2023 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Re: 2023 Recruiting

Post by NilesGold » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:48 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:27 pm
Jackson96 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:20 am So you don’t want any freshman who need to get stronger unless they are Top 25 recruits like Camby?

How is the humidity on whatever planet it is you call home?
? where did Steve say freshmen couldn’t be skinny? He said he wants guys who are beefy, so the freshmen will need to hit the weights to beef up, unless they can dominate while skinny like Camby. Most freshmen have to get stronger.
stevemaz wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:03 am No more skinny guys unless they are freakish like Camby was.
Freakish in what way? Would you have advocated for not getting someone like RJ as a freshman because he wasn't beefy enough? This is just such a weird hill to die on.

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:39 pm

I still have flashbacks about getting bullied by Tennessee the last time we made the tournament.

Steve's right. We gotta avoid skinny guys unless they're very tall for their position. Frank knows this.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:01 am

I assumed that’s what he meant because he said no more skinny guys - no more meaning guys coming in - and then referenced two freshmen.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Acer71
Sophomore

Post by Acer71 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:57 am

Pardon my ignorance but when does the portal close? It would seem that with all the coaching changes so far and probably soon to come, there will be a lot more players available for Frank and team to evaluate.

bobolink
Senior

Post by bobolink » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:37 am

The portal deadline is May 1. But I think grad transfers can enter later and still have immediate eligibility. Late transfers can get a waiver, but those seem to be getting harder to come by

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:14 am

NilesGold wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:48 pm
Jackson96 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:20 am So you don’t want any freshman who need to get stronger unless they are Top 25 recruits like Camby?

How is the humidity on whatever planet it is you call home?
? where did Steve say freshmen couldn’t be skinny? He said he wants guys who are beefy, so the freshmen will need to hit the weights to beef up, unless they can dominate while skinny like Camby. Most freshmen have to get stronger.
stevemaz wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:03 am No more skinny guys unless they are freakish like Camby was.
Freakish in what way? Would you have advocated for not getting someone like RJ as a freshman because he wasn't beefy enough? This is just such a weird hill to die on.
Post the whole quote. To me it was clear he said the freshmen need to hit the weight room to get beefier. Then the next part is to get some guys who have already hit the weight room. No where does it say get rid of the skinny freshmen. To the contrary. It says keep them and have them bulk up and then go after some already beefy guys, unless they are freakishly talented.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:08 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:14 am
Post the whole quote. To me it was clear he said the freshmen need to hit the weight room to get beefier. Then the next part is to get some guys who have already hit the weight room. No where does it say get rid of the skinny freshmen. To the contrary. It says keep them and have them bulk up and then go after some already beefy guys, unless they are freakishly talented.
stevemaz wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:03 am Just watching the games over the past week and it shows we need to get guys with some beef. No more skinny guys unless they are freakish like Camby was. Guys like Luis and Gapare need to hit the gym this offseason.
There's his whole post. What I'm asking is, if we could get someone who was like RJ was as a freshman, would you not take him because he's too skinny? Would you not take someone like freshman year Daron Holmes? I don't get the fascination with "beef".

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:37 pm

NilesGold wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:08 pm I don't get the fascination with "beef".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmAk0oOkqxY

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:49 pm

NilesGold wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:08 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:14 am

stevemaz wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:03 am Just watching the games over the past week and it shows we need to get guys with some beef. No more skinny guys unless they are freakish like Camby was. Guys like Luis and Gapare need to hit the gym this offseason.
There's his whole post. What I'm asking is, if we could get someone who was like RJ was as a freshman, would you not take him because he's too skinny? Would you not take someone like freshman year Daron Holmes? I don't get the fascination with "beef".
They might not need to be beefy to start, but they need to be able to fill out a frame, IMO. Very few skinny guys are strong enough to compete. Beef usually equals strength and we have not been stronger than our opponents for a while. Strength wins in March.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:32 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:37 pm
NilesGold wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:08 pm I don't get the fascination with "beef".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmAk0oOkqxY
Where the hell did u dig that one out from? :lol:
Time to Win

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:20 pm

Speaking of beef, here's a 6'8, 235 forward that we're looking at. I would love to see us get a "beefy" 4 who can score and rebound so that Matt can play the 3. That would give us a bigger, stonger team and Matt would give most 3's a lot of trouble.
@ThePortalReport
2h
Western Carolina (D1) transfer Tyzhaun Claude told @ThePortalReport that he has heard from the following schools in the portal:

Ole Miss
LSU
Georgia
Clemson
Wake Forest
UCF
UMASS
Coastal Carolina
McNeese State
East Carolina
Tulane
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... aun-claude
Went for 18/7 against Georgia and went for 12/7 against Maryland and Davidson.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:44 am

Hopefully the visit went well yesterday. Getting a legit post scorer would be huge for us. Really solidify the inside out game with RJ and Cross on the wings.

skizz
Sophomore

Post by skizz » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:57 am

The way some of you talk about Thompson at the point guard position, Kellogg and Padilla would have never been able to play here.
FITCTAJ

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:57 pm

As a Thompson doubter, I think that’s a fair comment — although I don’t think anyone has necessarily been over-the-top with their critiques. Padilla and Kellogg obviously developed into really good point guards. That said, there are lots of examples of guys who didn’t develop as well.

Also, I think both the game has changed a bit (college has always been about guard play to an extent but this is especially true now) and both Padilla and Kellogg had stronger teams to develop on (and Edgar wasn’t as effective when didn’t have that stronger lineup.)

Could Thompson develop into a starting point guard on a good team? Sure, anything is possible. By all accounts, he’s a good kid who is a hard worker. That said, I don’t necessarily think point guard when I watch him play, and he really needs to develop his outside shot and get better at staying in front of his man on defense.

At this level I think he’s more likely to develop into a guy who can give you some minutes off the bench.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:02 pm

Josh Cohen commenting on his visit.

https://twitter.com/josh_cohen35/status ... 7iGbFHhWbQ