2023 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Re: 2023 Recruiting

Post by natwam2547 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:01 am

stevemaz wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:39 am How many guys will we lose from this years squad? Kante and Martin are definitely out of eligibilty and I suspect Woodley will not be back

My guess is that Fernandes and Weeks may not be back and any or all of the current Freshmen could leave. Dominquez could also leave.

Hopefully one of the new recruits is a true Pt Guard. I would target the portal for a seasoned pt guard as well.
Kante and Martin are definitely gone. Fernandes and Leveque are possibilities, so is Woodley for different reasons obviously. Weeks would surprise me. DD would surprise me. Robert Davis Jr tweeted something about DD saying he can't wait to play with him next year. So either he knows that he'll be back from talking to him, or he's making an assumption based off of what's been told to him about next year's roster.

If any of the Freshman leave it would be highly disappointing given their potential and the way Martin has integrated them into the rotation. G. Thompson and Diggins are possibilities given their disappointing seasons thus far. But maybe Martin is playing the long game with those 2 and has a plan for them when more spots open up.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:31 pm

Haven't seen much about our incoming freshmen but I spotted this today. Results are from December:
Rivers Athletics
Boys’ Varsity Basketball defeats Belmont Hill to move to 2-1.
Jayden Ndjigue ‘23 - 12 pts 5 rebs 4 stls 2 blks
Rivers Athletics
Boys’ Varsity Basketball defeats KO to move to 3-1.
Jayden Ndjigue ‘23 - 13 pts 7 rebs 5 asts 2 stls 1 blk
Rivers Athletics
Boys’ Basketball defeats Frederick Gunn to move to 4-1!
Jayden Ndjigue ‘23 15 pts 4 reb 3 ast 4 stl 1 blk
The ISL
@ISLSPORTS
RiversAthletics: BVBB defeats Beaver to move to 5-1 and advance to the Holiday Tournament Championship!
Jayden Ndjigue ‘23 17 pts 6 reb 2 stl 1 blk
@RiversAthletics
Dec 8, 2022
Jayden Ndjigue ‘23 named Zero Gravity Prep Classic All-Tournament 2nd Team
@J11yden

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:52 am

Here is the schedule for the Hoophall Prep Showcase next weekend. SoCal Academy playing 3 games, also looks like Sawyer Mayhugh playing on Sunday.
Games are supposed to be at MassMutual Center in the convention space but have heard AIC may also be hosting some games.

https://nationalprepchampionship.com/ev ... -showcase/

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:27 am

wmmmfan wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:52 am Here is the schedule for the Hoophall Prep Showcase next weekend. SoCal Academy playing 3 games, also looks like Sawyer Mayhugh playing on Sunday.
Games are supposed to be at MassMutual Center in the convention space but have heard AIC may also be hosting some games.

https://nationalprepchampionship.com/ev ... -showcase/
just to avoid any confusion - this event is different than the HoopHall classic being held at Springfield College. I have searched on MassMutual center website and the hoophall prep showcase for tickets and there is no mention at all of tickets being sold - since its a showcase is it possible tickets are free?

EDIT - I do now see a link on Mass Mutual Centers website to buy tickets - $21 for the day.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:32 pm

NERR
@NERRHoops
2h
2023 UMass commit Robert Davis Jr played very well in front of Frank Martin tonight. Scored 22 points while showcasing his marksmanship from downtown.
His team lost to Hargrave 74-71. He's about the same size as RJ and it looks like he can provide some offense.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:56 pm

I was able to get out and see both Davis and Mayhugh on Sunday.

Davis can shoot from anywhere, has good form, played good defense and has a solid basketball IQ. I think his game will only grow under FM and the staff, I look forward to watching him over the next 4 years.

Mayhugh is a developing player, he moves well, can hit the three, mid range and has a soft touch around the basket. I can see him feeding from the high post and being able to hit the three if it comes back out to him. I’d like to see a little more aggression from him on D but all in all I think he can be a good complimentary piece. He knows the game, where to be and what to do with or without the ball.

I think FM is putting together an nice program for the future with Gapare, Luis, K. Thompson, Davis, Mayhugh, Diggins and G. Thompson. I haven’t see Ndjigue or Worthy but what little I can find, Ndjigue is an athletic wing with strong defensive ability and a mid range range game. Worthy is supposed to be solid defensively and can shoot from deep.

Good times ahead!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:23 pm

^ Thanks for the info. I've seen a lot about Davis and his shooting and I felt he could step in and be somewhat like RJ. I think they are both around 6'6.
All I've seen on Mayhugh are highlight videos of him shoting the 3 ball. Hope he develop some D and rebound. We'll need that next year from our backup center. With Kante gone and Woodley a big ?, we need another center.

