Fire Ryan Bamford

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
TheChamp
Junior

Fire Ryan Bamford

Post by TheChamp » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:19 pm

Inept. Horrible coaching picks so far in the 2 most important sports.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Re: Fire Ryan Bamford

Post by inthescoop » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:30 pm

Maybe Mens Basketball isn't the right place to post this. But yeah I agree, he has created a mess as an AD at UMass.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:53 pm

He's done some good things with fundraising but is horrible at hiring major sports head coaches. I would be very, very happy to see him leave! He really is a D3 ability AD at a D1 program.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:59 pm

He hasn't really made too many hires. Carvel was a home run. Verdi seems to be very good. Bell is TBD. Kelsey/McCall has been a mess.

Bamford needs to find a solution out of the current mess, keeping McCall right now is untenable. If he does nothing this offseason then I'll agree Bamford should be fired.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:01 pm

Fire them all. MM, Bergeron, Bell, Bamford.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:11 pm

NilesGold wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:59 pm He hasn't really made too many hires. Carvel was a home run. Verdi seems to be very good. Bell is TBD. Kelsey/McCall has been a mess.

Bamford needs to find a solution out of the current mess, keeping McCall right now is untenable. If he does nothing this offseason then I'll agree Bamford should be fired.
If there is no mass exodus, and Tre is the “only” transfer, that is what many expected even before this year. Many had him chalked up to Obi Toppin level. Toppin only played two years. (Sure he was a partial qualifier and RS). This type of thing is going to happen to all mid majors, especially those that aren’t dancing routinely. It sucks, and I wish we a HM. But, we are not. Any four star recruit with NBA potential is not sticking around UMass for long, unless we start playing a national schedule and dominate the A10. In that environment, hate to say it, you can’t keep firing coaches. Verdi loses players all the time, too.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:31 pm

I think I remember Carvel really went after the UMass job. More so than Bamford going out than finding him.

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:43 pm

TheInsider wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:31 pm I think I remember Carvel really went after the UMass job. More so than Bamford going out than finding him.
So what you're saying is we need people who really want to work at UMass as basketball and football coaches? Might as well just put a poll on here to vote which forums member should take over those spots.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:47 pm

No what I'm saying is that his gold star hire wasn't this incredible job by the AD.. the coach sought the job and came to him

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:50 pm

TheInsider wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:47 pm No what I'm saying is that his gold star hire wasn't this incredible job by the AD.. the coach sought the job and came to him
(it was a joke)

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:05 pm

This thread is the most on point topic of the year

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:52 pm

Let me remind everyone that McCall was Bamford's 3rd choice to be HC here. The first two are both in the NCAA tournament. The book is not entirely closed on McCall yet either.

Maybe Carvy sought out the job but back in 2001 this guy named Jim Larranaga wanted to be HC here and wasn't given the position. AD gets credit for hiring the right guy.

Football is a mess and Bamford doesn't have a lot to work with there. P5 coordinators get paid more than being HC here, we're in a part of the country where college football isn't all that big on the radar, plus we have the worst stadium in FBS. Pretty much have to swing for the fences and hope you can somehow find the next Urban Meyer or Nick Saban early in their career.

Clearly Verdi was a good hire and is turning around a program that's been irrelevant for two decades.

Overall I would approve of the job that Bamford is doing. I do think he wants to see UMass return to prominence but there have been some obstacles. It could be worse. Look at the uninspiring hire that BC just made when there were more attractive candidates available.
#maction 🚩#flagship

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:42 pm

^Who was the 2nd choice after Kelsey?

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:52 pm

The book is closed with McCall. If he stays there will be more people working at the Mullins rather than paid attendees.
Worst coach here since Ron Gerlusen

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:05 pm

Bamford needs to go, the guy is only concerned with his image and being the “smartest guy” in the room on Twitter. McCall was his 3rd choice so it should be all that much easier for him to move on. But now despite at least 4-6 guys possibly leaving he’s backing McCall because 1. He doesn’t want to admit he’s wrong and 2. The optics of him firing a coach in a pandemic doesn’t play well to his image. There is no reason McCall should be back after last year and even less so after we’re done going thru the third revolt of the McCall Era.

Bamfords 2 most important hires have had virtually no head coaching experience and in the case of Bell he barely had coordinator experience and couldn’t stay in 1 place for more than a season or 2. And both of them showed pretty quickly why they should’ve never had the job. Whip clearly need to go, he had this team at a competitive 4 win team but couldn’t get over the hump. Instead of bringing in someone to get them over the hump Bamford brings in a fast talking used car salesman who couldn’t be any closer to Charley Molnar if he tried. Bamford then brings in McCall who parlayed a Donovan assistant stint and a good year with Wades team into $700k a year at UMass.

UMass has a top 4 arena in the A-10, the best practice facility and a top 4 head coaching salary, they should never be where they consistently have been under McCall but here we are and if it wasn’t for the drastic approach of bringing in an entire prep program and their coach these past 2 years would’ve been even worse because McCall can’t coach or recruit no one wants to play for him, he’s been tuned out by every team he’s coached. And at the end of the day when Bamford could’ve done something to keep this roster together and do what everyone knows is necessary he would rather save face to the media or whoever he thinks is paying attention to him while he spits in the face of the players, alumni, donors and fans. So now just to not have to pay a buyout McCall will go 10-21 next year and get canned and it will while every talented player leaves and we start all over again when if he just let McCall go and kept Bergeron we’d at least have a chance and at this point does it matter if Bergeron is the guy for the job? The season is already lost if McCall is here so what difference does it make if Tony gets a shot? Bamford has been an arrogant disaster at every turn in the 2 most important sports on campus and it’s time he gets called on his bullshit