Game 9, 2020-21: Davidson (1/24)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
CapeCodBruiser
Senior

Re: Game 9, 2020-21: Davidson (1/24)

Post by CapeCodBruiser » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:40 pm

Guys for 25 years we have all been lost in the woods of the Pioneer Valley searching for a single NCAA tournament victory. Every avenue has been explored to get out of the woods, coaching change, AD change, Champions Center, serving beer, new floor, and DK even studied "how we eat and travel". Tre Mitchell isnt going to be able to put this entire program on his back and get that NCAA victory. Chaz tried that. The first step to get where we want to go is to get the double bye in the A10 tournament. That has to be our sole goal every year to grease the skids to a bid AND a victory. These losses to DAV and GMU have hurt the chances of reaching that goal. Lets get this VCU win and get back on track. Forget all the things that have been tried before like a coaching change.

Jimmy McGinty: You know what seperates the winners from the losers?

Shane Falco: The score.

Jimmy McGinty: No, getting back on the horse after getting kicked in the teeth.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:29 pm

DanaDingle3 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:26 am Bob McKillop outcoaches most coaches; Jared Grasso at Bryant surprised us; Bill Coen's been around - of course he'll develop a gameplan. On and on. This is arguably the best roster we've had in the last 6 or 7 years, and it's a reach to shoot for the NIT? Expectations are too high? Why don't we just fold the program if we're going to spend this kind of money on a coach and facilities. This isn't 1999. Nobody's expecting a Final Four this year, but for $1 million/year, we should have a coach who occasionally (or more than occasionally) coaches a good complete game against a good team. Good coaches make second half adjustments. Good coaches throw other teams off balance when they're getting traction on us. Davidson worked the interior early, going through and over our interior defense, looking to open up the game for Grady. Meanwhile, we're running an anemic spread pick and roll and our best player was tired, dinged up or whatever, and our senior shooting guard was totally out of it. Instead of going small and trying to throw them off balance, attack the paint, work the baseline, kick out to TJ, get the guy back in the game(who had 3 or 4 fouls - who cares) who'd been giving their offense fits, we seemingly maintained the status quo as Davidson wrestled the game away. This isn't a one-off. It's really what we've come to expect, and unfortunately, people seem to be ok with it, and whoever questions it has to dial down their expectations. Nope. For every step forward, there's two steps back. Personally, I'm running low on tinder for this.
I agree DD3. Every year we seem ready to take the next step, then its a kick to the ball bag. I'd rather see a team with less talent be coached up and outhustle, outsmart, and outwork other teams. The talent is here to win now, need to take advantage of it
Time to Win

bobolink
Senior

Post by bobolink » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:04 pm

I try for the glass half-full attitude, but we've seen so many disappointments. I expected to lose going into Sunday's game, but the way it happened was hard to take. Blowing a double-digit first half lead wasn't good, but there was a lot of time left and Davidson has a solid team. The game seemed to be slipping away mid-way through the 2nd half, but Noah hit a big 3, and with 5 minutes left Tre goes to the line with a chance to tie it. He missed the front end, McKillop calls time and next thing you know Davidson has a 15-point lead and the announcers seemed to say Tre separated his shoulder. Very hard to take. What was MM doing during that time out?
Davidson made RDGIII and Javohn look like freshmen. Of the 6 Davidson players with big minutes, 2 are seniors and 2 juniors. Their minutes leader: Grady, great performance. Ours: Carl, not a good day. Noah had another good game and TJ was outstanding. Those are the lone bright spots.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:26 pm

My only real criticism of McCall in this game is that he stuck with Pierre instead of giving TJ more of his minutes.

Not Trigger
Junior

Post by Not Trigger » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:21 pm

Agree

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:09 am

NilesGold wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:26 pm My only real criticism of McCall in this game is that he stuck with Pierre instead of giving TJ more of his minutes.
So blowing a double digit lead for the 4th time this season doesn’t bother you...

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:45 am

bobolink wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:04 pm I try for the glass half-full attitude, but we've seen so many disappointments. I expected to lose going into Sunday's game, but the way it happened was hard to take. Blowing a double-digit first half lead wasn't good, but there was a lot of time left and Davidson has a solid team. The game seemed to be slipping away mid-way through the 2nd half, but Noah hit a big 3, and with 5 minutes left Tre goes to the line with a chance to tie it. He missed the front end, McKillop calls time and next thing you know Davidson has a 15-point lead and the announcers seemed to say Tre separated his shoulder. Very hard to take. What was MM doing during that time out?
Davidson made RDGIII and Javohn look like freshmen. Of the 6 Davidson players with big minutes, 2 are seniors and 2 juniors. Their minutes leader: Grady, great performance. Ours: Carl, not a good day. Noah had another good game and TJ was outstanding. Those are the lone bright spots.
Agree, Tre missing that front end really killed us. He's such a great player that I need to remind myself he's still very young and has a long way to go when it comes to giving 100% effort on every play and making winning plays late in the game. If he played up to his ability in the 2nd half I think they win that game. It seems he's floating around out there sometimes, which is fine against Fordham but not against top teams.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:44 am

Kelz626 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:09 am
NilesGold wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:26 pm My only real criticism of McCall in this game is that he stuck with Pierre instead of giving TJ more of his minutes.
So blowing a double digit lead for the 4th time this season doesn’t bother you...
What I said, and what you seem to think I said or implied, is very different.

If I cared enough to dissect the game, I'd go back and rewatch it. But from my one viewing, this seemed like a game where UMass came out fired up and ready to play and compete on defense, but starting about midway through the 1st half, Davidson started slowly but surely whittling away at UMass' lead. Aside from pulling Pierre in favor of TJ, I'm not exactly sure what strings McCall could've pulled to win that game.