KAEO: CJ Jackson

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: CJ Jackson

Post by MJatUM » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:17 pm

To add on top of everything people have already posted, it doesn't take a Twitter sleuth to see he is obviously not very happy with his limited PT. He seems like a great kid and EVERYBODY that has spoken about him has sung his praises as a good locker room guy. From what McCall has said in the past it appears to be his defense that isn't up to snuff in the coaching staffs eyes. His dad (CJ's) has also been pretty vocal on Twitter about the lack of PT his son is getting. Not calling people out or anything it's been more of a why not give CJ a shot attitude.

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:06 pm

^
I haven’t seen any of the tweets, what have they been saying?

Badger13
Freshman

Post by Badger13 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:30 am

Kelz626 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:06 pm ^
I haven’t seen any of the tweets, what have they been saying?
I just saw on Instagram that he is counting down the days until he’s home for Xmas?! I have only seen posts that include him hanging with the other freshman and going to Tre little sisters basketball games...seems like a team player? I just figure the coaches must see something that they figure he’s not ready for in games?

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:30 am

I took a quick run through his tweet timeline. I don’t see any indication he’s unhappy. Maybe a little frustrated, but that should be expected given his lack of playing time. Mostly what I saw is a kid committed to working hard to make himself better.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:58 am

I hope he gets a good 10 minutes against Maine
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:38 pm

https://www.gazettenet.com/UMass-down-t ... l-31452068
One player who will definitely see his role increase with the current injury situation is freshman C.J. Jackson, who has played a total of eight minutes and appeared in just three of UMass’ first 11 games. Known as a talented offensive player, Jackson’s defense is the main reason the Atlanta native as been a rarely used reserve to begin the season.

McCall said he thought Wednesday was one of Jackson’s better practices since arriving in Amherst and is hopeful that’s a sign of Jackson’s maturation as a player.

“It’s an opportunity for him,” McCall said. “I told our staff (Thursday) morning that I thought C.J. had a really good day yesterday playing. He’s got some ability offensively, but his defense and his instincts defensively yesterday – that’s really where I’ve been on him about is making physical plays and being able to get different things into the game defensively because he’s got the natural offensive ability and talent. It will give him an opportunity (Friday) and we’ll see how the game goes and that will dictate a lot of lineups.”

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:44 pm

A pleasant surprise tonight

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:51 pm

+1. I liked everything about his game today. 3 very nice steals and his 10 points were needed with TJ out of action.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:43 pm

Time to dust off the CJ thread. The mystery surrounding his use continues.

CJ got the start last night, his first. A bit of a shakeup was due after the GW game debacle, and McCall mentioned in the pre-game radio that he was going with the guys who had good recent practices. CJ was one of them. OK, good for him.

Well it didn't go great. He had a turnover in the first two minutes, then a minute later, jacked up a 3 just 8 seconds after we got a rebound on the other end. Yanked out. He got back in later on in the first, hit a couple of free throws, but then rode the bench for the entire second half. Total of 8 minutes played.

Wonder what he showed in practice to earn the start, because it didn't appear to translate into the game. Based on that, looks like he'll continue to be the last scholarship option to see playing time.

CapeCodBruiser
Senior

Post by CapeCodBruiser » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:04 pm

I have been up to Mullins for three of the A10 games. When there is say 12:22 left on the game clock with a stoppage and UMass has the ball I would like to see CJ come in for the offensive possession before the under 12 media or other media timeout. I think he has a better chance from what I have seen of making an outside bucket than anyone but 33 and 12. I would bring out 33, 12, 2, 5 and CJ. 5 is a great rebounder and then we would have 4 guys who I think are our better shooters. When you watch those locker room celebrations you have to feel for CJ sitting there at his stall and not getting PT. Not sure what the situation is but I think he will get a chance to contribute before the season shuts down.

“You just can’t beat the person who won’t give up.” ―Babe Ruth

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:56 pm

I've been to Mullins for all the a10 games except VCU. (I was sick.) I can tell you that s much as I like the kid, CJ is not comfortable in the offense at this point and doesn't make good choices.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:44 am

^
Definitely. I think the coaches tell him to get in there and make an impact so he forces it a bit.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:47 pm

7 minutes against Richmond in a blowout. Why not give the kid some time to play and get a little comfortable to see how he does? Getting a few minutes every couple weeks isn't enough to feel like you're in it
Time to Win

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:30 pm

My guess is that he's not in their future plans so they are going with the core guys to get them more experience, even in games where the team doesn't have it, or is getting blown out. Just tea-leave reading on my part.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:39 pm

I could see that, but I think in that situation giving a kid some pt in an out of hand game wouldn't hurt. Kid has been a great teammate and I'm sure busts his ass whether or not he's in their future plans. Give him some time out of respect. Nobody is getting anything out of that game
Time to Win