KAEO: Ronnie DeGray III

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MikeUMA
Site Admin

KAEO: Ronnie DeGray III

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:38 pm

The fact that Ronnie DeGray doesn't have a dedicated thread is criminal. So, here we are.

Ronnie had a really nice freshman year.
8.7 ppg
4.6 rpg (second to Tre)
.543 from the floor (led team)
.370 from 3 (decent for a forward, better than team avg)
.596 Effective Field Goal % (per Sports-Reference.com)
A-10 Stats on Twitter frequently had him in the best quadrant on their efficiency charts.

He was A-10 Rookie of the Week after he put up 21 (season high) & 6 versus Rhody, and 8 & 10 (season high) at Fordham in January.

Missed out on the A-10 Rookie Team though. I put the numbers together along with the winners.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Open in a new tab to dive into it.

Tyler Kolek won the Rookie of the Year, then the guys in yellow were the members of the Rookie Team. I added DeGray, Garcia, and Weeks (as a redshirt freshman) for comparison, plus Weeks' numbers from last year and his total.

DeGray's Rookie Team chances might have been hurt from lack of chances. We played only 15 games, lowest among the group. Brickus and Baldwin had 25 games.

Ronnie had the best FG%. You might expect that versus guards, but it was even better than Dayton's big man Amzil. Ronnie also had the best Effective FG%.

Ronnie had the second best 3FG%, behind Amzil, so props to him for a 6'10 guy with range.

But another factor that might have hurt Ronnie was he had nearly the lowest amount of average shots, and by extension that led to a next-to-last PPG number. The guy he beat though, in both those categories, VCU's Adrian Baldwin, did make the team. Baldwin's case was boosted by good assist numbers, and the highest steals of the group. VCU being the #2 seed might have also helped.

Another guy Ronnie could argue against is La Salle's Jhamir Brickus. Ronnie has better field goal percentages, better boards (should versus Brickus at 5'11) but Brickus has what Sports-Reference calls the best Player Efficiency Rating of the bunch. I wanna see how they calculate that. And again, Brickus had 10 more games to showcase, even if they did finish in the last four.

Among our guys, Garcia also won a RotW, averaged 10.4 ppg, but might not have been able to argue above those other guards.

Weeks had a better year last year than this, and he didn't make the cut last year, so this year doesn't have much to stand on. Unfortunately his numbers took a dip, 5 full points a game in his scoring average. He was shooting really well last year, at .485 from 3. That dipped to .303 this year. Hopefully he can get some of that back next season.

So back to Ronnie though. What do you think? Should he have gotten one of those spots on the Rookie Team?

Upstate10
Senior

Re: KAEO: Ronnie DeGray III

Post by Upstate10 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:55 pm

I think he should have gotten one of those spots but I guess I can see why people who don’t follow as closely might disagree. Not saying they are right.

Super versatile player, too. Perfect for modern college hoops. I would love to see him at the three next to Tre and a true five.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:57 pm

All I can say is that right now the last thing I want to see is a reference to a new post in a KAEO thread on an existing player. :lol:

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:45 am

I thought Ronnie was excellent this year, better than I expected. Surprised how well he shot it from deep, and he did a little of everything. Plus he was usually out in front on the press. Calm demeanor during games keeps him playing under control. I really thought he would be on rookie team, and I agree, our lesser number of games might have hurt him a bit, but that takes nothing away from how consistent he was for us. I like him and feel he's just going to get even better
Time to Win

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:01 am

Nice job putting that together Mike. I think he definitely could have replaced Brickus or Baldwin on the rookie team, but c'est la vie. He had a very impressive freshman campaign. I didn't know what to expect from him as I don't follow recruiting hype at all, but damn he was solid. He plays very mature and under control too.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:46 am

No one is paying attention to me!!!!
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:18 pm

In case you didn't know, Ronnie's mom is awesome. I also think it's awesome that she's following the hockey team.

https://twitter.com/michelle_degray/sta ... 6907155458

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:35 am

Young man is a tremendous talent! He does many small things very well that change games! And he can score it from all over! Grateful he is on our team and I predict he will be 1st or 2nd A10 within two years if we get big who can pass!

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:04 am

69MG wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:18 pm In case you didn't know, Ronnie's mom is awesome. I also think it's awesome that she's following the hockey team.

https://twitter.com/michelle_degray/sta ... 6907155458
Don’t have to worry about mom transferring 😁

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:45 am

Yep, should change this topic to KBEO on Ronnie DeGray III. As in both eyes. Sure hope he stays.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:34 am

Why would he leave? There has been no indication what so ever that he might go.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:02 am

^ This year it doesn't seem like you need a logical reason to transfer.

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:38 am

Does he have a stepdad looking for a better job? If not, we should be fine.

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:17 pm

uz2b-len wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:46 am No one is paying attention to me!!!!
Who? :lol: hope all is well.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:09 pm

All is well, but I wanted to get some credit for pointing out in advance of the season that Ronnie DeGray would be our best freshman. Actually, I'm not sure he was, but he was damn good.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams