Still Confident in McCall?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

Are you still confident that Matthew Wayne McCall is the right leader for the UMass Minuteman

Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 60

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Still Confident in McCall?

Post by PreecherJenkins » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:22 am

Since it is pretty fruitless to debate if McCall will be released from his duties soon let us ask the question a different way:
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Re: Still Confident in McCall?

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:10 am

The Mason game earlier this year pretty much sealed my opinion that MM is not the coach I want leading the program.

I don't think he's been TERRIBLE this year, mainly because there have been a lot of circumstances (3 COVID pauses, only 3 non-con games) that have gone against the team. The guys seem to come out and play hard every game.

But these last 2 games have just reinforced that he is nothing special when it comes to the D1 basketball ranks and I don't see him getting much better.

Bamford is in a tough place though. He isn't going to fire MM after this season and even if he did we would likely lose most of the players off a roster that I think we all agree is a really good A10 roster.

In an ideal world I'd like to see MM leave on his own and give TB a go as head coach next year. I'm not sure TB has the intangibles to be the head coach you want running your program (professionalism, saying the right things, etc) but I think it's worth the risk since he's the one who put most of the roster together and I believe he has the player's respect.

For me, next year is make or break for MM. If the majority of the roster stays in tact (including Tre) then they need to be a bubble team next year at worse with a top 4 finish in the league.

If most of the roster leaves, including Tre, then I'd say it's time to start fresh with a new coach.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:34 am

I voted no, I am not confident in McCall. That comes with a disclaimer though, as I'm not confident in him right now, but as a young coach, I am hopeful that he will improve. I haven't given up on him yet as there have been glimmers that he can coach when backed up against a wall with a shorter rotation.
Worcester_To_Amherst wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:10 am I'm not sure TB has the intangibles to be the head coach you want running your program (professionalism, saying the right things, etc) but I think it's worth the risk since he's the one who put most of the roster together and I believe he has the player's respect.
I'm not going to knock Tony for the way he dresses, or what he says, because that's his personality. That's who he is. And go around the NCAA, look at some really successful coaches, and find me guys that always handle themselves with the utmost professionalism and say the right things. Cal was a fiery bastard when he got here and that worked out ok. Chris Beard recently had a temper tantrum, kicking and screaming on the floor, and look what he's done at Texas A&M. If Tony does take over at some point, and he wants to wear his glitter suit and get a little fired up, I'm 100% ok with that as long as he runs a clean program and wins games.

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:16 pm

Worcester_To_Amherst wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:10 am
Bamford is in a tough place though. He isn't going to fire MM after this season and even if he did we would likely lose most of the players off a roster that I think we all agree is a really good A10 roster.
If Bamford fired McCall and promoted Bergeron, that wouldn't happen.
In an ideal world I'd like to see MM leave on his own and give TB a go as head coach next year. I'm not sure TB has the intangibles to be the head coach you want running your program (professionalism, saying the right things, etc) but I think it's worth the risk since he's the one who put most of the roster together and I believe he has the player's respect.
That's the problem with this athletics administration right now -- too much focus on image, politics and posturing. We need some killers in the right spots, and there's one on the hoops bench right now.

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:21 pm

I'm not confident in McCall at all but I understand that there's a 95% chance he's back next year given the circumstances. We have to be a top 4 or 5 team in the A10 and push for a tourney bid, though.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:46 pm

I don't think there's basis from this season to reach a conclusion. Last season things were really looking up in the second half. If we can get back to that level, I'll have confidence in him.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:01 pm

DanaDingle3 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:16 pm
If Bamford fired McCall and promoted Bergeron, that wouldn't happen.
That's the problem with this athletics administration right now -- too much focus on image, politics and posturing. We need some killers in the right spots, and there's one on the hoops bench right now.
Absolutely true, this athletic administration cares more about Instagram posts, YouTube videos and being “right” more than they care about winning or making the necessary moves to win

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:22 pm

I wish there was a third choice on this. I'm right in between. Hopefully next year getting back to a normal schedule, we'll finally see him grow as coach.

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:43 pm

Quann wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:22 pm I wish there was a third choice on this. I'm right in between. Hopefully next year getting back to a normal schedule, we'll finally see him grow as coach.
^
what he said
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:53 pm

I'm less concerned about our confidence in McCall than I am the players.... if they have tuned him out: Game Over.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:18 pm

so here is a question I have for everyone:

Assuming McCall gets his 5th year is it a guarantee that Tony is back? Some desperate Power 5 school could bring him in and know the package deal with Tre.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:42 pm

^
Yeah, that's a good point. I don't think it's a safe assumption that Bergeron is even back with us next season. But if he is then making an in-season change next year should be on the table if the team gets off to a poor start.
#maction 🚩#flagship

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:19 pm

Sheck wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:42 pm ^
Yeah, that's a good point. I don't think it's a safe assumption that Bergeron is even back with us next season. But if he is then making an in-season change next year should be on the table if the team gets off to a poor start.
I really hate an in season change. If we’re thinking to do it then do it now.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

Not Trigger
Junior

Post by Not Trigger » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:40 pm

Did anyone else see SLU's first couple of games after their long covid break? They lost at home to Dayton and on the road to Lasalle and looked as bad as we've looked the last couple of games. This whole year has been a total cluster fuck. We've played less games than any team in our conference, lost our two most important players for a few of those games. Any evaluation of the coach's ability has to be tempered by these realities.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:01 pm

Juice Stand wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:34 am I voted no, I am not confident in McCall. That comes with a disclaimer though, as I'm not confident in him right now, but as a young coach, I am hopeful that he will improve. I haven't given up on him yet as there have been glimmers that he can coach when backed up against a wall with a shorter rotation.
Worcester_To_Amherst wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:10 am I'm not sure TB has the intangibles to be the head coach you want running your program (professionalism, saying the right things, etc) but I think it's worth the risk since he's the one who put most of the roster together and I believe he has the player's respect.
I'm not going to knock Tony for the way he dresses, or what he says, because that's his personality. That's who he is. And go around the NCAA, look at some really successful coaches, and find me guys that always handle themselves with the utmost professionalism and say the right things. Cal was a fiery bastard when he got here and that worked out ok. Chris Beard recently had a temper tantrum, kicking and screaming on the floor, and look what he's done at Texas A&M. If Tony does take over at some point, and he wants to wear his glitter suit and get a little fired up, I'm 100% ok with that as long as he runs a clean program and wins games.
Not knocking him, I’d take him as coach. But it’s a fact that presentability/polish/whatever you want to call it is a factor in these things. I like TB but I have a feeling that the reason he hasn’t gotten a D1 coaching job before UMass has to do with not being willing to kiss ass or “play the game” like people often need to do.

It’s clearly important to Bamford with McCall and Bell getting hired for seemingly being able to say the right things rather than previous successes.