2021-2022 Season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
baseline47
Senior
Posts: 1322
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:59 pm
Location: Amherst, MA

Re: 2021-2022 Season

Post by baseline47 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:50 am

^ So, who are our all A10 picks for the coming season?
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.

User avatar
uz2b-len
Hall of Fame
Posts: 11586
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 6:03 pm
Location: Deerfield, MA

Re: 2021-2022 Season

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:41 pm

Fernandes could maybe make 3rd team
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

NilesGold
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8236
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: 2021-2022 Season

Post by NilesGold » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:49 pm

uz2b-len wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:08 pm This time of year, his ratings are based on last year. That would be a year with Tre Mitchell. This year's team is a whole different story.
My understanding is that these rankings are based on the players who will be on the team this season, not on players who are no longer on it.

PreecherJenkins
Senior
Posts: 1234
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:41 am

Re: 2021-2022 Season

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:43 pm

baseline47 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:50 am ^ So, who are our all A10 picks for the coming season?
no one.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3656
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:54 pm
Location: Back in FL
Contact:

Re: 2021-2022 Season

Post by Roadtrip » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:44 pm

Scrappy junkyard mutts don't need no stinkin All A10. They go as far as team effort takes them.

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 9903
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: 2021-2022 Season

Post by 69MG » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:04 pm

I want to see this team play with the same fire as the 2017-2018 team. We only won 13 games but I enjoyed watching that team play. We had Pip, who had a great year and Carl was very good. Other than that we had an out of shape and injured Holloway and not much else.

I have no idea how much talent we have on this team with so many new guys expected to contribute and do we know if Preston will be the same Preston we saw at the end of 2019-2020?

PreecherJenkins
Senior
Posts: 1234
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:41 am

Re: 2021-2022 Season

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:27 pm

69MG wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:04 pm I want to see this team play with the same fire as the 2017-2018 team. We only won 13 games but I enjoyed watching that team play. We had Pip, who had a great year and Carl was very good. Other than that we had an out of shape and injured Holloway and not much else.

I have no idea how much talent we have on this team with so many new guys expected to contribute and do we know if Preston will be the same Preston we saw at the end of 2019-2020?
You are not giving any credit to CJ Anderson who was the leader and the lynchpin of that team. CJ might not have been flashy or sexy, but we have not had a player close to his leadership abilities since. The only guy that might be mentioned in the same sentence is Keon Claigot (sp)

CJ is still playing Euro, for a 2nd EuroLeague division in Austria, good for him!
Last edited by PreecherJenkins on Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

Floyd
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7724
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:50 am
Location: Not where I should be

Re: 2021-2022 Season

Post by Floyd » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:30 pm

69, we had Malik Hines that year I thought, no? could be wrong , but he had a pretty good year before he left

But I agree with your point, that team played hard and overachieved I thought. They were fun to watch
The E sho, best show in town

PreecherJenkins
Senior
Posts: 1234
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:41 am

Re: 2021-2022 Season

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:35 pm

Floyd wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:30 pm 69, we had Malik Hines that year I thought, no? could be wrong , but he had a pretty good year before he left

But I agree with your point, that team played hard and overachieved I thought. They were fun to watch
Yes Malik was still there, I walked out of the Capital Center next to Malik's mom after the Wednesday a10 game. "I hate this cold weather, think it is time for him to come south"
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 9903
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: 2021-2022 Season

Post by 69MG » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:13 pm

I agree that CJ deserves credit for what he did that year. He blossomed from a very mediocre player his first 2 years to an OK sub his junior year to a valuable piece his senior year.

Malik helped and he had some talent, but he didn't play with the same passion the other guys did. Just my opinion, but if he played with as much heart as Randall West that year he might been a double double guy.

User avatar
uz2b-len
Hall of Fame
Posts: 11586
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 6:03 pm
Location: Deerfield, MA

Re: 2021-2022 Season

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:30 pm

NilesGold wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:49 pm
uz2b-len wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:08 pm This time of year, his ratings are based on last year. That would be a year with Tre Mitchell. This year's team is a whole different story.
My understanding is that these rankings are based on the players who will be on the team this season, not on players who are no longer on it.
I guess we're both right. This is from the Sporting News:
KenPom's rankings aren't based on voting, but rather statistical formulas involving past seasons and current players on rosters that come together to form the Adjusted Efficiency Margin for every team
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

UMassfan_19
Junior
Posts: 702
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: 2021-2022 Season

Post by UMassfan_19 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:43 pm

69MG wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:04 pm I want to see this team play with the same fire as the 2017-2018 team. We only won 13 games but I enjoyed watching that team play. We had Pip, who had a great year and Carl was very good. Other than that we had an out of shape and injured Holloway and not much else.

I have no idea how much talent we have on this team with so many new guys expected to contribute and do we know if Preston will be the same Preston we saw at the end of 2019-2020?
Malik Jones was very solid that year I think steadman can be similar

User avatar
uz2b-len
Hall of Fame
Posts: 11586
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 6:03 pm
Location: Deerfield, MA

Re: 2021-2022 Season

Post by uz2b-len » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:45 am

In case you're wondering, here's the link to the covid precautions page:
https://umassathletics.com/sports/2021/ ... icies.aspx

And here's the link to the basketball ticket sales announcement, which doesn't mention the covid restrictions. Seems like a bad oversight IMHO.
https://umassathletics.com/news/2021/10 ... e-now.aspx
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

NilesGold
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8236
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: 2021-2022 Season

Post by NilesGold » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:46 am

uz2b-len wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:30 pm
NilesGold wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:49 pm
uz2b-len wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:08 pm This time of year, his ratings are based on last year. That would be a year with Tre Mitchell. This year's team is a whole different story.
My understanding is that these rankings are based on the players who will be on the team this season, not on players who are no longer on it.
I guess we're both right. This is from the Sporting News:
KenPom's rankings aren't based on voting, but rather statistical formulas involving past seasons and current players on rosters that come together to form the Adjusted Efficiency Margin for every team
Not really, I believe they're saying it's based on statistics from past seasons of only the players on this year's team. Tre Mitchell and the other departees are not factored in.

User avatar
uz2b-len
Hall of Fame
Posts: 11586
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 6:03 pm
Location: Deerfield, MA

Re: 2021-2022 Season

Post by uz2b-len » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:29 am

Then how do you explain the ridiculous predictions for our team? You know they are off base.

Here's how the man himself explains his ranking system. Maybe it allows for including individual player statistics , but seems pretty clear that the performance of the team as a whole is part of the algorithm
https://kenpom.com/blog/pomeroy-ratings-faq/

Here are the stats you see on his rankings page. They seem to be based on team performance, not individual performance. I don't see anything in his FAQs reference performance of individual players other than to say that similar stats can be computed for individual players.
https://kenpom.com/blog/stats-explained/

I can say this about Pomeroy. I did win my office pool by strictly following his ratings. The pool was then shut down, ostensibly because gambling is naughty.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Post Reply