Fire Ryan Bamford

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Sheck
Hall of Fame

Re: Fire Ryan Bamford

Post by Sheck » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:08 pm

inthescoop wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:42 pm ^Who was the 2nd choice after Kelsey?
Mike Rhoades was actually targeted first but then was hired by VCU.
#maction 🚩#flagship

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:21 pm

Kelz626 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:05 pm UMass has a top 4 arena in the A-10, the best practice facility and a top 4 head coaching salary, they should never be where they consistently have been under McCall
The first two points are highly debatable, the 3rd is factually incorrect... but I agree with the basic premise that UMass should not be where it's been under McCall (or Kellogg before him).

From what I could piece together, the below coaches at minimum, make more than McCall.

Mooney
Dave Paulsen
Travis Ford
Anthony Grant
Mike Rhoades
Keith Dambrot

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:13 pm

https://umassathletics.com/?_gl=1*wfztw ... 1626057828

Not advocating in any way for firing Ryan Bamford here. But just an observation. When the Big People in Boston (you know, the ones who send money our way) are making speeches celebrating the teams' efforts, it's not a good look to be standing behind them twiddling your thumbs. Sorry if you have someplace else to go.

Just sayin'

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:23 pm

harbo wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:13 pm https://umassathletics.com/?_gl=1*wfztw ... 1626057828

Not advocating in any way for firing Ryan Bamford here. But just an observation. When the Big People in Boston (you know, the ones who send money our way) are making speeches celebrating the teams' efforts, it's not a good look to be standing behind them twiddling your thumbs. Sorry if you have someplace else to go.

Just sayin'

No idea what you just tried to link to....
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:27 pm

Yeah, I screwed up the link to the hockey visit to the state house and can't figure what I did wrong.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:53 am

Kelz626 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:05 pm Bamford needs to go, the guy is only concerned with his image and being the “smartest guy” in the room on Twitter. McCall was his 3rd choice so it should be all that much easier for him to move on. But now despite at least 4-6 guys possibly leaving he’s backing McCall because 1. He doesn’t want to admit he’s wrong and 2. The optics of him firing a coach in a pandemic doesn’t play well to his image. There is no reason McCall should be back after last year and even less so after we’re done going thru the third revolt of the McCall Era.

Bamfords 2 most important hires have had virtually no head coaching experience and in the case of Bell he barely had coordinator experience and couldn’t stay in 1 place for more than a season or 2. And both of them showed pretty quickly why they should’ve never had the job. Whip clearly need to go, he had this team at a competitive 4 win team but couldn’t get over the hump. Instead of bringing in someone to get them over the hump Bamford brings in a fast talking used car salesman who couldn’t be any closer to Charley Molnar if he tried. Bamford then brings in McCall who parlayed a Donovan assistant stint and a good year with Wades team into $700k a year at UMass.

UMass has a top 4 arena in the A-10, the best practice facility and a top 4 head coaching salary, they should never be where they consistently have been under McCall but here we are and if it wasn’t for the drastic approach of bringing in an entire prep program and their coach these past 2 years would’ve been even worse because McCall can’t coach or recruit no one wants to play for him, he’s been tuned out by every team he’s coached. And at the end of the day when Bamford could’ve done something to keep this roster together and do what everyone knows is necessary he would rather save face to the media or whoever he thinks is paying attention to him while he spits in the face of the players, alumni, donors and fans. So now just to not have to pay a buyout McCall will go 10-21 next year and get canned and it will while every talented player leaves and we start all over again when if he just let McCall go and kept Bergeron we’d at least have a chance and at this point does it matter if Bergeron is the guy for the job? The season is already lost if McCall is here so what difference does it make if Tony gets a shot? Bamford has been an arrogant disaster at every turn in the 2 most important sports on campus and it’s time he gets called on his bullshit
Why did Whip clearly need to go? what's wrong with 4-8; 4-8 compared to 1-11 and 0-4.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:26 am

^Not sure Whip could see the need for change to get to 6-6.

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:50 pm

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:08 pm

Wow, yeah. I don't have any inside info, but to just put that stuff out there in public like that, burn your bridges so badly, that's a tough look for both involved. As I read it, it totally came off as a bitter former employee smearing some poop on his way out the door. But hey what do I know, maybe it really is a toxic environment over there. I just can't remember hearing anything similar from other former UMass athletics employees recently. It seems like it's been the opposite, actually. Let the speculation begin...ugh.

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:30 pm

^ This doesn't seem like solely a case of a disgruntled former employee. He's been there for, what, 30+ years? This is also a week after Associate AD, Alan Pandiani left the University. I've no doubt the pandemic put a strain on the budget, but it sure sounds like something greater stinks within the dept.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:39 pm

Certainly. It sounded like Alan left on a good note though. There wasn't a whiff of unpleasantness after he announced his departure. It will be interesting to see if any other former employees come out with statements, good or bad.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:13 pm

I know of 2 or 3 more stories that are very similar. I also know Matt.. Stand up guy that has kept quiet for a while. Trust me, there are a lot of people in the department and donors that feel the same way. I mean Bamford had the Balls to tweet how well the academic advising dept was doing right after he fires the guy..

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:22 pm

A major donor to the Department tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/5CollegeMovers/stat ... 11138?s=20
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:42 pm

This is not any ex employee. This is a man who has been there for 30 years! Gave his career to this institution. If what he is saying is true, this needs to be the end of the trump like take over our beloved athletic department. The day that he and McCall are gone I will call that day to purchase my basketball seats again!
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:51 pm

I know Matt Komer and he is a fine person. Started out as a manager. Honest good person.

The problem with UMass Athletics is Ryan Bamford. An arrogant individual who has done a terrible job. The only reason he is still here is that nobody else will take him and he has somehow convinced the Chancellor that he is qualified.

Once he is gone things will be brighter.