KAEO: CJ Jackson

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MikeUMA
Site Admin

Re: KAEO: CJ Jackson

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:24 pm

CapeCodBruiser wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:04 pm Not sure what the situation is but I think he will get a chance to contribute before the season shuts down.
With Dibaji getting more and more comfortable, there are fewer minutes to be had for CJ. He has fallen to the last resort besides Higgy. Apparently he hasn't done enough in practice to get himself ahead of the other guys.

There's not much room for him to get meaningful PT in the slate we have left.
We're at La Salle. We still struggle on the road and La Salle is going to fight to try to get out of Wednesday A-10 games.
We host Rhody, and that's not going to be easy.
Then we get the conf tourney where it's win or go home.

Since conference play started (pretty much when Dibaji became available), CJ has only gotten into 10 of the 16 games, for a total of 35 minutes, and many of those minutes were in garbage time. He has 5 points in that stretch on a 3 and a pair of FTs.

Maybe the worst part is that he only has 3 rebounds, all season (75 minutes of PT across 15 games). At 6'6 he has the size to get some boards, he just has to get it done.

There's maybe a slight window for him, backing up Samba/Santos/Dibaji if Tre gets into foul trouble and Djery being out, but that's slim pickins.

I wish the guy success, but it's just not coming together.

bobolink
Senior

Post by bobolink » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:44 pm

and it's official
https://twitter.com/ChrisJack1_/status/ ... 5613014029

best of luck to CJ. sorry it didn't work out here

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:46 pm

I look forward to giving numerous Fucks about him in his future endeavors. Good luck, CJ!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:46 pm

I hope CJ does well. He looked like a great teammate and will be well received wherever he lands.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:58 pm

Best of luck to you CJ. You're a class kid, by all accounts a great teammate, and those things you can't teach. You'll find your spot and do well. Change = opportunity
Time to Win

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:42 pm

Even when CJ was not on the court, he showed incredible energy towards the team, and picked everyone up. Definitely an all around fantastic teammate that was always showed love. Yeah he didn't get much playing time in his freshmen year, but he seemed happy; I hope he did not transfer because of pressure from some of his family members. At the end of the day, may not realize it now, but happiness is more important than playing time.

Hope the best for CJ, he had games where he showed he can shoot and play well, and games where he panicked because he tried to show the most in a limited amount of time - my guess is that his next team will be somewhere south. Best of luck!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:44 pm

Wish him the best and hope he shows what he can do with a lot of playing time.

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:21 pm

inthescoop wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:42 pm Even when CJ was not on the court, he showed incredible energy towards the team, and picked everyone up. Definitely an all around fantastic teammate that was always showed love. Yeah he didn't get much playing time in his freshmen year, but he seemed happy; I hope he did not transfer because of pressure from some of his family members. At the end of the day, may not realize it now, but happiness is more important than playing time.

Hope the best for CJ, he had games where he showed he can shoot and play well, and games where he panicked because he tried to show the most in a limited amount of time - my guess is that his next team will be somewhere south. Best of luck!
He transferred because he didn’t have a spot on the roster next year

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:02 am

CJ is following in the footsteps of another former Minuteman, Andre Burks, and is headed to McNeese State.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:05 am

Seems like a good place for him. Best wishes to CJ.
Refuse To Lose!!!

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:57 am

And Malik Hines? Off topic, but I was thinking of Malik Hines as the most recent guy on the team that compares to Gasperini. Not sure how accurate that comparison is with the exact type of player they are, but more so the type of impact/performance we could get from him.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:38 am

Worcester_To_Amherst wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:57 am And Malik Hines? Off topic, but I was thinking of Malik Hines as the most recent guy on the team that compares to Gasperini. Not sure how accurate that comparison is with the exact type of player they are, but more so the type of impact/performance we could get from him.
Not too bad a comparison. My sense is Gasperini has better hands and post skills.
Refuse To Lose!!!

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:34 am

DoctorJ wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:38 am
Worcester_To_Amherst wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:57 am And Malik Hines? Off topic, but I was thinking of Malik Hines as the most recent guy on the team that compares to Gasperini. Not sure how accurate that comparison is with the exact type of player they are, but more so the type of impact/performance we could get from him.
Not too bad a comparison. My sense is Gasperini has better hands and post skills.
Really which Malik Hines stayed he was pretty solid the first year under McCall

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:20 pm

Good luck CJ... hopefully he'll be able to get some playing time off the bat there to prove he can play.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

bobolink
Senior

Post by bobolink » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:53 pm

so CJ and Keon are headed to the same conference. Probably means a couple head-to-head matchups, although doubt they'd guard one another.