2021-2022 Season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
69MG
Hall of Fame

2021-2022 Season

Post by 69MG » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:00 am

Now that the season is over, it's time to start speculating as to next year's roster. It's almost a given that there will be transfers and there is also the unknown with our two seniors. As someone mentioned in another thread, we do have some weaknesses that need to be addressed and it will be interesting to see if we pick up a transfer or two to shore up those weak spots. But If we can keep this group together and fill a couple of positional needs I will feel pretty good about our chances next year. The key holdovers for next year (in my opinion) are:
Tre (duh)
Ronnie
Noah
Javohn
TJ
Dibaji
Cairo

The biggest question marks are Carl and Preston. I have no idea if they are coming back. We have Mathews coming in but who knows how much he will contribute. So what do we need:
1. A solid backup for Tre (Most likely would be a transfer. We're not going to find a freshman who could do this.)
2. Someone who can block shots and rebound from the 4 spot (Ronnie could play the 3 and I think that's a better spot for him).
3. A backup point guard
4. Another shooter

Is there room for 4 more guys? Maybe. Carl won't count against the scholarship limit if he comes back. Mathews fills slot 13 which went unused this year. Even if nobody transfers (and Preston comes back), that's only 11 of the 13 used. What are the chances nobody transfers?

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Re: 2021-2022 Season

Post by Old Cage » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:56 am

I believe that Uncle Mark can also come back and not count. This was his fourth season of D1 play. I've posted before that I'm not so sure that he can be done with his MS in Sport Management in one year (this year). That means 10 could come back (and count) plus Mathews, making 11, so two more could be added if no one leaves. But, our thirty year history says that the odds of "no one leaves" are slim and none.

Edit: This certainly contradicts the above:

Mark Gasperini @MarkGasperini ·1h
Despite all of the hardships I truly enjoyed my time at UMass
Last edited by Old Cage on Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:06 pm

Maybe we bring Brady back. This is excellent: https://twitter.com/i/status/1368244988304183299
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:38 pm

Yeah, that was good. We really have a great bunch of kids right now. Really hope they stick together, see this thru. Their hard work will pay off and it'll be sweet. Just need a monster rebounder with size to help out the frontcourt, and I think otherwise, the pieces are there. Another year bigger, another year stronger, another year of experience, and big steps forward. I think the league sees UMass coming.
Time to Win

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:09 pm

A lineup of:

Noah
JG
Ronnie
Tre
A rebounding big

TJ, Cairo, Dibaji, Preston(?) off of the bench is at-large good. Hopefully we don’t see any of those players leave

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:18 pm

By the way Carl reacted when he came out of the game for the final time yesterday it looked like this might be it for him at UMass, really want him to come back but if he doesn’t he leaves tied with Trey Davis for 18th all-time in scoring with 1,353 points

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:11 pm

Every senior should have the opportunity to go out in front of their fans. Hope if he doesn't return, they have him and Mark back next season to do it right

Gonna be another long offseason, but the Bill should be jacked up next fall first game
Time to Win

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:24 pm

Upstate10 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:09 pm A lineup of:

Noah
JG
Ronnie
Tre
A rebounding big

TJ, Cairo, Dibaji, Preston(?) off of the bench is at-large good. Hopefully we don’t see any of those players leave
I hadn't thought much about this until now, but what kind of team are we trying to be? We have pieces that are individually pretty good, but their strength's don't really align. SLU beat us with their rebounding & defense. Davidson & Richmond methodically picked us apart in the half-court. Bona & VCU smother teams with their defense. The coaches of those teams recruit players who align with how they want to play/win games. I honestly don't know what kind of players we recruit, because I don't see much of a common thread between them.

bobolink
Senior

Post by bobolink » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:50 pm

would be great to find a rebounding big, and right now that seems necessary to reach the next level. If we don't get someone who fits that role, thinking about how when Dibaji entered the starting lineup (while he was reasonably healthy), the team went 4-1. Without him starting/quite available, 4-6. The only loss with his D early was Davidson, which was a close game until late, and not out of reach until Tre and Noah got hurt. If Dibaji can come back strong, and others progress, I think he the team can succeed with him in that 5th starter role. Particularly if Preston comes back and you get a little from Matthews.

