Game 4, 2021-22: vs Weber State (11/18)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
R&G
Junior

Re: Game 4, 2021-22: vs Weber State (11/18)

Post by R&G » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:10 am

Kelz626 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:18 pm
Floyd wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:10 pm If the offense is basically taking the lowest percentage shot all game, most nights will be on the short end. Its like theres a wall at the old 3 pt line and we cant penetrate it
McCall needs to have a better offensive strategy than to hope we have a good shooting night or he’ll be done at the end of the season.
These quotes pretty much sum up what I see when I watch this team on offense. The games seem to come done to luck from the 3 pt line rather than scheme, hustle, athleticism, strategy, taking advantage of mismatches or basketball IQ. To me, it makes the whole experience of watching these games and rooting for this team unbelievably boring.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:14 am

While there are a few more sets/options run out of it, the offense is almost identical to what DK after the Vance experiment. Not great...
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:48 am

pk77 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:00 am
DanaDingle3 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:57 pm Unbelievable how Weber came out of halftime with adjustments and executed over and over again while we did same old same old, and... game over.

I think we've seen enough of McCall. You can pick a guy off the street to go 48-67 with UMass' budget. What's maybe more astounding is how Bamford merited an extension and raise with the way football and basketball have looked.

I'm already close to checking out this year. Year 5, first two games away from home ugly losses to Yale and Weber St. Big pile of poop.
You hit the nail on the head, again we get out coached, one team makes adjustment at half and the other does not !!! Basketball and football teams should not be getting blown out of games. I would also like to know how Bamford got an extension . Who the hell scheduled us into this tournament..... my high school gym is bigger than where they played and they still could not fill the gym !! Is this how a coach who has been in place for 5 years builds a program !!
What has UMass done under McCall to deserve to be in a bigger tournament? This is the sad state of affairs UMass basketball is in, we’re right at home playing in a tournament with the likes of Weber and Greensboro and Ball St in a HS gym

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:03 pm

Honestly I see the effort with the players out there. They're moving, hustling, talking. I dont see a lack of effort or hustle, but when other teams make adjustments to what we're doing, it seems we're slow to adapt to the change and we struggle. Seems like we're limited in the frontcourt and maybe Steadman will make a big difference. Theres talent on this team. Noah continually impresses me, CJ Kelly I think could use more time, Rich Kelly is a good compliment to Noah, and I like Buttrick. I think Walker has shown great energy and defensively has been pretty good. Just seems like we lack an inside game right now which hurts us when teams slow us down on the perimeter. But I feel like the team is working hard to make things happen
Time to Win

BillGASox1
Sophomore

Post by BillGASox1 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:19 pm

59 seconds left, #15 shooting two, he misses second shot & out rebounds 4 UMass on the blocks. COMPLETELY outhustled‼️👎🏻. Need to get way more aggressive for entire game. Also looked like Weeks didn’t want to be there in last 5 minutes, totally unlike his dad‼️

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:26 pm

Didn't get to catch the game, only checked the box score. 2nd half clearly stunk, but I feel like for most on here, the 2nd half was a self-fulfilling prophecy. You guys don't like McCall, we get it. They are 4 games into the season. Let's see how they respond today and Sunday and lets see how the team looks with Steadman. We aren't making the NCAA tournament barring a crazy run, so I just want to see improvement as the season goes along and when it matters most. And if that is working Steadman back slowly so he's fully healthy for A-10 play, so be it.

This tournament is the Jamaica tournament, the one that they were supposed to play in last year before COVID. They held it in St. Pete this year for that very reason. I don't know why you guys care so much about the size of the gym. Most of these early tournaments are played in HS gyms....But hey, any chance to knock the team, coach and AD you should grab I guess.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:33 pm

natwam2547 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:26 pm Didn't get to catch the game, only checked the box score. 2nd half clearly stunk, but I feel like for most on here, the 2nd half was a self-fulfilling prophecy. You guys don't like McCall, we get it. They are 4 games into the season. Let's see how they respond today and Sunday and lets see how the team looks with Steadman. We aren't making the NCAA tournament barring a crazy run, so I just want to see improvement as the season goes along and when it matters most. And if that is working Steadman back slowly so he's fully healthy for A-10 play, so be it.

This tournament is the Jamaica tournament, the one that they were supposed to play in last year before COVID. They held it in St. Pete this year for that very reason. I don't know why you guys care so much about the size of the gym. Most of these early tournaments are played in HS gyms....But hey, any chance to knock the team, coach and AD you should grab I guess.
In the last 5 years what positive take away do you have from McCall? You are correct, I do not think he is a good coach and his road and neutral level reflect that. You will not change my mind, but honestly, how do you judge him as a good coach.

