2020-21 Season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
TheInsider
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3620
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:12 am

Re: 2020-21 Season

Post by TheInsider » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:06 pm

By all accounts hes better than any guard we have now. They also said he was one of the best players on the Brewster team down the stretch. We will see.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2197
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:17 pm
Location: Cuticle, Cortex and Medulla

Re: 2020-21 Season

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:18 pm

TheInsider wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:06 pm By all accounts hes better than any guard we have now.
Maybe, but that leaves aside the fact that he hasn’t played a minute of college ball. EVERY year recruits get hyped and even when they have decent seasons we immediately turn our attention to how much better the next class of recruits are going to be. Some people really, really get into following recruiting for recruiting sake without any real interest in what happens to the actual recruits once they have landed somewhere.

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 9400
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: 2020-21 Season

Post by 69MG » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:52 pm

Is there cause for optimism next year, and how much optimism? Here's my take on this, with 3 assumptions:
1. TJ comes back healthy
2. None of these players transfer (Tre, Dibaji, Carl, Samba, Preston, TJ)
3. We get a big and we get Fernandes (who sits)

I'll base it on who is leaving and who is replacing them (upgrade, even or downgrade). There isn't anything else to talk about or watch on TV so it's an exercise in combating boredom.

Baptiste vs. a big - I'll call this one even since we don't know who it will be
Chatman vs. Dyondre - Upgrade because we got nothing from Sy.
Jackson vs. McCrory - Upgrade
Clergeot vs. TJ - Upgrade
Kolton/East/Buggs (one of them will probably go if we sign Fernandes) vs. Garcia - Upgrade
Bonus - Fernandes, even if he has to sit.

For me, this raises the level of our talent significantly.

Floyd
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7393
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:50 am
Location: Not where I should be

Re: 2020-21 Season

Post by Floyd » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:24 pm

Why is there even a question about TJ coming back healthy? He had a hernia not brain surgery. Hernias happen all the time in sports and rarely is it an issue
The E sho, best show in town

User avatar
Slapthefloor93
Sophomore
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:37 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020-21 Season

Post by Slapthefloor93 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:29 pm

Roadtrip wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:07 am I have seen a few posts that are optimistic about next season. I see little evidence that the team will be any better in 20/21. Neither of the two known recruits appear to be game breakers. As of now the team would be very thin up front. There is the possibility that both Keon and Carl move on. They have given UMass 3 years, and both deserve a chance at post season play should they want that. The McCall learning curve seems to have flattened.
Please feel free to add any omissions, or defend a more positive view.
You lost me with this one. Our second best player missed conference play but will be back. Tre was good to start the season but straight unstoppable towards the end - have to think that he'll be on the short list for A10 PotY if he continues at his current rate. Most people who have seen Garcia play extensively think he will instantly be the best PG on the team. Dibaji will be able to get into the flow of the team from the very start of the season, and Dominguez is a 6'9" kid who can hit 3's and pound the glass. As far as being thin up front, I'll trade Djery for DD 8 days a week, and I love Djery, but if we are just talking about talent and potential, then come on. Also, we are not done with signings/people leaving and will be adding another big anyway.

Add all of that to the fact that we started A10 play 1-5 but finished it off 7-5. We were finally, for the first time in about five years, playing good basketball for an extended period of time. I'd have to think that momentum and confidence carries over with a nothing-but-older, more talented and more versatile squad.

Call me crazy, but I just have a hard time seeing a team with a non-freshman Tre Mitchell and even decent depth finishing in the bottom half. We should have the best depth we've had in years. Give me 11-7 with a 13-5/14-4 type of ceiling. I really see no reason to not feel great.

User avatar
Slapthefloor93
Sophomore
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:37 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020-21 Season

Post by Slapthefloor93 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:31 pm

Roadtrip wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:07 am I have seen a few posts that are optimistic about next season. I see little evidence that the team will be any better in 20/21. Neither of the two known recruits appear to be game breakers. As of now the team would be very thin up front. There is the possibility that both Keon and Carl move on. They have given UMass 3 years, and both deserve a chance at post season play should they want that. The McCall learning curve seems to have flattened.
Please feel free to add any omissions, or defend a more positive view.
You lost me with this one.
1. Our second best player missed conference play but will be back.
2. Tre was good to start the season but straight up unstoppable towards the end - have to think that he'll be on the short list for A10 PotY if he continues at his current rate.
3. Most people who have seen Garcia play extensively think he will instantly be the best PG on the team.
4. Dibaji will be able to get into the flow of the team from the very start of the season.
5. As far as being thinner up front, Dominguez is a 6'9" kid who can hit 3's and pound the glass. I'll trade Djery for DD 8 days a week, and I love Djery, but if we are just talking about talent and potential, then come on. Also, we are not done with signings/people leaving and will be adding another big anyway.
6. Haven't even discussed what we might have with Cairo, how much Preston improved as time went on, the fact that Kolton's hand will be healed and he might actually be able to do something on offense, etc.

Add all of that to the fact that we started A10 play 1-5 but finished it off 7-5. We were finally, for the first time in about five years, playing good basketball for an extended period of time. I'd have to think that momentum and confidence carries over with a nothing-but-older, more talented and more versatile squad.

