2022-23 Schedule

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Re: 2022-23 Schedule

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:39 pm

And box out
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

BR72
Junior

Post by BR72 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:59 am

I completely understand why the non-con schedule is what it is but I do think it virtually eliminates any chance of an at large NCAA bid, recognizing that would have been a stretch in any case. I guess winning out at Myrtle Beach and then finishing second in the A10 might do it, depending on how good the Myrtle Beach teams turn out to be, but I doubt it.

There is no one to blame and I’m still very optimistic both about the future of the program and the coming season but just a little disappointed that one of our goals may be less realistic than some may have hoped this season. OTOH, maybe they win the A10 and it’s a moot point.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:07 am

The talent level has been upgraded a lot, the staff is much more proven and experienced, there's way more depth, and the OOC schedule should allow more Ws. Its finding the combinations and developing the chemistry early that will determine how the wins total up. No doubt that Frank Martin will have the team ready if they all buy in to the team. Looking firward to this new era
Time to Win

diplomat
Junior

Post by diplomat » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:41 pm

Pretty good feeling about this team. The bench we put out could probably beat our starting 5 in past years.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:11 pm

^ A word of caution on early expectations, Curb your enthusiasm or pump the brakes a little. A LOT of people here and on Twitter were thinking 5,6 or even 7 wins under Don Brown and our first game was a bust! Gotta keep your sanity about our basketball expectations at least for this year!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:27 pm

tdmass wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:11 pm ^ A word of caution on early expectations, Curb your enthusiasm or pump the brakes a little. A LOT of people here and on Twitter were thinking 5,6 or even 7 wins under Don Brown and our first game was a bust! Gotta keep your sanity about our basketball expectations at least for this year!
Football still can get 5 wins with the schedule they have. Probably won’t, likely 3 wins, I don’t think anyone expected them to win either of these first two games. StonyBrook, NMSU are likely wins. UConn could be a win. Temple, eastern Michigan, Arkansas State, and Buffalo should all be competitive and could be toss ups. All seven of those teams are no where near Tulane or Toledo. A&M, Liberty will be blowouts. Army is a wildcard IMO, to be competitive. It is a home game and we played them well last year. With all that said, I still think 3 wins is where they finish. If they win three and have four blow outs and five competitive losses, that is vast improvement from the last few years.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:28 pm

Maybe we get a good closed scrimmage opponent to prepare for that pre-season tournament. DK used Drexel in past when Bruiser was there. Trying to think of a team in the region where our current staff has connections.

I'm hoping the exhibition game is something more constructive than Westfield State D3.

Beating Colorado at a neutral site would be big help from a rating and SOS perspective.
Refuse To Lose!!!

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:33 am

I've seen UConn and they're way ahead of us at this stage of the season and they lost they're starting QB & #1 WR early in the first game!

"Football still can get 5 wins with the schedule they have. Probably won’t, likely 3 wins, I don’t think anyone expected them to win either of these first two games. StonyBrook, NMSU are likely wins. UConn could be a win. Temple, eastern Michigan, Arkansas State, and Buffalo should all be competitive and could be toss ups. All seven of those teams are no where near Tulane or Toledo. A&M, Liberty will be blowouts. Army is a wildcard IMO, to be competitive. It is a home game and we played them well last year. With all that said, I still think 3 wins is where they finish. If they win three and have four blow outs and five competitive losses, that is vast improvement from the last few years."

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:08 am

Hey guys - this is the basketball message board.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:02 am

Transitioning from FB to BB. They are absolutely unrelated but after watching that performance on Saturday I have to admit that I'm more concerned with BB than I was before. Is this totally illogical?

We do not have an easy schedule to start the season, especially with so many new players and Frank trying to figure out rotations. Yes, we should beat CCSU, but it gets a lot tougher after that. Towson has already been discussed and they are no pushover.

In the Myrtle beach tourney, Colorado is very good and has a PAC-10 player of the year candidate in da Silva. If we manage to beat them we probably play Texas A&M, who is loaded. They play Murray State in round 1, who was 31-3 last year.

Murray State saw their coach get the job at LSU and most of their roster hit the road. They lost 10 of their 11 top scorers. The guy that returned was a 6 and 6 guy last year. If we lose to Colorado we play them and we certainly stand a chance.

No idea who we play in game 3, there are way too many variables. So after 5 games we might be anywhere from 4-1 to 1-4. I'll be happy with 3-2 and thrilled with 4-1.

It gets easier after that. Games 6-10 are all winnable.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:33 am

69: new coach, new roster, there will be tough days early on where guys aren't in sync. I especially believe it will be difficult early because defense is about communication, cohesion, etc and that takes time. My expectation for this season is to stumble early, get some experience and learn who this team is, and then be one of the tougher A10 teams come February. If we have some tough losses in November/December, I'm not panicking because it takes time when you're starting over, but that progression should be quicker then a typical rebuild because of the talent Martin brought in.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:22 pm

Agree with 69 and Mike but with my maroon blinders on, I'm thinking 3-2 by the end of Myrtle Beach and then 6-1 (gulp) for the rest of ooc play.

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:42 pm

Agree with folks who are urging caution in year one. The roster is very talented but Frank's defense takes time to learn and I'd expect this group to be much better in March than in November or December. The Myrtle games will all be tough, Towson with everyone back is a VERY tough second game. They're physical as hell and very experienced. Plus, Skerry is a MA guy and will want to perform well in his homecoming to the state. At Harvard, North Texas in Springfield and at USF (which brings in an entirely new and pretty talented roster in an attempt to save Brian Gregory's job) will all be tricky. Hofstra in Brooklyn won't be easy either. They won a lot of games. That said, there's really no game on the schedule that's an automatic loss. A&M may be close to it if we play them but other than that we have the talent to compete with everyone we play. How soon things click is the real question right now. Could be 10-2 or 6-6. I'm hoping for 8-4 but unless they're below .500 I won't call the non conference a disappointment.

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:55 pm

diplomat wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:41 pm Pretty good feeling about this team. The bench we put out could probably beat our starting 5 in past years.
Your pessimism has no place here.

:lol:
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:55 am