impact recruits, improve ticket sales, scheduling, marketing, and give the program an instant bump in local and national attention. But the financial cost would be high, probably higher than UMass can afford currently and he does come with baggage. But he'd have to be interested in coming to UMass and vice-versa with Bamford wanting him. As an alum you'd think he jump at the chance if it financially fits. It is also a step up in conference, a beautiful practice facility, and a chance to rebuild a team.

Unlikely it will happen but I don't think it's completely out of the question.
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:26 pm

69MG wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:23 am I think you missed my point. I agree he has done a horrible job. I was responding to "Can we get a better coach?". I was implying that we could have gotten a better coach if we didn't panic and do a rush hire on MM when Kelsey backed out. There aren't many MM defenders out there any more.
69 is correct. The circumstances around McCall's hiring were unfortunate, but A) it doesn't absolve Bamford or McCall, and B) it's not a reflection of what caliber of coach UMass should be able to hire.

Assuming UMass can offer up a yearly salary of at least $700k, that puts them well above the majority of other D1 programs. The facilities are still good, and the conference is still a step above other MM leagues (all of which are 1-bid leagues 99% of the time).

With the transfer portal, it should theoretically be far easier for good coaches to rebuild a program, and any new coach would have a good shot at retaining some of the talent that's likely here at least in part because of the school and not the coach (looking at Fernandes & Weeks in particular).

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:38 pm

69MG wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:23 am
PreecherJenkins wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:29 am
69MG wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:47 pm ^ Don't forget that MM wasn't the first choice (maybe not in the top 10). He was an emergency hire when Kelsey backed out. It was getting late and maybe we jumped the gun instead of doing a more thorough search. MM got the job because Billy Donovan put in a good word for him.
69, he has been here for five years, he got the job, they do not ask you why you got the job, they ask how you have done in the job, and MM has done a horrible job.
I think you missed my point. I agree he has done a horrible job. I was responding to "Can we get a better coach?". I was implying that we could have gotten a better coach if we didn't panic and do a rush hire on MM when Kelsey backed out. There aren't many MM defenders out there any more.
Fair... Not sure we hit the panic button with McCall. From Dear Leader Bamford March 2016. I know this is what he is supposed to say but still

“Matt is a rising star in college basketball coaching who has been a key piece of three successful programs in his career,” said Bamford in a statement. “He has earned a reputation as a relentless worker, a great teammate and colleague and a confident leader of young men. Matt has worked with some of the most respected coaches and administrators in the country, who loudly sing his praises. Coach McCall’s appointment begins an exciting new chapter for our tradition-rich men’s basketball program at UMass.”
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:47 pm

Not to beat a dead horse, but I do think it was somewhat of a panic hire. Kelsey backed out on 3/23 and they announced the MM hiring on 3/29. That's not much of a window for a comprehensive search especially when MM wasn't on the original list of possible candidates.

bobolink
Senior

Post by bobolink » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:30 pm

NilesGold wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:26 pm
69MG wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:23 am I think you missed my point. I agree he has done a horrible job. I was responding to "Can we get a better coach?". I was implying that we could have gotten a better coach if we didn't panic and do a rush hire on MM when Kelsey backed out. There aren't many MM defenders out there any more.
69 is correct. The circumstances around McCall's hiring were unfortunate, but A) it doesn't absolve Bamford or McCall, and B) it's not a reflection of what caliber of coach UMass should be able to hire.

Assuming UMass can offer up a yearly salary of at least $700k, that puts them well above the majority of other D1 programs. The facilities are still good, and the conference is still a step above other MM leagues (all of which are 1-bid leagues 99% of the time).

With the transfer portal, it should theoretically be far easier for good coaches to rebuild a program, and any new coach would have a good shot at retaining some of the talent that's likely here at least in part because of the school and not the coach (looking at Fernandes & Weeks in particular).
Hate that we're talking about next year and beyond 2 games into the A10 season, but that's where we are. Expanding on Niles' point, we could hope Weeks and perhaps other players stay because of the school, and may be senior enough to only have 1 year eligible elsewhere, making them less attractive if they go to the portal. I think a big factor could be that players can now transfer once and be immediately eligible, but need a waiver if they transfer twice. A coaching change might get them a waiver, but waivers will supposedly become harder to get from now on. So players who came via transfer (Noah, CJ, Greg Jones, DIbaji if he wants to and can play another year), could be somewhat locked in.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:18 pm

I don’t like Pitino personally at all. However, if he was hired we would be in the NCAA within 2 years and he would make an immediate effect on attendance and enthusiasm with the program. I don’t think it would be unreasonable to think he would come here. We could match the Iona package and, I think, he would consider it as coming first circle to where he started. The conference is much much better as are the facilities. He just beat (at the time) Alabama. I never thought I eojkd want him because, in my opinion, his selfish and disingenuous ways, but I am so sick of where our program has been, I think he would be a home run hire.
Also at 70 or so years old, he is probably here for the long term if we can get him.

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:52 pm

Would love to see us play Kentucky if that happened. What a turn of events that would be....
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:33 pm

vanmeter wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:17 am Preacher

I did that looks like the full system number.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:17 pm

UMass'96 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:52 pm Would love to see us play Kentucky if that happened. What a turn of events that would be....
I don't know if I could ever look at Rick the way I do Cal but I'm sick of losing and trying to find the next Cal, so much I'd take Rick as HC.
Refuse To Lose!!!

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:48 am

PreecherJenkins wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:33 pm
vanmeter wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:17 am Preacher

I did that looks like the full system number.
It is. As THE University of Massachusetts, the Amherst campus gets 40% of the total endowment (which was $368m in 2020). The medical school gets 25%, and the rest is split between the other 3 campuses and the president's office for system wide endeavors.

System wide, the endowment actually went up to $1.2b in 2021, and the flagship's endowment increased to $494m.
#maction 🚩#flagship

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:26 am

bobolink wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:30 pm I think a big factor could be that players can now transfer once and be immediately eligible, but need a waiver if they transfer twice. A coaching change might get them a waiver, but waivers will supposedly become harder to get from now on.
Are we sure that waivers exist anymore, at all?