My issue with your improvement statement is this team is a bench of free agent pick-ups. If they improve, what does it show, we'll be starting over again next year with a new batch of guys.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:38 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:33 pm
natwam2547 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:26 pm Didn't get to catch the game, only checked the box score. 2nd half clearly stunk, but I feel like for most on here, the 2nd half was a self-fulfilling prophecy. You guys don't like McCall, we get it. They are 4 games into the season. Let's see how they respond today and Sunday and lets see how the team looks with Steadman. We aren't making the NCAA tournament barring a crazy run, so I just want to see improvement as the season goes along and when it matters most. And if that is working Steadman back slowly so he's fully healthy for A-10 play, so be it.

In the last 5 years what positive take away do you have from McCall? You are correct, I do not think he is a good coach and his road and neutral level reflect that. You will not change my mind, but honestly, how do you judge him as a good coach.

My issue with your improvement statement is this team is a bench of free agent pick-ups. If they improve, what does it show, we'll be starting over again next year with a new batch of guys.
Not once in my post did I say he was a good coach. I think he is definitely flawed, but aside from firing him after 4 games, why don't we ride out the season and support the team instead of regurgitating the same shit every time they lose. They have a lot of new faces, and it'll take some time to gel. And one of their biggest pieces which everyone agrees would be a starter in their biggest area of weakness right now, is not playing. They have 3 games in 4 days and were clearly being outplayed yesterday and you guys go back to the well of mocking McCall for saying he wants to shorten his bench but still playing 11 guys. Then in the same breath say McCall doesn't adjust. The guy clearly can't win with you guys. I'm not here to change your mind. If they are playing like garbage come A-10 time and we see a 10-14 place finish in our sights, I will join the charge with you. After 4 games it's absolutely ridiculous and I think the negativity from football/Bamford is definitely spilling over into basketball and this season was already a lost cause with some of you.

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:42 pm

jrdupe wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:13 pm I seriously wanna fight the guy on here who said Garcia would be a lottery pick
He's obviously not a lottery pick, but maybe you should chill out since he's battling back from a concussion?

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:55 pm

natwam2547 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:38 pm
PreecherJenkins wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:33 pm

Not once in my post did I say he was a good coach. I think he is definitely flawed, but aside from firing him after 4 games, why don't we ride out the season and support the team instead of regurgitating the same shit every time they lose. They have a lot of new faces, and it'll take some time to gel. And one of their biggest pieces which everyone agrees would be a starter in their biggest area of weakness right now, is not playing. They have 3 games in 4 days and were clearly being outplayed yesterday and you guys go back to the well of mocking McCall for saying he wants to shorten his bench but still playing 11 guys. Then in the same breath say McCall doesn't adjust. The guy clearly can't win with you guys. I'm not here to change your mind. If they are playing like garbage come A-10 time and we see a 10-14 place finish in our sights, I will join the charge with you. After 4 games it's absolutely ridiculous and I think the negativity from football/Bamford is definitely spilling over into basketball and this season was already a lost cause with some of you.
I think his biggest problem is he can’t win with the guys on the court. And this season is a lost cause already, this was supposed to be the year McCall turned the corner but losing to teams like Yale and Weber almost guarantee we won’t make even the NIT

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:26 pm

Floyd wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:03 pm Honestly I see the effort with the players out there. They're moving, hustling, talking. I dont see a lack of effort or hustle, but when other teams make adjustments to what we're doing, it seems we're slow to adapt to the change and we struggle.
I disagree, the energy/hustle from UMass is very inconsistent.

I see some are criticizing UMass' offense, but UMass' offense wasn't the problem last night, it was 100% their defense.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:28 pm

These 2 losses do not derail an NIT bid but they do greatly diminish the margin for error. If they’re the 2 worst losses on the season then it’s not bad. Unfortunately we all know we will have more bad losses. MM not off to a good start in his do or die season.

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:14 pm

NilesGold wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:26 pm
Floyd wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:03 pm Honestly I see the effort with the players out there. They're moving, hustling, talking. I dont see a lack of effort or hustle, but when other teams make adjustments to what we're doing, it seems we're slow to adapt to the change and we struggle.
I disagree, the energy/hustle from UMass is very inconsistent.

I see some are criticizing UMass' offense, but UMass' offense wasn't the problem last night, it was 100% their defense.
I agree the energy/hustle is inconsistent. To a previous point, Walker injects consistent energy, but after arguably being the best player on the floor in the prior win, he doesn't even see the floor until almost 10 minutes go by last game. This afternoon, again, Dominguez is starting. As pointed out, he hasn't shown anything to be starting. I don't really care what happens in practice. This isn't the boy scouts where if you a generally do what's asked of you, you're rewarded. Winning matters.

About the offense: If they were winning, there would be less complaining. It stinks to watch, and they're losing.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:29 pm

Video Guy is Brady Antonopoulos - probably not two of them!! Nice!!