Fire Ryan Bamford

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
PreecherJenkins
Senior

Re: Fire Ryan Bamford

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:07 pm

vanmeter wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:51 pm I know Matt Komer and he is a fine person. Started out as a manager. Honest good person.

The problem with UMass Athletics is Ryan Bamford. An arrogant individual who has done a terrible job. The only reason he is still here is that nobody else will take him and he has somehow convinced the Chancellor that he is qualified.

Once he is gone things will be brighter.
Tell us more about the terrible job he has done... think the truth needs to come out!
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:46 pm

I'll get crucified for this I'm sure...

Regardless of whether this person is honest or good or a major donor, sometimes you gotta get rid of the old to usher in the new.

Often times, despite how good of a person someone is or, how hard they work, the longer a person has been with an organization the harder it is for them to embrace change or support a vision. Especially if that vision is one that you can't personally see or don't agree with. And sometimes you can't see it because you have been in only one place for so long.

Change is hard and gets more difficult the older that you get... Bamford is a younger guy who comes across as having a lot of energy and seems to want to challenge everything. I know that he gets a lot of heat for his coaching hires, but I'm sure that anyone on this board that has had to hire people know that it can be hit or miss, no matter how much research you do. Outside of that, what has he done to warrant being fired??

Does he create a toxic work environment or does he create a competitive work environment? Sometimes people can't distinguish between the two because they want a 'routine' work environment. And let's be honest here, nearly all state / government jobs are not "pay for performance" jobs like you have in the private sector. If you routinely show up and don't kill anyone, it's nearly impossible to be fired, regardless of your actual performance.

This isn't intended to disparage the person who made the comments. Rather, it's a general flip side-of-the-coin perspective. I don't know the person and I'm sure that there will be a lot of defenders here. But usually in these situations things are never black and white and there is more to the story than one side.
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:46 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:22 pm A major donor to the Department tweeted this:
https://twitter.com/5CollegeMovers/stat ... 11138?s=20
Oof. That's a major slap to Bamford when one of our big corporate sponsors jumps on the train.

Former women's track coach Julie LaFreniere got on board also:
https://twitter.com/JulieLaFrenier5/sta ... 7366690818

This is exactly what you (UM/Bamford) don't want going into tomorrow's celebratory day. Komer picked a good time to drop that bomb.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:59 pm

UMass'96 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:46 pm I'll get crucified for this I'm sure...

Regardless of whether this person is honest or good or a major donor, sometimes you gotta get rid of the old to usher in the new.

Often times, despite how good of a person someone is or, how hard they work, the longer a person has been with an organization the harder it is for them to embrace change or support a vision. Especially if that vision is one that you can't personally see or don't agree with. And sometimes you can't see it because you have been in only one place for so long.

Change is hard and gets more difficult the older that you get... Bamford is a younger guy who comes across as having a lot of energy and seems to want to challenge everything. I know that he gets a lot of heat for his coaching hires, but I'm sure that anyone on this board that has had to hire people know that it can be hit or miss, no matter how much research you do. Outside of that, what has he done to warrant being fired??

Does he create a toxic work environment or does he create a competitive work environment? Sometimes people can't distinguish between the two because they want a 'routine' work environment. And let's be honest here, nearly all state / government jobs are not "pay for performance" jobs like you have in the private sector. If you routinely show up and don't kill anyone, it's nearly impossible to be fired, regardless of your actual performance.

This isn't intended to disparage the person who made the comments. Rather, it's a general flip side-of-the-coin perspective. I don't know the person and I'm sure that there will be a lot of defenders here. But usually in these situations things are never black and white and there is more to the story than one side.
Your not wrong about getting rid of the old to maybe change a culture... that's not what happened. Usually you get rid of the dead weight to bring in new energy. Not get rid of people who are devoted to the school, have built long lasting relationships with staff and alumni, and by all measures do a good job.. On top of that you disparage the job they've done. Like I said before, he had the balls to tweet about how well Matts department was doing right after he fired him! That's how you create a toxic environment. You create that environment by firing people that produce and replace them with administrators that basically do your job for you. Dan Markowski, head of facilities, alumni football player, loved by many.... gone Kristi Stefanoni, softball coach, alumni, and had a 2nd, 1st, and 2nd place finish prior to covid with a Coach of the Year btw.. gone.... there are more

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:38 am

I don't have a strong opinion of Bamford one way or the other. That said, he's always struck me as an empty suit/bull shitter kind of guy. While it's disappointing to see this coming out, I can't say I'm shocked.

His two big sport hires (MM and Bell) also have that same vibe that Bamford does. Interesting that Carvel is the exact opposite of that.

Sounds like it might be time for Bamford to go, but who's in a position and/or interested in taking a long hard look at the situation and doing what's right (whatever that is)? I doubt anyone. The guys who hit all their "deliverables" and toe the company line can get away with slimy stuff under the surface because they keep the bosses happy and don't let the BS bubble to the surface. Maybe with some bubbling the administration will look into it.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:55 am

I'm not going to crucify you, UMass '96, I think you made a really good point. There are two sides to every story, and we've only heard one so far. By all accounts, Komer is a good guy that was well liked and dedicated 30 years to the University, that can't be understated. It also could explain some of the bitterness, getting canned after 30 years isn't an easy pill to swallow.

