Updates on Former UMass Players Still Playing College Ball

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re: Updates on Former UMass Players Still Playing College Ball

Post by Floyd » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:15 pm

^ good enough to start on the #6 team in the country tho. I think Sampson is the type coach they needed to play for. He gets on his guys pretty good. Be interesting to see what they do after this season, come back or move on?
Time to Win

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:15 pm

Update on Clergeot. He didn't play in tonight's win over A&M CC - don't know if he's injured or what. This is pre-game media but doesn't mention any injuries.

"The Southeastern Louisiana men's basketball team looks for a season sweep over Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Monday at 6:30 p.m. on the road in the American Bank Center."

"The game was originally scheduled for Wednesday night but was postponed due to inclement weather and poor traveling conditions."

"The Lions (6-13, 4-6 Southland) defeated A&M-Corpus Christi (3-15, 0-9 Southland) back on Jan. 13, 76-63, highlighted by a career-high 26 points from senior Keon Clergeot. The UMass transfer also made 14 out of 15 from the free throw line to help secure the victory."

"Clergeot, out of Winter Haven, Florida, leads Southeastern in scoring averaging 15.8 points per game. Clergeot, the Dec. 28th Southland Conference Player of the Week, continues to lead the Southland Conference in free throws made as he enters Monday's game with 118, third in the nation. SLU also leads the conference in free throws made as a team. The Lions have made 199 (199-for-275 for 72.4 percent) during conference action."

Had no idea he was 3rd in the nation in free throws. He's probably 1st in charges taken.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:45 pm

Another nice game by McLean tonight (17-8-2) in a win over Merrimack.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:26 pm

Jarreau had a game high 19 in a dramatic win over Memphis. Tramon Mark hit the game winner with 00's on the clock from just inside the half court.

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:42 pm

Not a former player, but I've seen him mentioned here already. Femi went off against Miami in Pitt's loss in the ACC tournament. 28 points, 6 rebounds on 11-16 shooting from the floor.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:49 pm

Jarreau with a triple-double in Houston's win over Tulane.

Merlin Samuels
Junior

Post by Merlin Samuels » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:01 pm

He’s a hell of a player. Definitely would have made some A10 all-conference teams.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:30 am

Their game before this one, against Memphis, the announcers were talking about Kelvin Sampson and his comments on DJ. Sampson said something along the lines of, when he got here he was always late, kind of immature, not a guy he thought would be a good father or husband. But then this year he's become more mature, responsible and has really impressed him with his leadership. Good to hear, thats what college life can do , make you mature and grow up, and sounds like he has a bit. Kid definitely has talent, hope he can make it all work for him
Time to Win

diplomat
Junior

Post by diplomat » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:43 am

capezona wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:49 pm Jarreau with a triple-double in Houston's win over Tulane.
I saw on espn, they said it was the 1st triple double in the history of that conference tournament. DJ has built a nice resume and has made a name for himself

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:28 am

Floyd wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:30 am Their game before this one, against Memphis, the announcers were talking about Kelvin Sampson and his comments on DJ. Sampson said something along the lines of, when he got here he was always late, kind of immature, not a guy he thought would be a good father or husband. But then this year he's become more mature, responsible and has really impressed him with his leadership. Good to hear, thats what college life can do , make you mature and grow up, and sounds like he has a bit. Kid definitely has talent, hope he can make it all work for him
You'd think, after all the years I was in college, that I would be more mature. :D I think you're right though. Sometimes it takes a couple years for guys to figure it out and apply themselves.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:46 pm

Merlin Samuels wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:01 pm He’s a hell of a player. Definitely would have made some A10 all-conference teams.
First team All A-10 no doubt about it.

I never been high on Gresham like others here, I have seen no progress from him since his freshmen year. He either does not have the go getter work ethic, or he just naturally does not have a good basketball IQ. I think it's a combination of both.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:07 pm

Congrats to Chris Baldwin!

His Texas Southern Tigers play Mount St. Mary’s at 11 am Thursday. Winner gets top seeded Michigan.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:31 pm

LS71 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:07 pm Congrats to Chris Baldwin!

His Texas Southern Tigers play Mount St. Mary’s at 11 am Thursday. Winner gets top seeded Michigan.
The only problem is that Chris has somehow found himself at the end of the bench. In the three SWAC Tourney games he played a total of 12 minutes.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:36 am

Congrats to Jarreau... what could have been (for a multitude of reasons)....
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:01 pm

69MG wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:31 pm
LS71 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:07 pm Congrats to Chris Baldwin!

The only problem is that Chris has somehow found himself at the end of the bench. In the three SWAC Tourney games he played a total of 12 minutes.
That’s too bad. That said, he’s dancing and we’re not!
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving