KAEO: Sean East

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: Sean East

Post by NilesGold » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:11 pm

Camby4Life wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:17 am Imagine the hype on here if Umass was getting a freshmen transfer who put up the numbers of East.
We were hyped for Derrick Gordon, myself included. We overlooked some red flags that were there his freshman year at WKU, particularly his shooting percentages.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:12 pm

inthescoop wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:46 pm Reality: UMass Fans - "This PG who averaged 1.4 PPG last season is the going to dominate the A-10 next season"
Who has said that Fernandes is going to dominate the A10?

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:17 pm

I don't even think they were that harsh. He clearly had some growing pains in the middle of the season like you'd expect any Freshman that's not a 5-star recruit to have. And this is coming from someone who really liked his game and is bummed he's no longer here.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:40 pm

I don’t think anyone was particularly hard on East.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:33 pm

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:52 pm

If East was able to get his waiver this quickly, you would think that we would hear about Fernandes very soon. However, we know that the NCAA doesn't work that way.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:40 pm

69MG wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:52 pm If East was able to get his waiver this quickly, you would think that we would hear about Fernandes very soon. However, we know that the NCAA doesn't work that way.
If the school you are leaving is backing your waiver request you are more likely to both get it and hear quickly.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:29 am

^ Isn't Gregg Marshall pretty well known as a strong backer of his kids that decide to transfer out? Should be good for Noah.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:19 pm

It might be different in Sean's case, where the coaches wanted him to leave, and Noah's, where he was part of a dysfunctional player situation where a bunch of guys fled. Then there's this, a definite non-denial if I ever saw one.
Marshall has also seen the Twitter rumors that he is on the brink of accepting a head coaching job elsewhere, which is why the players are leaving.
“If I was leaving, I wouldn’t be grinding on these recruiting calls 24 hours a day,” Marshall said from in his home in east Wichita, which has become the de facto program headquarters with assistants watching film and calling recruits at all hours of the day. “We’re working hard to get our roster back. And I love the nucleus that we have coming back, I really do.”
Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/w ... rylink=cpy
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:23 pm

Marshall is putting a lot of blame on the players here, several quotes I found interesting below:

“Of course you don’t want to see that many guys leave at once, but you also don’t want to see that many guys stay that are unhappy with their role,” Marshall said. “You’re saying those guys played 24 minutes a game, but what I’m telling you is that’s not enough. They weren’t pleased with that. My job is to try to win and their job is to try to play as much as they can.”

“I didn’t do a very good job of managing the personalities. We basically had 13 starters. We had a lot of really, really good players. But you can’t play that many, so no one was happy.”

“I’ll put it this way, in college basketball it seems now that you not only have to recruit new players but you have to recruit your own team every day,” Marshall said. “And that’s not going to change. It’s only going to get worse.”

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:03 am

Ha, what a cry baby. My team is too talented, wah wah. A lot of coaches out there wish they had that problem. At least he admits he didn't do a very good job managing the personalities.

I've always been more of the mindset that you recruit a team and not just talent, i.e. don't just recruit the most talented players, recruit the guys that fit roles and your system. I know that also has drawbacks because of all the transferring going on, but you need role players, glue guys, etc. He's had a really good track record so who am I to argue, but those quotes come off as a bit whiny.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:14 am

MJatUM wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:23 pm “I’ll put it this way, in college basketball it seems now that you not only have to recruit new players but you have to recruit your own team every day,” Marshall said. “And that’s not going to change. It’s only going to get worse.”
Sounds like a joy to be around. Love me a coach who sweet talks players into coming to his school, then once they're there complains that he might have to actually make them want to stay. I bet he'll really thrive when immediate eligibility for transfers passes.

bobolink
Senior

Post by bobolink » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:31 pm

Sean started for Bradley today vs. Toledo and led the team in minutes (33), assists (8), rebounds (6) and turnovers (3). Hated to see him go, but doubt we'll miss him much given Noah Fernandes, Kolton and Javohn.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:38 pm

Sean will do well. Good kid.

I'm hoping Noah kicks ass, as I expect.
Refuse To Lose!!!

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:01 pm

Sean in a less then spectacular game (5 pts, 5 rebs, 3 asts) against Xavier today with Bradley losing by 1.