KAEO: CJ Jackson

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MikeUMA
Site Admin

KAEO: CJ Jackson

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:12 pm

Every recruit that we land gets a thread. We're late on CJ, so let's go.

Anyway, I bring him up because I wonder if he's going to redshirt, or potentially be an odd-man out at the end of the season. We're 11 games in and he has only appeared in 3, for a total of 8 minutes, and two of the games were blowouts. I'm a little surprised we didn't see him at all at Rutgers when it was out of hand, or vs Yale when we were starting to get short-handed without Weeks.

Thoughts?

69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: CJ Jackson

Post by 69MG » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:23 am

Can you redshirt, non-medical, if you have played at all?

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:53 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.jconli ... 1650907002

As of now if you play in 1 game it burns your redshirt eligibility unless it’s for medical reasons. For a medical redshirt you can’t play in more than 30% of your teams games

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:25 am

"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:47 am

What's confusing is that the football rule changed this year: you can play in up to four games. That's the only sport with an exception to the non-medical "one second of one game" rule.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:11 pm

I couldn't see why they brought Jackson to UMass in the first place. When I read about him initially, his experience and accomplishments didn't measure up to the other recruits. Now we see that the coaches basically have no use for him in a game. Even when they are trying to press with only an 8 man rotation. I have to think that if Jackson was the least bit competent they would find time for him. The odd thing is that they gave him a couple of minutes of game time. As a result he can't red-shirt. That suggests to me that they really don't want him around. If they had let him red-shirt then he wouldn't be inclined to transfer except as a grad transfer. Now he might as well transfer. I think he will be invited to leave if the coaches can find the big man recruit they want for 2020. Actually, be not playing him they are already inviting him to leave. I wonder if they brought him here strictly as a favor to somebody in the business. Yes, it's all speculation.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:39 pm

They say he is an extremely likable kid. I wish him well here. If it doesn't work out here, I wish him well elsewhere.
Refuse To Lose!!!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:15 pm

^^ Agreed, Len. It's hard to figure out what the plan is/was for him. We are down bodies and he still isn't seeing the court.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:38 pm

uz2b-len wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:11 pm I couldn't see why they brought Jackson to UMass in the first place. When I read about him initially, his experience and accomplishments didn't measure up to the other recruits. Now we see that the coaches basically have no use for him in a game. Even when they are trying to press with only an 8 man rotation. I have to think that if Jackson was the least bit competent they would find time for him. The odd thing is that they gave him a couple of minutes of game time. As a result he can't red-shirt. That suggests to me that they really don't want him around. If they had let him red-shirt then he wouldn't be inclined to transfer except as a grad transfer. Now he might as well transfer. I think he will be invited to leave if the coaches can find the big man recruit they want for 2020. Actually, be not playing him they are already inviting him to leave. I wonder if they brought him here strictly as a favor to somebody in the business. Yes, it's all speculation.
Wow, that's pretty harsh len. I don't know a lot about the kid but he looks like a pretty good athlete and he certainly looks like a great teammate. Some kids break out a little later than others. I don't think many have seen enough of him to write him off 11 games into a freshman season tho.
Time to Win

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:10 pm

Yeah, I definitely recognized it was harsh as I was writing it. But why the heck would you have a guy on the roster that doesn't play even when you're shorthanded? But you make it impossible for him to Redshirt?
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:17 pm

I think the strategic red shirt was an ok idea for the type of project guys who red shirted under DK.

MM seems to be bringing in kids with a little more polish and prep school experience but sometimes less. They already did an extra year of prep, probably don't want to redshirt, idk.

Not that I'm the best to judge. Just seems to me McCall is less interested in high ceiling projects like Putney and prefers Prep School kids who start day 1 with a little more experience.
Refuse To Lose!!!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:29 pm

I'm sure they see something in him or they wouldn't have taken him. With such a big freshman class, it doesn't make sense to just take a guy for the sake of taking him. I have no idea what they expect out of him, but I do like that he seems like a high character kid
Time to Win

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:31 pm

He's supposed to be a good student too.
Refuse To Lose!!!

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:42 pm

My bad for forgetting the rules. This now reminds me about a kid that Lappas brought down from Canada: Olivier Lamoureux. He was on the 2004-05 team, and played a whopping 93 seconds (in one game) in the season. That cost him a year of eligibility.
https://umasshoops.com/news/2005-06/lam ... 050726.htm

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:05 am

Refuse To Lose!!!