Call me crazy, but I just have a hard time seeing a team with a non-freshman Tre Mitchell and even decent depth finishing in the bottom half, and we should have the best depth we've had in years. Give me 11-7 with a 13-5/14-4 type of ceiling. I really see no reason to not feel great.
Last edited by Slapthefloor93 on Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanaDingle3
Sophomore
Posts: 184
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:41 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: 2020-21 Season

Post by DanaDingle3 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:33 pm

I agree we'll be better on paper next year in every respect. This is the year McCall earns his paycheck (and not by just taking lumps). The team turned it on once Kolton and Preston entered the starting lineup. I don't think that by itself had a ton to do with the improved play, but it looked like the priorities shifted. We weren't going to be a team to run around the court pressing for 40 mins and hoping to hit enough 3s to win. The team decided to dig in, play defense, rebound, run offense through Tre, but maybe more importantly, it looked like McCall had a better sense of his team, their strengths, weaknesses, and how he could put guys in position to succeed. It kind of looked like a light flipped on at some point. I can't remember the last time a UMass team improved through the season and finished strong.

Coach will have a challenge of balancing all these guys, putting everyone in a position to succeed, with total buy-in. If that happens, the floor is battling for top 4 in A10 and an NIT slot.

User avatar
uz2b-len
Hall of Fame
Posts: 11494
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 6:03 pm
Location: Deerfield, MA

Re: 2020-21 Season

Post by uz2b-len » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:50 pm

Slapthefloor93 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:31 pm Call me crazy, but I just have a hard time seeing a team with a non-freshman Tre Mitchell and even decent depth finishing in the bottom half, and we should have the best depth we've had in years. Give me 11-7 with a 13-5/14-4 type of ceiling. I really see no reason to not feel great.
Not crazy, just repetitious.
All kidding aside, I'm on the bandwagon for the best A10 season since the Chaz years. Just looking at the finish, 5-4 over the last half of the season, which would translate into 10-8 for a full season. So this exact roster, with three guys injured and on the bench, one guy far away who knows where, this exact roster could be expected to finish 10-8 next season. Then add in the return of TJ, which, to me, translates into victories replacing losses in our three close games (at StL, at GM, an of course Senior Night). So with TJ, a 13-5 season is totally reasonable to expect. And give me one more win just from more experience for the young players and lots of new talent/depth. You may question how good Javohn Garcia is but I guarantee you he's better than Kolton Mitchell. So, I think 14-4 is a reasonable expectation, as long as TJ and Tre stay healthy. And yes, it's on McCall to make it happen.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

User avatar
natwam2547
Senior
Posts: 1769
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:31 pm

Re: 2020-21 Season

Post by natwam2547 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:32 pm

Slapthefloor93 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:31 pm
Roadtrip wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:07 am I have seen a few posts that are optimistic about next season. I see little evidence that the team will be any better in 20/21. Neither of the two known recruits appear to be game breakers. As of now the team would be very thin up front. There is the possibility that both Keon and Carl move on. They have given UMass 3 years, and both deserve a chance at post season play should they want that. The McCall learning curve seems to have flattened.
Please feel free to add any omissions, or defend a more positive view.
You lost me with this one.
To be fair this post was from 2 months ago.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3603
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:54 pm
Location: Back in FL
Contact:

Re: 2020-21 Season

Post by Roadtrip » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:43 am

^Thanks, Nat, post was to promote discussion in more dismal times.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Junior
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Re: 2020-21 Season

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:53 am

DanaDingle3 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:33 pm I agree we'll be better on paper next year in every respect. This is the year McCall earns his paycheck (and not by just taking lumps). The team turned it on once Kolton and Preston entered the starting lineup. I don't think that by itself had a ton to do with the improved play, but it looked like the priorities shifted. We weren't going to be a team to run around the court pressing for 40 mins and hoping to hit enough 3s to win. The team decided to dig in, play defense, rebound, run offense through Tre, but maybe more importantly, it looked like McCall had a better sense of his team, their strengths, weaknesses, and how he could put guys in position to succeed. It kind of looked like a light flipped on at some point. I can't remember the last time a UMass team improved through the season and finished strong.

Coach will have a challenge of balancing all these guys, putting everyone in a position to succeed, with total buy-in. If that happens, the floor is battling for top 4 in A10 and an NIT slot.
Completely agree on McCall. I first noticed it in the Duqeusne game, and there was the Davidson stinker sprinkled in, but he seemed to greatly improve as an in-game coach the 2nd half of A10 play. Maybe it's the players playing better, but he did seem to have more control over the game.

Floyd
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7393
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:50 am
Location: Not where I should be

Re: 2020-21 Season

Post by Floyd » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:22 am

I agree with that as well, I did notice a change in him. I think he truely likes and cares about his players but is now more their coach instead of trying to have them like him. And I think having Tony around has helped that as he may have a more personal relationship with a lot of the kids because he had them at Woodstock. Plus I think the staff overall does a better job
The E sho, best show in town

User avatar
DoctorJ
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2702
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:36 pm
Location: Western Mass.
Contact:

Re: 2020-21 Season

Post by DoctorJ » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:44 am

URIne just lost Mekhi Long, 4 star recruit, to transfer.
Refuse To Lose!!!

eldonabe
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4553
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:34 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: 2020-21 Season

Post by eldonabe » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:59 am

Rumors suck....

"Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."
In Matt McCall I trust!

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 9400
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: 2020-21 Season

Post by 69MG » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:16 pm

Just saw that we have booked home games against 3 teams that beat us on the road last year. Maybe we can repay them. We'll also play Fairfield at home and most likely the annual game with Lowell.

Rutgers (20-11)
Harvard (21-8)
Akron (24-7)

Post Reply