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:53 pm

bobolink wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:50 pm would be great to find a rebounding big, and right now that seems necessary to reach the next level. If we don't get someone who fits that role, thinking about how when Dibaji entered the starting lineup (while he was reasonably healthy), the team went 4-1. Without him starting/quite available, 4-6. The only loss with his D early was Davidson, which was a close game until late, and not out of reach until Tre and Noah got hurt. If Dibaji can come back strong, and others progress, I think he the team can succeed with him in that 5th starter role. Particularly if Preston comes back and you get a little from Matthews.
Not sure you need a rebounding big as much as more athletic wings in the 6-8-6-6 level who are aggressive rebounders

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:43 am

^ I think we have those guys in Cairo McCrory (6'5", but rebounds like an M F'er) and Preston Santos** (6' 6" and has similar tenacity to McCrory). Dominguez is 6'8", and we'll see how he develops, and Dibaji should be able to fill that role as well at 6' 9" and very long arms. Another year of the younger guys getting stronger, and I don't think they'll get pushed around as much against more experienced teams.

** if Preston decides to come back. I certainly don't want to sound like I want him to prioritize basketball over mental health.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:04 am

If Santos is back and Pierre is not I have

Mitchell
Degray
Santos
Fernandes.. i think he is the guy that may take the biggest step forward next year
Garcia

Bench: Weeks, McCrory, a big transfer,
Sprinkle in a 9th man that may be different on a given night.. no idea if Mathews fits this bill.

For the love of God, lose the press as it doesn't work against good teams..

I am 100% against playing more than 9 guys as I think it hurts more than it helps. Did anyone see St Bona last night.. 8 guys.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:56 am

^ Dibaji will get minutes. He earned them this season with his defense

Now that the season is over, I gotta say that even tho theres no postseason play, there were a lot of good things I saw that give me confidence in the team going forward. It really was a tough season to navigate thru, not just with the 2-3 covid stops, injuries, but also dealing with the DC riot. Tough to get any continuity and consistency, especially with a young team. So I think it shows a lot that they stuck together and didn't quit. I think the staff did a good job integrating all the new players, each of whom had their moments.

Really was impressed with Noah and Javohn coming in and handling the pg spot pretty well in their first year here. I'm sure coach Wheeler had an impact there. Who thought Ronnie DeGray would be as good as he was? Dibaji really stepped up defensively and made an impact. Cairo really impressed me with toughness, rebounding, and ability to score a bit as well. Gasperini stepped in when Tre was out and really played well. TJ was a little inconsistent at times, but you can see his ability to get hot and score in bunches no doubt. Carl was the steadying factor to all the young guys, and when hot, dropped threes in bunches. And Tre was just a better version of freshman Tre, which was fantastic. Truely the leader and unselfish player.

So, in remembering what a young team this is, I'm pretty happy if they all stay together and develop together. I think we're only a piece or two away from being a damn good team
Time to Win

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:08 am

Very cryptic tweet by DD's dad
https://twitter.com/JoseDombos35/status ... 9538598912

Hoping he is not talking about Dyondre...I say that more because of Tre's mom's reply...if it has anything to do with DD and UMAss then it seems as though something happened behind the scenes and she is backing the player, not the coach which is very bad news.

Could McCall be leaving? Did he tell these kids when he was recruiting them that he'd be there and now won't be? Again, pure speculation based on a VERY cryptic tweet.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:17 am

Or she has a kid that is a D 1 athlete so she gets it. He was probably told he was being recruited over and he might want to seek more PT. Where would MM be going?