Still Confident in McCall?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

Are you still confident that Matthew Wayne McCall is the right leader for the UMass Minuteman

Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 60

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: Still Confident in McCall?

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:08 am

uz2b-len wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:28 pm Integrating something from another thread, maybe it's not just about the coaches improving over the years, but also stability.

I've been saying that for awhile... the lack of roster stability from day 1 has really hindered McCall. Granted, he has brought much of that upon himself...
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:03 am

I have never been confident in McCall. I had hope that he would learn, and grow into the job, but with 6 seasons of head coaching experience he still makes poor decisions and rookie mistakes.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:28 am

It took Kelvin Sampson 7 years to achieve a winning conference record at his first Div 1 head coaching position (Washington State, admittedly a steep mountain to climb in the Pac10). I thought this from Wikipedia was interesting although not strictly basketball related:
Sampson was born in the Lumbee Indian community of Deep Branch in Robeson County, North Carolina, where he excelled in the classroom and the athletic arena during his prep days at Pembroke High School, in Pembroke, North Carolina. Sampson was captain of his high school basketball team for two years, and played for his father John W. "Ned" Sampson. His father was also one of the 500 Lumbee Native Americans who made national news by driving the Ku Klux Klan out of Maxton, North Carolina in what is annually celebrated by the Lumbee as the Battle of Hayes Pond.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:33 pm

eldonabe wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:16 am
inthescoop wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:08 pm You know what... when the McCall/Bergeron era does fall apart, which I hope much success to of course. I’m changing my course. I would not mind if Rick Pitino ended his career where it all started, at UMass.
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Rick Pitino would revolutionize this program, no question

Happy Thanksgiving all

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:12 pm

^ Pitino can recruit, he can coach and he would raise fan interest. All good reasons to want him.

However, he has done some despicable things and he has shown no love for UMass that I am aware of. So the chances of him wanting the job are low in my opinion.

Maybe somebody knows more than I do about his feelings toward UMass. You do recall that Jack threw him off the team (but he did reinstate him later).

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:41 pm

Pitino's Gaels just knocked off #10 Alabama and are 6-0. I doubt he'd have any interest in coming back to his alma mater. I think he said he wanted to finish his career at Iona and likes coaching at a small school.
#maction 🚩#flagship

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:01 pm

I'd be in for Pitino in a heartbeat.

Think he said he has close family in NY. Not sure what the other draws are for him there. If he thinks he can win bigger at UMass, I think he'd be interested. Let's not underestimate his ego.

Not Trigger
Junior

Post by Not Trigger » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:39 pm

I'd rather lose with anybody than win with that POS Pitino

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:11 am

How do you think Pitino would feel about coaching in a building that has a Calipari banner in the rafters and a statue of the man outside?

Battle Ax
Junior

Post by Battle Ax » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:40 am

^Great point

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:43 am

Eh, don't think Rick is precious about any of that stuff.

Can he take over a program & get them to the top, one last shot at redemption & an F you to his "haters?" Yeah, he probably could here.

Bamford would never hire him, though.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:36 am

Sure he’s good coach, but he was/has not exactly been Mr. UMass when he was a student or as an alum.

What makes any of you think he’d be interested?
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:21 pm

I want Calipari back! :(
Refuse To Lose!!!

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:30 pm

I would rank McCall last among the post-Calipari coaches.

The conference records support my thoughts for the most part. I guess you can make the argument Bruiser was the best post-Calipari coach we
had, but I would argue that he was buoyed a bit by Calipari recruiting, so I'll give Ford the nod.

1) Travis Ford - not the best recruiter, but his teams were fit and they definitely played up to their abilities. Conference record 31-17 .646
2) Bruiser Flint - always could count on his teams playing D. Offensively his teams were lacking. Conference record 52-28 .650
3) Derek Kellogg - he seemed a better recruiter than the others, but his guys didn't develop. Conference record 67-83 .447
4) Steve Lappas - unfortunately, you have to be Kerry Kittles or better to thrive in his system. Conference record 25-39 .390
5) Matt McCall - turnover every single year, not really stealing many wins. 2 years of Tre at least. Conference record 23-47 .359