Regardless of what's really going on in the department, my take is that what Komer did was totally low class. Putting that out there on social media for everyone to read, and right before a big athletics weekend (Statues, Hall of Fame, Football home opener w/ BC), it just reeks. I don't know what he was trying to accomplish. Very disappointed in his decision to put that out there publicly. Not a good look for either party.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:28 am

Juice Stand wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:55 am I'm not going to crucify you, UMass '96, I think you made a really good point. There are two sides to every story, and we've only heard one so far. By all accounts, Komer is a good guy that was well liked and dedicated 30 years to the University, that can't be understated. It also could explain some of the bitterness, getting canned after 30 years isn't an easy pill to swallow.

Regardless of what's really going on in the department, my take is that what Komer did was totally low class. Putting that out there on social media for everyone to read, and right before a big athletics weekend (Statues, Hall of Fame, Football home opener w/ BC), it just reeks. I don't know what he was trying to accomplish. Very disappointed in his decision to put that out there publicly. Not a good look for either party.
When was Matt let go? High road, low road, does it really matter? It happened. If this is a cost savings move, I do not think 100k savings is making or breaking anything.

As we know with Bamford, unless its a podcast with Curry Hicks Sage (use your real name) or his twitter feed we will never get the real story from his side. Whatever happen to McEvoy and or Molly? Were they pushed out in similar vain?

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:41 am

PreecherJenkins wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:28 am

As we know with Bamford, unless its a podcast with Curry Hicks Sage (use your real name) or his twitter feed we will never get the real story from his side. Whatever happen to McEvoy and or Molly? Were they pushed out in similar vain?

LOL aren't you posting on a message board under a fake name? :lol: :lol:

Sorry, not picking a fight, just find that comment pretty funny.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:11 am

Juice Stand wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:55 am I'm not going to crucify you, UMass '96, I think you made a really good point. There are two sides to every story, and we've only heard one so far. By all accounts, Komer is a good guy that was well liked and dedicated 30 years to the University, that can't be understated. It also could explain some of the bitterness, getting canned after 30 years isn't an easy pill to swallow.

Don’t have Twitter, so no idea of the content in the Tweet…But, if someone had 30 years in a Massachusetts State Pension, that would probably put them at the max and basically be working for peanuts (difference between actual pay and pension pay)?

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:22 am

^
I'll sum it up.. Alum and long time employee with deep roots. Ran the academic advising dept for athletics. Held the athletes to the highest standards for the integrity of the University. Bamford needed football to win now so he needed some guys that may need a little help with grades. Matt said no.. Matt let go for "Cost Cutting". Kinda backfired since they had to pay him for 2 years to not show up because they screwed up so bad and lost when it was fought.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:23 pm

Been thinking of all the missteps in Basketball from Nascar Bob firing Bruiser to DK and starting to believe this. DK was probably on the hot seat, but not firer hot until the Chatman incident. Now I noticed the lights on up in the coaches office and thought it was odd during a game. Have to think others as well and the chance of improprieties on inquiries. Perhaps that was what broke the camels back. Now Chatman was let go and DK followed. Maybe Bamford should have know the deals DK made, which disturbed Kesley enough to pull out and left us up the creek. That said, ok with Ryan and Walt Bell considering were we are and his recruiting plan for football. It made a lot of sense at the time. Will watch things play out the next few years. Perhaps prefer the devil I know and not confident that we will hire better with the AD, Bell or McCall. We'll give them time and a reputation of firing coaches does not bold well for the next one applying. Bruiser, Lappas, DK, McCall? Just Ford left for better and he took the first chance for opportunities to leave.
Go UMass!!

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:43 pm

The Chatman incident? Tell me more cause that does not sound familiar. Are you speaking of the Lou Roe one? What game was this with the lights on? Cause the Lou Roe crap was after the BYU game in Springfield.

I re-read and in the plaintiff's complaint where it stated that coach Chatman held her against her will. However, the investigation that Bamford's outside council ran said there was no evidence.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:43 pm

PreecherJenkins, yes and forgot any connection with Lou. Remember seeing the lights on the coaches office and later there was talk about Chatman and her, let me put it as having a discussion.
Go UMass!!

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:40 am

Steve81 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:23 pm Been thinking of all the missteps in Basketball from Nascar Bob firing Bruiser to DK and starting to believe this. DK was probably on the hot seat, but not firer hot until the Chatman incident. Now I noticed the lights on up in the coaches office and thought it was odd during a game. Have to think others as well and the chance of improprieties on inquiries. Perhaps that was what broke the camels back. Now Chatman was let go and DK followed. Maybe Bamford should have know the deals DK made, which disturbed Kesley enough to pull out and left us up the creek. That said, ok with Ryan and Walt Bell considering were we are and his recruiting plan for football. It made a lot of sense at the time. Will watch things play out the next few years. Perhaps prefer the devil I know and not confident that we will hire better with the AD, Bell or McCall. We'll give them time and a reputation of firing coaches does not bold well for the next one applying. Bruiser, Lappas, DK, McCall? Just Ford left for better and he took the first chance for opportunities to leave.
Steve you are supposed to only talk about this stuff in private - Demerits for you.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:43 pm

Wow, for a loyal UMass guy to go off like that, the culture has to be pretty bad in there.