I agree with you that the young talent is impressive.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:49 pm

Love to see Frank land an impact big guy who's a banger inside. WL is only here 1 more year potentially I think, so grab a 7 footer to take Kante's spot. I know easier said than done, but would give us good Inside physicality
Time to Win

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:51 am

Of the 4 incoming Freshman I think Davis will have the biggest impact - Jayden Ndjigue was not highly recruited at all - Kellog actually offered him while at LIU and coincidentally signed with UMass about a week before Derek made it official that he was coming back so I wonder if he was instrumental in bringing him to UMass? On paper this seems to be a weak class - although I'll admit I really do not know anything about Worthy - but the fact that Mayhugh is playing on the lower level team at Brewster, especially at 6'10 - thats a little disappointing to me - BUT - like they say - you can't teach height so maybe once Frank gets his hands on him and he gets in the gym he'll be a pleasant surprise

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:45 pm

^ I think you are right that Davis will have the biggest immediate impact. He reminds me a bit of RJ. I hope that's the case.

Mayhugh is playing on the AA team is so he can get lots of playing time. He would be backing up the #2 prospect in New England who is on the AAA team and only getting 10 minutes a game. The kid's name is JP Estrella and he is going to Tennessee next year. He had 26 offers:
https://247sports.com/Player/JP-Estrella-46129063/

As for the other two, I don't know as much. And you are right, they were not highly recruited but sometimes you find a hidden gem.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:52 pm

I recently read or listened to an interview with Frank where he talked about recruits. Not specifically this class, but recruiting in general. It's not the talent, it's how they fit your system and the program you're trying to build. Sometimes you need those knockout talents (RJ and Tafara), but sometimes you get guys that, in Frank's case, are tough and play hard-nosed basketball but might take more time to develop (Keon).

I don't know anything about this incoming class, but I'm not going to pay any attention to player rankings. I'm going to assume that Frank was drawn to them because of their character and the way they play, with an eye on developing them in his system.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:20 pm

A bit of news about a couple of our guys:
Rivers Athletics
@RiversAthletics
Boys’ Basketball defeats Tabor to improve to 14-1!
Amir Lindsey ‘24 18 pts 5 reb 7 ast 1 blk
Jayden Ndjigue ‘23 18 pts 8 reb 4 ast 2 stl 1 blk
Andrew Alekseyenko ‘24 16 pts 10 reb 3 ast 2 stl 2 blk
Ryan Altman ‘25 14 pts 7 reb 4 ast 4 stl 1 blk
Jay Jones ‘24 11 pts 6 reb 2 ast
EDIT: This (on Mayhugh) was retweeted yesterday and I just noticed that it was from June. Not much current news.
ELITE High School Scouting
@EliteHSscouting
Some additional @NEPSAC Showcase 2023 post standouts:
📷 Grgur Brčić (Williston Northampton)
Aidan Cammann (Brewster/Harvard)
Alan Mashensky (Choate Rosemary Hall)
Sawyer Mayhugh (Brewster)
Allen Myers (NY Military Academy)
Ugonna Kingsley Onyenso (Putnam Science)

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:15 am

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:51 am Of the 4 incoming Freshman I think Davis will have the biggest impact - Jayden Ndjigue was not highly recruited at all - Kellog actually offered him while at LIU and coincidentally signed with UMass about a week before Derek made it official that he was coming back so I wonder if he was instrumental in bringing him to UMass? On paper this seems to be a weak class - although I'll admit I really do not know anything about Worthy - but the fact that Mayhugh is playing on the lower level team at Brewster, especially at 6'10 - thats a little disappointing to me - BUT - like they say - you can't teach height so maybe once Frank gets his hands on him and he gets in the gym he'll be a pleasant surprise
Ndjigue is a guy who fits a role. He is a high level defender wing/guard combo can really lock guys up on the perimeter. Will probably never put up huge numbers but could be a really good glue guy

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:38 pm

Luis, Gapare and Davis are the scorers who will see the most touches. Thompson and Diggins will form a solid back court, the playing time they are getting has been very beneficial. Ndjigue, Mayhugh and Worthy are role players with strong defensive abilities, who do have offensive skills.
Ndjigue is athletic and has a solid mid range game, Mayhugh is a legitimate 3pt shooter ( don’t focus on which Brewster team he is playing for, they wanted him to get a lot minutes this year for his development) who can run the floor and has good footwork. Worthy I haven’t seen but the few write ups I’ve seen all focus on his toughness, defense and shooting. They are all said to be great team players that only care about winning.

Some Rivers games are live streamed if you want to watch Jayden play.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:57 am

I kind of expect that neither Fernandes or Weeks will be back. If I were Weeks I would look at Harvard, Brown, or Yale.. get the Masters degree from an Ivy. I think the remaining 8 guys will stay which leaves room for one transfer who should be a productive Big.